Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vigil - BBC1

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Vigil - BBC1

Postby pje16 » September 26th, 2021, 8:19 pm

XFool wrote:
AWOL wrote:
moorfield wrote:Anyway we digress. Any predictions for tomorrows night?

Joke suggestion... the police woman arranged the whole thing as her head is so messed up over her previous underwater experience that she never wants anyone to go in an underwater vehicle again, yet she is so messed up she is unaware of her own machinations. Boom!

Going forward with that...

None of it is real! She's had a breakdown and it's all taking place in her head. :)

Anyone remember Dallas
https://dallas.fandom.com/wiki/The_Dream_Season
Dreams are the biggest con in scriptwriting

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 26th, 2021, 8:38 pm

On BBC4 tonight 10pm
How to build a nuclear submarine
presumbaay of interest to those who have kept us amused with the on-board anomalies :D

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 26th, 2021, 9:58 pm

Time to decompress! :)

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » September 26th, 2021, 10:05 pm

Well the ending was brighter than I expected although we never real got a motive. Just some guy bein' a knob.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 26th, 2021, 11:50 pm

Vigil finale review – an anxiety-inducing horror spectacular

The Guardian

A clock-ticking, claustrophobic finale had DI Silva in a cat-and-mouse game with a shifty Russian asset. If only they’d given her a map

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 27th, 2021, 7:34 am

Well, it's all over now, and happy things resulted to the right people (on the whole). I thought the end with Amy, Poppy and her girlfriend was handled very well without OTT in the slushiness department. All's well that ends well as Shakespeare observed.

As to the goings on on Vigil, I'm not quite how the XO turned up in the nick of time like that - it seemed like a dreadful cut without a bridging piece to how he twigged what was going on. And why wasn't there a security team shortly following him if he'd been sent of to investigate. And in the whirlwind MI5/military interviews afterwards, it was difficult to keep up...

Anyhow, what happened happened and the scriptwriters got out of the puzzle they had set themselves in their creative writing class.

One of the best things to be broadcast just recently but then, there hasn't been much to compete with it.

Arb.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 27th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Well to follow up there is How to Build A Nuclear Submarine on BBC4. Might be of interest, particularly if BAE is paying some of your dividends ...

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 27th, 2021, 2:37 pm

Immersion, I think is the term used for cinema. Trying to take you inside the film. Use a big screen and surround sound so you experience the film rather than just watch it.

Unfortunately this kept dragging me out of the film. I agreed with Mrs G not to say a word about any mistakes, take brain out and just try and enjoy it for what it was supposed to be, drama. Ignore all the politics too.

This was like watching a film on Halloween with kids knocking on your door every 2 minutes and spoiling it. Reminds me of the 2020 film Shadow in the Cloud. With Chloë Grace Moretz hanging outside a WWII plane and it doesnt even blow her hair.

I know you cant get perfect realism but sometimes its laughably bad. Some comedies do parodies of them selves and I wondered if this was really the case here but no. So being dragged out of the drama all the time spoiled it for me.

On the positive side it was in UHD (does that make the mistakes easier to see?) Sound was usual BBC. It gets a good score on IMDB and good viewing numbers. I wonder how many of those 10m were like me though. Maybe I spoiled it for myself by guessing the baddy at the start. Luck or just following the tropes!

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » September 27th, 2021, 3:39 pm

We didn't watch this for the simple reason that I have a relative who used to serve in submarines so I couldn't be bothered having to listen to his continuous moaning about all the mistakes etc. However I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed this discussion and critique of the series - in fact I nearly wet myself laughing at some of your comments/suggestions. Thank you for a very enjoyable read.

R6

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » September 27th, 2021, 4:13 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Well, it's all over now, and happy things resulted to the right people (on the whole). I thought the end with Amy, Poppy and her girlfriend was handled very well without OTT in the slushiness department. All's well that ends well as Shakespeare observed.

As to the goings on on Vigil, I'm not quite how the XO turned up in the nick of time like that - it seemed like a dreadful cut without a bridging piece to how he twigged what was going on. And why wasn't there a security team shortly following him if he'd been sent of to investigate. And in the whirlwind MI5/military interviews afterwards, it was difficult to keep up...

Yep, I agree - the end could have been a lot worse - a lot more slushy, a lot more politics-preachy, but it wasn't. They knew that the Morse (well, random tapping) was coming from the bow, and it's not like there's huge amounts of space for people to be hinding up the pointy end, especially since they knew there was activity in the torpedo room in connection with the disposal of The Box of Death.

I had more of a problem with the fact that she had to go via the missile tubes when going from the torpedo room to the control room.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 27th, 2021, 11:55 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:I had more of a problem with the fact that she had to go via the missile tubes when going from the torpedo room to the control room.

I assumed aft torpedoes were a thing!
Thanks for putting me right
-sd

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » September 28th, 2021, 1:18 am

servodude wrote:I assumed aft torpedoes were a thing!

They were a thing in WWII and immediately afterwards when space was at a premium and they could fit a couple of tubes in the stern. But as nuclear power allowed bigger boats there was less pressure on space, and the development of wire-guided torpedoes meant you really didn't want torpedoes trailing guide wires anywhere near the propellor.

The Oberons were about the last Western subs to have aft tubes, and allegedly once wire-guided torpedoes came in then the aft tubes were used for beer...

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 28th, 2021, 8:54 am

I think the script came from Scooby Doo:

Let's split up to investigate.
The baddy was the first person she met on the scene.

:lol:

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 28th, 2021, 9:28 am

gryffron wrote:I think the script came from Scooby Doo:

Yeah but there were only 10 crew with speaking parts?
And only a handful that had done the requisite number of looks over the shoulder in shot.
Much like Scooby Doo now I think about it ;)

-sd

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 28th, 2021, 9:28 am

gryffron wrote:I think the script came from Scooby Doo:

I had trouble all the way through getting past Johnson from Peep Show. :lol:

"It should take 45 minutes, I'm done in 10. Stick that up your dojo."

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”