Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Don't Look Up

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Don't Look Up

Postby zico » January 5th, 2022, 7:50 pm

7/10. Sprawling satire on humanity's (actually USA's) response to a potential apocalyptic event of a massive comet strike on earth. Stellar cast with Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo Di Caprio, Meryl Streep, Mark Rylance and Cate Blanchett.

Audience reactions have been quite good, However it's had quite a panning from critics - I think partly because of the obvious attacks on climate denial, but also because it's a bit of a mess.

I've marked this mainly on its ambition and sheer range of targets (climate denial, Trumpism, social media, Elon Musk types, general stupid behaviour) but this is a film that badly needs better editing and focus. A sub-plot with Cate Blanchett and Leonardo Di Caprio seems to have been added purely to give them more screen time, and adds very little to the film. It's the sort of film where you're not sure where it's going, but have the feeling that the director and editor also wasn't sure where it was going. It's interesting throughout, in part because you're never sure when the next sudden change of direction will be.

Where the film really scores is in the general accuracy in its swipes at its many targets. It's satire, but far too much of it felt uncomfortably like a forewarning of how humanity would actually tackle a major crisis (as well as being a commentary on how humanity actually does tackle major crises). The section when the plot brings the film title into play is particularly effective.

Jennifer Lawrence plays Jennifer Lawrence once again, and provides most of the scattering of laughs in the film.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Don't Look Up

Postby Lootman » January 5th, 2022, 7:57 pm

Yes, this movie is all over the place. Like you I found the flings that the two scientists had to be totally gratuitous and added nothing other than a little titillation.

And yes, I guess it was a snide poke at climate change denial, which would explain Di Caprio getting all excited about it. But it was a blunt instrument in that regard, as those who resisted the claims were made so ridiculous (as wonderful as Streep is at these kinds of roles) that it rather blunted the skewering.

Rylance was beyond creepy in a mad genius kind of way. Was he supposed to be Musk, Bezos or Zuckerburg? Hard to tell.

Some good acting, a wayward plot with a ridiculous ending, and too political for my liking.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 7th, 2022, 12:55 pm

zico wrote:7/10. Sprawling satire on humanity's (actually USA's) response to a potential apocalyptic event of a massive comet strike on earth. Stellar cast with Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo Di Caprio, Meryl Streep, Mark Rylance and Cate Blanchett.

Audience reactions have been quite good, However it's had quite a panning from critics - I think partly because of the obvious attacks on climate denial, but also because it's a bit of a mess.

I've marked this mainly on its ambition and sheer range of targets (climate denial, Trumpism, social media, Elon Musk types, general stupid behaviour) but this is a film that badly needs better editing and focus. A sub-plot with Cate Blanchett and Leonardo Di Caprio seems to have been added purely to give them more screen time, and adds very little to the film. It's the sort of film where you're not sure where it's going, but have the feeling that the director and editor also wasn't sure where it was going. It's interesting throughout, in part because you're never sure when the next sudden change of direction will be.

Where the film really scores is in the general accuracy in its swipes at its many targets. It's satire, but far too much of it felt uncomfortably like a forewarning of how humanity would actually tackle a major crisis (as well as being a commentary on how humanity actually does tackle major crises). The section when the plot brings the film title into play is particularly effective.

Jennifer Lawrence plays Jennifer Lawrence once again, and provides most of the scattering of laughs in the film.

Yes, I have mixed feelings as well. As you say, a bit of a mess. It was only when Meryl Streep appeared as the president that I twigged that it was perhaps a black comedy, but it seemed to stay clear of being too obvious. I loved it when she was smoking with a huge sign 'Inflammable' behind her.

Funny, serious, thought-provoking?

Steve

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 7th, 2022, 1:20 pm

stevensfo wrote:
zico wrote:7/10. Sprawling satire on humanity's (actually USA's) response to a potential apocalyptic event of a massive comet strike on earth. Stellar cast with Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo Di Caprio, Meryl Streep, Mark Rylance and Cate Blanchett.

Yes, I have mixed feelings as well. As you say, a bit of a mess. It was only when Meryl Streep appeared as the president that I twigged that it was perhaps a black comedy, but it seemed to stay clear of being too obvious. I loved it when she was smoking with a huge sign 'Inflammable' behind her.

Steve

Actually I missed the post credits on the proper watch (saw them when I found out they were there!)
- probably because I thought it had gone on long enough

Wasn't bad by any means - but just a tad too rambling, a bit incoherent, things taking longer than they should, not very coherent, repetitive, samey, well done but ultimately saying the same thing a few different ways.

Liked the impersonation of Michael Shannon that Leo put towards it - and Mark Rylance as Paul Woodhouse was a stand out

A bit of judicious editing would have got it an 8 out of 10 but it's probably a 6.5 from me because it's not Network but it wants to be (and thinks it can leave stuff in just because the scene worked on its own)

-sd

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 7th, 2022, 1:36 pm

servodude wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Steve

Spoiler alert much?

-sd

Good point! I've reported it and asked for my last line to be omitted.

I think you summed it up very well. Just too long and repetitive. Maybe more enjoyable as an obvious spoof, rather than trying to be too clever.

Steve

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 7th, 2022, 1:43 pm

stevensfo wrote:
servodude wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Steve

Spoiler alert much?

-sd

Good point! I've reported it and asked for my last line to be omitted.

I think you summed it up very well. Just too long and repetitive. Maybe more enjoyable as an obvious spoof, rather than trying to be too clever.

Steve

Wouldn't worry too much - half our cohort went to bed and asked how it finished in the morning ("no go on tell me I probably won't watch the rest of it")
- no one disliked it but it didn't really hold their attention
- perhaps knowning THERE IS an end will encourage folk to stick with it?

-sd

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » January 17th, 2022, 1:00 pm

Rylance was beyond creepy in a mad genius kind of way. Was he supposed to be Musk, Bezos or Zuckerburg?

I would add a dash of Dr Strangelove into the mix.

The post credits sequence was totally missed by the OH who had watched the film before me. I am sure given the 2/3 minutes of credits, quite a lot of viewers would have missed - particularly as the film is long (138 mins). This got me thinking about other films with a post credits sequence. The one that sticks out the most is Carrie (original version). No spoilers so will stop there.

I was entertained by DLU - as mentioned could have been tighter with some editing. In addition to those already mentioned - great cameo by Ron Perlman - with also a final very short clip towards the end to watch out for. 7.3 on IMDB - which is spot on.

Clearly the critics hated this en masse - maybe took it too seriously because this more about politics and exploitation than climate change per se.

T7

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”