Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Ulysses S Grant - a 3 Part Documentary

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Ulysses S Grant - a 3 Part Documentary

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 2nd, 2020, 8:12 am

For history buffs and those who, like me, find it interesting, there's a reasonable documentary on Now TV called Grant.

AiY

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Re: Ulysses S Grant - a 3 Part Documentary

Postby bluedonkey » November 2nd, 2020, 5:12 pm

I recall a contemporary account describing General Grant's expression as being like that of a "man who had been told to run through a brick wall and had resolved to do it."

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 2nd, 2020, 6:54 pm

bluedonkey wrote:I recall a contemporary account describing General Grant's expression as being like that of a "man who had been told to run through a brick wall and had resolved to do it."

The documentary paints the picture of a below average drunken West Point cadet who as you quote was asked by Lincoln to take the offensive to Lee and the Confederates. He was unrelenting. He was a humble and generous victor.

AiY

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 3rd, 2020, 10:46 am

When I think of the American civil war I always recall the chewing gum cards I used to collect in the 60s as a kid. They depicted scenes of the war and there were some very gory ones which of course were the most sought after.

John

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 3rd, 2020, 10:51 am

redsturgeon wrote:When I think of the American civil war I always recall the chewing gum cards I used to collect in the 60s as a kid. They depicted scenes of the war and there were some very gory ones which of course were the most sought after.

They were also most informative with, from memory, a couple of paragraphs of history. Someone threw mine out, much to my disappointment.

I haven’t searched online*** but weren’t they bubble gum?

*** Couldn’t resist:

https://www.sixtiescity.net/Lifestyle/civilwarcards.htm

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 3rd, 2020, 10:56 am

PinkDalek wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:When I think of the American civil war I always recall the chewing gum cards I used to collect in the 60s as a kid. They depicted scenes of the war and there were some very gory ones which of course were the most sought after.

They were also most informative with, from memory, a couple of paragraphs of history. Someone threw mine out, much to my disappointment.

*** Couldn’t resist:

I stand corrected!

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 3rd, 2020, 11:00 am

redsturgeon wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

*** Couldn’t resist:

I stand corrected!

John

From your link it was great to see the actual cards. What a great site for people of a certain age!

I had to cringe at this though
I actually had a complete set, some were very hard to acquire, and I have no idea what happened to them (along with an almost complete British stamp collection) but I suspect this was disposed of by my mother when I first moved out - along with a 3-foot stack of early DC and marvel comics!!

Do you think he still speaks to his mum?

John

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » November 3rd, 2020, 11:03 am

John

The Ken Burns series of the 'American Civil War' takes some beating. In fact, everything Ken Burns has done takes some beating.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 3rd, 2020, 12:03 pm

Redmires wrote:

John

The Ken Burns series of the 'American Civil War' takes some beating. In fact, everything Ken Burns has done takes some beating.

Is it currently on any of the mainstream channels?

Cheers

AiY

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » November 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Redmires wrote:

John

Is it currently on any of the mainstream channels?

Cheers

AiY

A quick search suggests it's not but if you hang fire there could be a new one starting tomorrow (sorry, that's in poor taste, just like US politics).

The complete series is on youtube. Only low definition though.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”