Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Magnificent Television

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Magnificent Television

Postby bungeejumper » January 10th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Brill, I've got it on the DVD recorder. Will enjoy that.

It's been a good week. Last night the Beeb repeated Jim Al-Khalili's excellent programme on gravity. ;)

The new James May in Japan series on Amazon isn't too shabby either. Quirky would be putting it mildly! But nicely paced and very droll.

BJ

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » January 10th, 2020, 10:17 pm

Talking of magnificent TV, I'm halfway through 'Years and Years'. I tend to stockpile TV series in the summer and watch them when the dark nights close in. All I can say it's a hell of a ride and I feel drained after watching each episode. No spoilers please.

Far fetched ...... ? Not really, just a reflection of a possible future and made for folks like me who have been saying for some time that the whole world is going ******** mad.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 11th, 2020, 6:51 am

Redmires wrote:Talking of magnificent TV, I'm halfway through 'Years and Years'. I tend to stockpile TV series in the summer and watch them when the dark nights close in. All I can say it's a hell of a ride and I feel drained after watching each episode. No spoilers please.

Far fetched ...... ? Not really, just a reflection of a possible future and made for folks like me who have been saying for some time that the whole world is going ******** mad.

It was really very good, but bleak with a good balance of the futuristic and mundane.

I've been binging "Halt and Catch Fire" after it cropped up in a best of the decade list.
The missus asked me if I'd heard of it, so i explained how you could use a fork bomb; not realising it was a TV show. Kind of "Mad Men with computers"

-sd

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 11th, 2020, 8:48 am

LOL, I got the OP's Portillo reference when I saw the programme. Lovely part of the world you've got there, Mr Snorves.

Greetings from Titfield Thunderbolt country. Well, sort of. It's across the county line, about seven miles away. I used to live half a mile from Midsomer Norton station, as was. Some of the inhabitants out there are still living in black and white. ;) But you can get a lot of beer for a shilling.

BJ

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 12th, 2020, 12:33 am

Redmires wrote:Talking of magnificent TV, I'm halfway through 'Years and Years'. I tend to stockpile TV series in the summer and watch them when the dark nights close in. All I can say it's a hell of a ride and I feel drained after watching each episode. No spoilers please.

Seems I'm too late to the party..................says its unavailable???

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 12th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Years and Years is a very good story. Written by the previous Doctor Who writer. Before they replaced him with a diversity co-ordinator.

Years and Years is packed with diversity too. Gay couple and mixed race marriage. But unlike the latest Doctor Who series it doesn't use diversity quotas in place of the story.

Gryff

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 16th, 2020, 1:08 am

James May in Japan, warmed up nicely. I cracked up when he got out the hobnobs, "I'm not playing a cat" and the Bim saga, which is when he really lost it. Too funny. On to the last two episodes I think. Good viewing.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”