Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Sherwood

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Sherwood

Postby terminal7 » June 15th, 2022, 4:49 pm

Just started on BBC1 with a long list of where are they now TV actors of yonder year. Hence well acted and partially set in oop north Thatcher/Miners Strike time. First episode just about kept me engaged as it improved - will give it another episode.

T7

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Sherwood

Postby pje16 » June 15th, 2022, 4:54 pm

Episode 2 was on last night
I'm enjoying it as well

Robert Glenister looks a lot older then I remember :lol:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 15th, 2022, 5:29 pm

I'm not sure...

Seems to follow the house style for current crime dramas: Lots of short intercut scenes. A very brooding atmosphere... Some humour.

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » June 16th, 2022, 8:22 am

We watched the first two episodes last night and were thoroughly engaged. A good story, well presented about a troublesome period of our history.

I did wonder how a similar strike would be handled today, with police armed response teams deployed with a certain amount of abandon.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 21st, 2022, 9:50 am

As we head into the summer of discontent, episode 3 was a painful reminder of how labour dispute resentments continue through the decades. Almost every new character is played by a stalwart of TV acting - though longevity on this series is not guaranteed by eminency. Great series - BBC needed it.

T7

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 29th, 2022, 10:40 am

Just finished the final episode. This is surely one of the best series BBC has done in years. The acting just gets better as some of the minor roles expand as the series progresses. The cast call represents what's best in British TV acting over the last 30 years.

I refrain from saying much more as some of you may not have seen the final episode(s). Just to say a frightening reminder of the domestic politics of the 1980s and an uncomfortable lesson of what we are just starting to experience.

Waiting for Dorries to provide her usual unfounded insightful comments.

T7

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 29th, 2022, 10:51 am

What happened to Episode 5
The Beeb thought tennis was more important on Monday
and on Sky last night there was no link back to it
I can't be bothered with iPlayer now as I have seen the end
WHY do the Beeb do that ( Grrrrrr)

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 29th, 2022, 11:09 am

pje16 wrote:What happened to Episode 5
The Beeb thought tennis was more important on Monday
and on Sky last night there was no link back to it
I can't be bothered with iPlayer now as I have seen the end
WHY do the Beeb do that ( Grrrrrr)

Shame - E5 was the best episode - E6 I thought became a little stretched in last 20 mins together with a poor ending.

Why do BBC do it? I suspect that they show little 'top' sport events now that they are concerned they would be criticised by 'cutting' short a Brit's appearance.

T7

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 29th, 2022, 11:37 am

terminal7 wrote:Why do BBC do it? I suspect that they show little 'top' sport events now that they are concerned they would be criticised by 'cutting' short a Brit's appearance.
T7

Yes but they could have pushed it back an hour or two
they also have BBC2 and BBC4 to put it on

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 29th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Totally agree. Seems counterproductive when you are trying to maintain a weekly audience to follow a series.

T7

I tend to watch record series or watch on catch-up - then view when convenient

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 30th, 2022, 6:08 pm

Sod and his flamin' law. We're on holiday at the moment, read this thread and thought we'd give it a go. Thoroughly enjoyed first two episodes, and remember the strikes well as we live in N. Wales a big mining area. Hells teeth, power cut this morning which wiped out wifi, owners away in Cornwall so it looks as though we'll have to wait until we get home to watch remaining episodes!!!! Normal TV total crap so we've been catching up with old series which we missed first time around, such as New Tricks. A series which could be resurrected if they could match the actors and find another Dennis Waterman. Thank God for Kindle.

R6

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » July 5th, 2022, 5:04 pm

Internet connection restored so decided to watch rest of series. Suddenly realised that woodland shots looked familiar especially E5. The woods are those at Hawarden and Penymynydd (in one shot Padeswood cement works and Hope mountain clearly visible). Well, I suppose woods are woods are woods.
Thoroughly enjoyed the series and it was great seeing which blast from the past would pop up on screen next. Hope they make another series.

R6

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 5th, 2022, 5:51 pm

Is there a 2nd series?

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 8th, 2022, 8:53 am

monabri wrote:Is there a 2nd series?

Yes

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 8th, 2022, 9:24 am

Watched the last episode last night. I hadn't planned on watching this but reading positive comments I looked it up and thought I would give it a go.

I wasnt sure it it was going to be BBC wokery or some sort of political bias thing. Still having some connections to the minors strike, the 80s etc I thought I would give it a go with the missus alongside.

Strangely not much 80s music in the 80s but maybe the BBC cant afford the royalties now people are stopping paying for the licence fee and spending on Netflix, which by the way is responsible for 80s music getting to No1 in the charts again (Kate Bush running up that hill, Stranger things!)

This was Fiction but based on some real events, one of which the victims family were upset about.

I remember families falling out about the strikes so that bit was covered well. The wokery was limited but it seemed to be against the police quite a bit. Was this done for effect or bias Im not too sure. I do remember that the pickets were violent at the time and I suppose things just kept escalating on both sides and not everyone happy about miners being bussed in from other areas. I would not have liked being a policeman in the middle of all that lot. It strange how a few decades later the left want all the mines closed now. I do remember one pit having a fire and the minors were asked to help put it out but refused. Even when it was pointed out that if they didnt there would be not jobs to got back too and the cutting off your nose to spit your face attitude. I think 2 of the 3 faces were eventually closed permanently with the resulting loss of jobs.

I wonder if we are heading back to something similar right now, strikes and pay demands abound and everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon.

I found the rest of the program just OK but the missus rated it a bit more. I think they were trying to bestow some sort of reconsolidation message and maybe highlight the negative side of the divisions.

I cant see me ever re watching this. it kept my attention mainly and the plot holes were not too bad, there were some silly bits like all those police stood in the open field so spread out which dragged me out of the story occasionally.

Would I watch season 2? Well I cant say im looking forward to it but I might see how some of the reviews go first before deciding. I may or may not have a license when it come out.

martinc
Lemon Pip

Postby martinc » July 8th, 2022, 1:11 pm

The normal view presented in films about the miners strike (Pride etc.) is decent heroic miners oppressed by Maggie's jack-booted thugs in blue. Sherwood was full of painful BBC balance: we had working miners warmly thanking the poilce for their help against violent flying pickets, we had the modern-day met police presented as some kind of paramilitary brigade. There was a weird 5-minute rant from Lindsay Duncan playing a campaigning NUM solictor laying into Thatcher, neolibs, Tony Blair, blah blah blah. I'm sure there was plenty of fist pumping going on in Islington at that.

The whole detective bit was above average I thought and excellent acting too. There's no chance of a second series, unusually no threads were left hanging.

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Postby TahiPanasDua » July 8th, 2022, 6:02 pm

The series was brilliant and seemed realistic enough to bring me back to the Scottish mining villages I lived in until I went to university. As "recently" as the 2010s, I heard stories from relatives of still being shunned as "scabs". The strike had a deeply traumatic and very long lasting effect on the community.

There is still some residual bad feeling but presumably it is fading as the strike participants die off. Even after 40 years, Mrs Thatcher is still seen as the evil one who destroyed entire communities. I wouldn't dare express my own view there that almost everything good and bad I hear about her is true.

TP2

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 8th, 2022, 6:16 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Watched the last episode last night. I hadn't planned on watching this but reading positive comments I looked it up and thought I would give it a go.

I wasnt sure it it was going to be BBC wokery or some sort of political bias thing. Still having some connections to the minors strike, the 80s etc I thought I would give it a go with the missus alongside.

Strangely not much 80s music in the 80s but maybe the BBC cant afford the royalties now people are stopping paying for the licence fee and spending on Netflix, which by the way is responsible for 80s music getting to No1 in the charts again (Kate Bush running up that hill, Stranger things!)

This was Fiction but based on some real events, one of which the victims family were upset about.

I remember families falling out about the strikes so that bit was covered well. The wokery was limited but it seemed to be against the police quite a bit. Was this done for effect or bias Im not too sure. I do remember that the pickets were violent at the time and I suppose things just kept escalating on both sides and not everyone happy about miners being bussed in from other areas. I would not have liked being a policeman in the middle of all that lot. It strange how a few decades later the left want all the mines closed now. I do remember one pit having a fire and the minors were asked to help put it out but refused. Even when it was pointed out that if they didnt there would be not jobs to got back too and the cutting off your nose to spit your face attitude. I think 2 of the 3 faces were eventually closed permanently with the resulting loss of jobs.

I wonder if we are heading back to something similar right now, strikes and pay demands abound and everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon.

I found the rest of the program just OK but the missus rated it a bit more. I think they were trying to bestow some sort of reconsolidation message and maybe highlight the negative side of the divisions.

I cant see me ever re watching this. it kept my attention mainly and the plot holes were not too bad, there were some silly bits like all those police stood in the open field so spread out which dragged me out of the story occasionally.

Would I watch season 2? Well I cant say im looking forward to it but I might see how some of the reviews go first before deciding. I may or may not have a license when it come out.

I find your comments here really quite irritating. This was a TV drama written by someone who has personal experience of the after effects of the 1980s miner's strike. The initial idea came from the death of someone known to the author.

Do we really need to hear your opinion of a TV drama laced with your latter-day, pseudo McCarthy, intellectual outlook? "Woke" this, "Bias" that. :roll:

It was a drama produced and shown on BBC Television. Get over it!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 8th, 2022, 10:12 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
Still having some connections to the minors strike...

Oh how Thatcher's legacy would have been much more warmly remembered, if only she'd been able to sort those little buggers out...

Cheers!

Itsallaguess

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 9th, 2022, 5:58 am

Gerry557 wrote:Still having some connections to the minors strike...

What have the youth got to do with it :lol:

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”