Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Giri/Haji - the most underrated TV drama of 2019?

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Giri/Haji - the most underrated TV drama of 2019?

Postby BrummieDave » January 10th, 2020, 11:20 am

Finished the eighth and final episode last night and, wow, what an enjoyable time I've had with this series. It's a joint BBC/Netflix production, much better than your average UK TV cop drama (although there have been some good ones), and it held my attention throughout. More intertwined plots than you normally get in several series of a single drama, but without extending any of them into the realms of the unlikely. Very well made, well acted, and with innovative production techniques throughout (I particularly liked the 'watercolour' synopsis at the beginning of each episode).

One to binge on IMHO and available on BBC iPlayer/Catch Up etc.

But don't just take my word for it...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... r3z-addoor

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020 ... ji-review/

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Giri/Haji - the most underrated TV drama of 2019?

Postby monabri » January 10th, 2020, 3:41 pm

It was enjoyable..all except for the "dance routine" at the end. There are definite shades of the BBC though, waving a flag for LGBTQ+.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » January 10th, 2020, 5:03 pm

monabri wrote:It was enjoyable..all except for the "dance routine" at the end. There are definite shades of the BBC though, waving a flag for LGBTQ+.

My comment about "innovative production techniques" was purposely sufficiently vague as to not spoil any surprises for the potential viewer... :roll:

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 12th, 2020, 12:30 am

Of course, there is me thinking its some Indian flick(something about a dancing scene at the end) from Brick Lane but have to peer hard so as not to miss anything as its Japanese with subtitles..First episode had eye strain and makes for a long but so far enjoyable series...about to see episode three. Thx for the heads up. Like the style of filming as well.

Bobwood
Lemon Pip

Postby Bobwood » January 12th, 2020, 11:12 pm

nimnarb wrote:Of course, there is me thinking its some Indian flick(something about a dancing scene at the end) from Brick Lane but have to peer hard so as not to miss anything as its Japanese with subtitles..First episode had eye strain and makes for a long but so far enjoyable series...about to see episode three. Thx for the heads up. Like the style of filming as well.

Apart from episode 1 there are very few scenes with Japanese dialogue and subtitles, certainly not to the extent that they detract in any way. They just add authenticity if anything, and are used when the Japanese characters wish to speak privately without the Brits understanding them.

The title is misleading and has definitely led to the series being less watched that if it had a more mainstream title. I found it to be very good indeed.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 13th, 2020, 2:58 am

Just finished watching. Thought it was excellent, even the "dance scene" which I thought was very clever. Photography and editing well done and knew many parts of London where it was filmed. One of the better series. Now want more.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » January 13th, 2020, 8:17 am

nimnarb wrote:Just finished watching. Thought it was excellent, even the "dance scene" which I thought was very clever. Photography and editing well done and knew many parts of London where it was filmed. One of the better series. Now want more.

You must have rattled through it, kind of addictive eh?

Really pleased you enjoyed it, and whilst it's regrettable that 'the dance scene' was raised on this thread not just because it's a spoiler, but mostly because it's a very insignificantly small part of the series. If anything, it shows the creators have the balls to use new ideas in what could so easily have been just another 'off the shelf' cop drama.

Agree too that with another more accessible title, the series would have reached a far wider audience. It's a classic 'cop from another country travels to London' show, but the title doesn't even hint at this.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”