Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Uncut Gems

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Uncut Gems

Postby redsturgeon » February 13th, 2020, 7:14 am

Anyone else watched this yet on Netflix.

If you can't stand Adam Sandler please don't be put off, he is brilliant in this story.

An absolutely gripping ride from start to finish.

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Uncut Gems

Postby Itsallaguess » February 13th, 2020, 5:44 pm

redsturgeon wrote:

If you can't stand Adam Sandler please don't be put off, he is brilliant in this story.

Just about all A24 films get my full attention nowadays - they're making some of the best films around at this time in my opinion.

Uncut Gems looks great, and I'll be catching it soon and will report back, but as a big Wes Anderson fan, seeing Adam Sandler go from Punch Drunk Love to this looks like a hell of an arc for anyone...

Trailer here for anyone who's interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTfJp2Ts9X8

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 13th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

Just about all A24 films get my full attention nowadays - they're making some of the best films around at this time in my opinion.

Uncut Gems looks great, and I'll be catching it soon and will report back, but as a big Wes Anderson fan, seeing Adam Sandler go from Punch Drunk Love to this looks like a hell of an arc for anyone...

Trailer here for anyone who's interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTfJp2Ts9X8

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Mark Kermode does an interesting review on youtube but it is 4 minutes in before he stops talking about Punch Drunk Love and starts on Uncut Gems. His thoughts are very much in line with my own on this film.

John

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 13th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Totally bonkers from start to finish. Insane. Superb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 14th, 2020, 10:02 pm

Watched it tonight.

Just sensational.

Not sure I've ever seen a film like it that really got to the heart of a modern-day gambling addiction, and I've got to say that this is also with regards to gambling in ways that I'd not even perhaps considered to be 'gambling' before....

A hell of a film for Sandler to carry for it's entire length, and what a job he did....

Grabs you from the very first minute, and just doesn't let go. Whilst it's hard to have much sympathy at all with Howard, there's no way you can watch this without being completely taken along on the same ride that he's chosen for himself..

Intense and exhilarating for the entire film, that's for sure.

Another gem from the A24 stable...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » February 14th, 2020, 10:29 pm

Where did you see this? Not out in the US I believe.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 15th, 2020, 12:05 pm

On UK Netflix. I'm surprised t is not on US version.

John

Edit
https://www.newsweek.com/uncut-gems-net ... er-1485433

The are going for a cinema release in the US. Streaming later on Prime or Netflix in the summer. Need to get a proxy to watch on UK Netflix.

John

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » February 15th, 2020, 3:24 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Anyone else watched this yet on Netflix.

John

I'm about one hour into it, and hoping to watch the rest tonight/tomorrow.

Only started it late last night and hit the pause button as I was so tired after an hour, both physically because it was late, and mentally from making sure I kept up with the fast moving dialogue!

Agree that Adam Sandler is very different than in his usual type of role.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » February 16th, 2020, 3:58 am

Oh dear, I will be in the minority again. Managed through a VPN and after 10 minutes wondered what I was watching, then 20, then about 40(with the wife wondering what all the loud swearing was all about from the next room) so went outside for a drink, read some reviews to see if I was totally insane and came to the conclusion that I still have a few marbles left as many agreed with me, so sorry to say, went back and removed the film from my viewing and really couldn't take another hour plus of this.

Yes, I understand the gambling addiction and all plus the possible purpose to this whole film, but(call me a prude) just have had enough of loud, screaming, noisy, manic films with every other word the F word. Yes, you will say, it puts the point across with intensity and very much in context with this sort of film. Not for me it doesn't, not in every f..ing sentence. Besides that, the way it started, thought we were going to get some type of film like Blood Diamond as I had no idea what this was about and sure Sandler was good but overall, imho, an absolute jumbled mess of a film even without the f bombs. Sorry.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”