Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Birth of the Cool (film)

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Birth of the Cool (film)

Postby bungeejumper » June 7th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Probably the best music bio film I've ever seen. The bad news (for some), it's about jazz trumpeter Miles Davis, so look away now if that isn't your thing. The slightly less bad news, it's nearly two hours, which is probably stretching it by 30 minutes. But as a no-holds-barred bio of the music scene from post-war to jazz-rock fusion, it breathes authenticity. 93% from Rotten Tomatoes.

A lot of cocaine, an awful lot of bad language, and some painfully honest bits from Davis's autobiography about what an absolute bastard he could be when the drugs were in control. And how badly he treated his women. Some of us sixties/seventies types won't be very comfortable with Davis's admission that he only got into fusion-funk (Bitches' Brew etc) because he could see that it was an easier way to get rich than by playing "proper" music for a living. ;) Ouch, there go a few cherished beliefs....

I completely lost count of the interview vox pops from the rock and blues world - forty, fifty? Immaculately structured. Excuse me while I go and watch it again. :D https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... f-the-cool

BJ

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”