Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

A Man in Full (Netflix)

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
monabri
Lemon Half
Posts: 8488
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 1558 times
Been thanked: 3456 times

A Man in Full (Netflix)

#663713

Postby monabri » May 10th, 2024, 3:17 pm

A six parter.

Nasty business man Charlie Croker sees his empire tumble as he gets his come uppance.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2153
Joined: September 2nd, 2019, 10:23 am
Has thanked: 184 times
Been thanked: 597 times

Re: A Man in Full (Netflix)

#663773

Postby Gerry557 » May 10th, 2024, 9:10 pm

But is it any good?

monabri
Lemon Half
Posts: 8488
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 1558 times
Been thanked: 3456 times

Re: A Man in Full (Netflix)

#663777

Postby monabri » May 10th, 2024, 10:21 pm

Gerry557 wrote:But is it any good?



I enjoyed it.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1285
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:10 pm
Has thanked: 336 times
Been thanked: 738 times

Re: A Man in Full (Netflix)

#663888

Postby nimnarb » May 11th, 2024, 3:54 pm

Thought it was laboured, the theme somewhat badly copied, and the main character played by Jeff Daniels was miscast.
But that's just my opinion..................fwiw.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half
Posts: 8239
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 2924 times
Been thanked: 4037 times

Re: A Man in Full (Netflix)

#664303

Postby bungeejumper » May 14th, 2024, 6:30 pm

I don't have Netflix, so interested to hear what others think, but there are those who say that the whole film is a bio mash-up of Donald Trump and Rupert Murdoch. And from the American reviews I've read, it doesn't look like there's all that much of Tom Wolfe's 1998 novel left in the film. ;)

Maybe that's as well, actually, because Wolfe was pushing his own muscular boundaries some way beyond what a Gen Z audience would probably accept these days. Rape, violence, more rape, then anal rape in a prison, and so on. And along the way, some very unflattering portraits of ethnic minority politics in Atlanta. All rivetingly well written, because he was a rivetingly powerful writer. Although you probably wouldn't have wanted to be stuck in a lift with him for too long.

But tell me, was the famous horse-mating scene in the film? One of the few times when reading a book has made me want to open a window for some fresh air. :lol:

BJ

monabri
Lemon Half
Posts: 8488
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 1558 times
Been thanked: 3456 times

Re: A Man in Full (Netflix)

#664313

Postby monabri » May 14th, 2024, 7:48 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
But tell me, was the famous horse-mating scene in the film? One of the few times when reading a book has made me want to open a window for some fresh air. :lol:

BJ



Yes... :shock:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half
Posts: 8239
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 2924 times
Been thanked: 4037 times

Re: A Man in Full (Netflix)

#664322

Postby bungeejumper » May 14th, 2024, 8:15 pm

monabri wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:But tell me, was the famous horse-mating scene in the film? One of the few times when reading a book has made me want to open a window for some fresh air. :lol:

Yes... :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1285
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:10 pm
Has thanked: 336 times
Been thanked: 738 times

Re: A Man in Full (Netflix)

#664449

Postby nimnarb » May 15th, 2024, 3:30 pm

Pig version, Clarkson's Farm :D

Aleksa
Posts: 7
Joined: April 12th, 2024, 10:37 am

Re: A Man in Full (Netflix)

#664544

Postby Aleksa » May 16th, 2024, 12:12 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I don't have Netflix, so interested to hear what others think, but there are those who say that the whole film is a bio mash-up of Donald Trump and Rupert Murdoch. And from the American reviews I've read, it doesn't look like there's all that much of Tom Wolfe's 1998 novel left in the film. ;)

Maybe that's as well, actually, because Wolfe was pushing his own muscular boundaries some way beyond what a Gen Z audience would probably accept these days. Rape, violence, more rape, then anal rape in a prison, and so on. And along the way, some very unflattering portraits of ethnic minority politics in Atlanta. All rivetingly well written, because he was a rivetingly powerful writer. Although you probably wouldn't have wanted to be stuck in a lift with him for too long.

But tell me, was the famous horse-mating scene in the film? One of the few times when reading a book has made me want to open a window for some fresh air. :lol:

BJ



Sounds like there's a lot of talk about how the film might have strayed from Tom Wolfe's original novel. Some say it's mixed up with bits of Trump and Murdoch. And yeah, the book's got some pretty intense stuff that might not fly with today's audiences. Not sure if they kept the horse-mating scene in the film, but it sure left an impression in the book

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1472
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:18 pm
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 845 times

Re: A Man in Full (Netflix)

#665896

Postby Leothebear » May 26th, 2024, 7:46 am

OK it had its faults, but overall I enjoyed it. 6.5/10


Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests