Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Showtrial

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Showtrial

Postby Arborbridge » November 22nd, 2021, 1:37 pm

bluedonkey wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I'm one of those dinosaurs that prefer to watch a serial as it is broadcast, so I am still going along with Showtrial week by week.

Arb.

I used to do that but I find my memory is no longer good enough to remember what happened a week ago!

Well, yes - I'm geting a bit like that - especially if I am watching another series too. Just started the Steig Larsson series on BBC4, so at least that's definitely different and not another polise series like Dalgliesh.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 22nd, 2021, 1:39 pm

todthedog wrote:Enjoyed this one.
Watched one episode a night so still up to speed come the following day.

Finding Shetland good but spend the beginning of each episode taken up trying to remember who did what to whom and why.

If I speed things up, I think I should run out of stuff to watch.
Then I'd have to get up and do something!

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 22nd, 2021, 3:34 pm

bluedonkey wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I'm one of those dinosaurs that prefer to watch a serial as it is broadcast, so I am still going along with Showtrial week by week.

Arb.

I used to do that but I find my memory is no longer good enough to remember what happened a week ago!

I now find that some of the plots are so complicated that I don't understand what's happening while I'm watching, never mind remember it a week later. Not helped by poor sound quality and mumbling.

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 22nd, 2021, 3:36 pm

kiloran wrote:
bluedonkey wrote:

Arb.

I now find that some of the plots are so complicated that I don't understand what's happening while I'm watching, never mind remember it a week later. Not helped by poor sound quality and mumbling.

--kiloran

That's correct for me too. It's particularly true of Silent Witness which is usually so convolute that I wonder if the scriptwriter understood it.
If often find I understand what happened, but not quite why - or sometimes the motive seems just not strong enough.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 29th, 2021, 4:45 pm

I finished Showtrial last night, and it has proved one of the best things I have seen for a long while.

Spoiler alert:

Why was the missing video evidence not produced in court? Had it been deleted, or was this some technical issue around disclosure of evidence? And I'm not sure why James hesistated: it was new evidence and he couldn't possibly not allow it to be put forward.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 29th, 2021, 7:46 pm

Spoilers from here on!

Arborbridge wrote:I finished Showtrial last night, and it has proved one of the best things I have seen for a long while.

Glad of that, was wondering, given your earlier comments, if you wanted nothing less than a full Poirot style denouement at the end!

As it happened, I had a bad-back day yesterday more or less confining me to the sofa, and there wasn't much else on of interest, so I watched the whole series again! :D Just as good second time round, and of course the chance, with pre-knowledge, to note the significance of some clues and events.

On why the missing video evidence wasn't produced in court, according to DI Cassidy on her re-examination, it was "misplaced" (ahem!). See from 42m30s. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p09twhh9/showtrial-series-1-episode-5

On James, I think he was always going to end up doing the right thing, but his agonising was 'cos he knew he'd be sabotaging his career, and there's also his never quite spelt out past history with Cleo, where she did the right thing and suffered. See from 18m00s. And of course there's his friendship with Hannah's mum.

Anyway, I felt the jury came to the right verdicts the first time I saw it, and more so the second -- but still loved the closing scene! :D And some think there's no ambiguity: https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/showtrial-ending-how-the-flashbacks-tell-the-true-story/

Looks like the Beeb have another good sounding courtroom drama set up for us next Sunday: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09yn1z8

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 29th, 2021, 7:52 pm

mc2fool wrote:Looks like the Beeb have another good sounding courtroom drama set up for us next Sunday: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09yn1z8

Thanks, I'll give that a go
cheers

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 29th, 2021, 11:38 pm

Spoilers from here on!

So difficult to discuss openly when some people haven't watched this.If you haven't, don't read on

I'm glad you gave me that denofgeek link, which reveals a level of sublety in the flashbacks I hadn't picked up on except subliminally. The acting in general was just as I like it - less is more - particularly between Talitha and her lawyer. That final scene was a tour de force, a masterpiece of both writing and acting. For what it's worth, I believe Talitha was indulging in another wicked leg pull. And Tracy Ifeachor's response, the way she reacted was supreme acting: I do hope we see her again. I respect them for not making it too sentimental, but my instinct said somone needs to give that girl a big hug.
The trial was amazing - probably some of the most intense watching/listening since Helen Archer's stab event. Talitha really played it well with the razor sharp responses (as her lawyer said, "she can be quite funny") and didn't go wild on the abuse side - just let it sink in slowly, and also showed restraint in not parcelling out blame, thus underlining that she was not a monster. The only problem I have is that Talitha was supposed to be an entitled cow etc, which was well shown at the outset, but frankly I grew to like her a great deal quite early on and was convinced she was telling the truth. Obnoxious, yes, but I loved that freedom she had just not to care - very Zen. And under it all was this vein of humour and the whimsical smile. I was certainly "rooting" for her.

I often judge a film by whether I am still thinking it through after a day or two, and this one scores highly in that way. I've already persuaded a couple of other friends to watch it - I do hope they aren't let down!

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 30th, 2021, 7:02 am

Arborbridge wrote:Spoilers from here on!

So difficult to discuss openly when some people haven't watched this.If you haven't, don't read on

Please discuss as much as you like...
I do get fed up with spoiler alerts
I think they should be reserved for cinema showings where someone has been and others haven't
but Come on,,,, if it is on TV everyone has the opportunity to watch and if you haven't can you really expect everyone to "tip-toe" around you in case you hear/read about it
This is another example of the touchy/feely world we seem to live on these days :roll:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 30th, 2021, 7:18 am

pje16 wrote:

I think they should be reserved for cinema showings where someone has been and others haven't
but Come on,,,, if it is on TV everyone has the opportunity to watch and if you haven't can you really expect everyone to "tip-toe" around you in case you hear/read about it
This is another example of the touchy/feely world we seem to live on these days :roll:

I just don't like to spoil it for other people, if I can help it.
Is that such a bad sentiment on my part?
In any case. although people have had a chance to see it, they may not have done so for a variety of reasons - that is just part of the world we live in. I know at least two people who have just started watching it: would they be impressed if I went up to them and started explaning what exactly had happened in the last episode?
No, so I don't intend to do so here either - although I may do so accidentally, or without thinking for which I would apologise.

Arb.

*to modify the old advice: "If you don't like a spoiler alert, you can always not read them" :)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 30th, 2021, 8:10 am

please don't get me wrong
I wasn't having a go
My view is that if you missed it and don't want to know, stay offine
and heavens above... try not to look at your phone until you have seen it
that last one is very hard hard for some people :roll:

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 30th, 2021, 9:28 am

Arborbridge wrote:
pje16 wrote:

I just don't like to spoil it for other people, if I can help it.
Is that such a bad sentiment on my part?
In any case. although people have had a chance to see it, they may not have done so for a variety of reasons - that is just part of the world we live in. I know at least two people who have just started watching it: would they be impressed if I went up to them and started explaning what exactly had happened in the last episode?
No, so I don't intend to do so here either - although I may do so accidentally, or without thinking for which I would apologise.

Arb.

*to modify the old advice: "If you don't like a spoiler alert, you can always not read them" :)

Might be worth a poll about the on "on TV" thing
I don't think I've let the TV tell me when to watch anything other than sorry sport for years
- we decide what we want to see and when we want to see it

Sometimes I've even taken advice from this forum; so spoiler always alerts are always appreciated :)

-sd

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » November 30th, 2021, 9:31 am

pje16 wrote:please don't get me wrong
I wasn't having a go
My view is that if you missed it and don't want to know, stay offine
and heavens above... try not to look at your phone until you have seen it
that last one is very hard hard for some people :roll:

There is another angle:

People often post here to recommend films/programmes they think others may like. Readers of the board may find this a useful way of finding stuff worth watching, especially when they get to know others' tastes. If there is a danger that story lines could be given away without warning then people will stop looking at threads on things they haven't seen and that benefit of the board will be lost.

Like wearing a mask in a shop, surely it isn't a big deal putting up with the occasional "spoiler alert".

Edit: Beaten to it!

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 30th, 2021, 9:37 am

aahh now that is a great point I hadn't thought of
totally agree now :)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 30th, 2021, 1:58 pm

Spoilers from here on!
Arborbridge wrote:I'm glad you gave me that denofgeek link, which reveals a level of sublety in the flashbacks I hadn't picked up on except subliminally.

I gave it as a view you might find of interest, but TBH I think it's far too unequivocal and any good prosecution barrister would rip it to pieces pretty quickly!

For a start their assertion that "The real evidence though, is that fantasy ‘flashback’" is an oxymoron! And to go on to say that it "never happened, because Talitha was the one telling the truth" is just circular reasoning. And as for their idea that the scarf "would have been visible even under the jacket", well, I'd read the article before rewatching the series and I paid very careful attention to those parts, in fact rewinding and rewatching those scenes several times, and I think that claim is just nonsense. Sure, I couldn't see the scarf but it could easily have been out of view under the jacket. In fact, I suspect that's exactly why the scriptwriters put the jacket on her in those scenes, to make it ambiguous as to whether she had it or not! :D

The only problem I have is that Talitha was supposed to be an entitled cow etc, which was well shown at the outset, but frankly I grew to like her a great deal quite early on and was convinced she was telling the truth. Obnoxious, yes, but I loved that freedom she had just not to care - very Zen. And under it all was this vein of humour and the whimsical smile. I was certainly "rooting" for her.

Ah, the scriptwriters managed to manipulate you and your feelings about her, eh? :D Yeah, me too, and indeed, I think that was pretty much the whole point, and that they succeeded just reflects how good they were at it. And yes, the interplay between Celine Buckens and Tracy Ifeachor was superb.

Generally a class act all round and I recommend it to anybody ... although of course anyone who hasn't seen it already probably stopped reading at the first spoiler alert above ... ;)

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 17th, 2022, 11:17 pm

Just finished this tonight. It's taken a while to get around to it.

I was quite impressed and the boss, having fallen asleep mid episode 3 asked for a rewatch of the half she missed.

She then wanted to finish the last two. I pointed out that we were watching it with other parties who were currently not available and she said put it on anyway.

Now we need an alibi or to practice our shock faces when questioned about the other party asking to watch the rest.

Something on the BBC that watched, not happened for a while.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”