Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

A really bad poll - pick your favourite

Reviews, favourites and suggestions

My daughter and good lady love a story. Book, film, TV or theatre. What's you favourite?

1. Peaky Blinders (No my daughter hasn't seen it - for goodness sake)
9%
2. Game of Thrones (Neither this one)
36%
3. Mandalorian
27%
4. The Avengers
9%
5. Any romantic film
No votes
6. Any Christmas film
No votes
7. Mission Impossible
No votes
8. Star Wars - any of the films - all of the films
9%
9. Any comedy film
No votes
10. Other - would like to hear
9%

Total votes: 11

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

A really bad poll - pick your favourite

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 6th, 2021, 12:21 am

My daughter and good lady love a story. Book, film, TV or theatre.

What's you favourite?

AiY

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Re: A really bad poll - pick your favourite

Postby SalvorHardin » February 6th, 2021, 1:10 am

Tricky. Too many options in the poll.

Peaky Blinders. IMHO best British series ever for the first two series. Good afterwards.

Mandalorian. The show that saved Star Wars. I have an animatronic Baby Yoda on my desk by my laptop. It's a Spaghetti Western crossed with the Babycart Samurai/Ronin films set in the Star Wars universe

Best film. Cinema Paradiso (Director's Cut).

Then "The Natural" for a sports / good v evil film with an Arthurian / Odyssey theme set in 1930s American baseball.

"Interstellar" for the physics and how love transcends time. "The Prestige" for misdirection (so much so that arguments about the ending will probably across the internet until the end of time)

Best TV series. "Justified". Modern day western, superbly written. Whilst "Deadwood" can genuinely be compared to Shakespeare for a lot of its dialogue, Justified has that too and better plots

Christmas film. Trading Places, though 2020s "Fatman" (Mel Gibson a grumpy Santa targeted by an assassin hired by a child who hated his present), is growing upon me

Upstart Crow. Shakespeare's life as a sitcom. The lockdown Christmas special is brilliant (just two cast members in a single set)

Mission Impossible. IMHO never the same since Cinnamon Carter left the series

Star Wars. All brilliant, when wearing my Disney shareholder's hat. If Hatless; the first two are pretty good, as is Rogue One and then, hmmn. But the Mandalorian is brilliant

Romantic film. The Lake House. He lives in 2004, she lives in 2006, they live in the same house at different times. They write letters to each other, becoming pen pals across time. Most men of a certain age are going to watch it when they realise that Sandra Bullock is the lead

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 6th, 2021, 6:05 am

SalvorHardin wrote:
"Interstellar" for the physics and how love transcends time.

Interstellar really is fantastic, but my favourite 'love transcends time' film would have to be 'The Fountain', and if neither AiY or his daughter have seen it, then that would definitely be my pick for a great movie night in this situation.

One of the best ever film scores too, by the simply brilliant Clint Mansell, and a film that stays with you long after the credits have rolled if there's an ounce of romance in your soul...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 6th, 2021, 6:39 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote:
"Interstellar" for the physics and how love transcends time.

Interstellar really is fantastic, but my favourite 'love transcends time' film would have to be 'The Fountain', and if neither AiY or his daughter have seen it, then that would definitely be my pick for a great movie night in this situation.

One of the best ever film scores too, by the simply brilliant Clint Mansell, and a film that stays with you long after the credits have rolled if there's an ounce of romance in your soul...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

More people need to see the Fountain: great movie, (great graphic novel too) and amazing score (though I'd give Mogwai equal credit with old Vestan Pance for that ;) )

But it's normally easier to convince the family of a rewatch of "the Princess Bride"

-sd

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 9th, 2021, 10:03 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Tricky. Too many options in the poll.
Peaky Blinders. IMHO best British series ever for the first two series. Good afterwards.

Yes we've got midway through series 5 and it has slipped a little.
SalvorHardin wrote:Mandalorian. The show that saved Star Wars. I have an animatronic Baby Yoda on my desk by my laptop. It's a Spaghetti Western crossed with the Babycart Samurai/Ronin films set in the Star Wars universe

I'll scout the internet for one (two). My two girls would love that kind of thing.
SalvorHardin wrote:Star Wars. All brilliant, when wearing my Disney shareholder's hat. If Hatless; the first two are pretty good, as is Rogue One and then, hmmn. But the Mandalorian is brilliant

My daughter asked if she could have an iPhone instead of her Samsung. I agreed she could have one as long as she purchased it with her money. I did, however, tell her in her position I'd invest in their stock not their phone. She listened.
SalvorHardin wrote:Romantic film. The Lake House. He lives in 2004, she lives in 2006, they live in the same house at different times. They write letters to each other, becoming pen pals across time. Most men of a certain age are going to watch it when they realise that Sandra Bullock is the lead

We watched it over Christmas. Sandra Bullock has to be one of my favourite actress'. Not only is she good at her chosen career she seems to be very self deprecating and just well grounded. Julie Roberts is another fav too.

They've started to binge watch Marvel's Agents of Shield. I've put my headphones on :lol:

AiY

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”