Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Mandalorian Actress Gina Carano dropped from Mandalorian for Inappropriate tweet

Reviews, favourites and suggestions

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Re: Mandalorian Actress Gina Carano dropped from Mandalorian for Inappropriate tweet

Postby MaraMan » February 11th, 2021, 12:25 pm

I thought both series of The Mandalorian were great. It's a shame she won't be it in any longer, but it sounds like she has brought it on herself.

MM
Last edited by MaraMan on February 11th, 2021, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Mandalorian Actress Gina Carano dropped from Mandalorian for Inappropriate tweet

Postby swill453 » February 11th, 2021, 12:25 pm

Don't know the woman, but seems fair.

Scott.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » February 11th, 2021, 3:51 pm

MaraMan wrote:I thought both series of The Mandalorian were great. It's a shame she won't be it in any longer, but it sounds like she has brought it on herself.

Unfortunately she has. A lot of people, many of whom have little or no interest in Star Wars, have been targeting Gina Carano on social media and trying to get Lucasfilm to sack here. Yesterday they succeeded.

Wearing my Disney shareholder's hat (my largest holding, by quite some way), I'm not happy. IMHO The Mandalorian all but saved Star Wars and it has now been somewhat tarnished by recent events.

The poor quality of the new Star Wars films, with the exception of "Rogue One", had caused a lot of damage to the Star Wars brand (not just my opinion, but that of a lot of Star Wars fans). But when The Mandalorian was released, Baby Yoda rapidly became a cultural icon and the world saw that decent live-action content for Star Wars was not a thing of the past (huge credit goes toJon Favreau and Dave Filoni). Things then looked much better for the future of Star Wars. Especially when Disney greenlit nine new Star Wars series, one of which was going to star Miss Carano.

The Mandalorian, aided by the coronavirus lockdowns, has turbocharged the takeup of Disney+ to the point where a lot of us are hopeful that Disney's first quarter results (published after Wall Street closes today) will show that worldwide subscriptions will have risen to more than 100 million. Minus quite a few cancellations in response to the sacking of Miss Carano.

You can be fairly sure that there will be a backlash, as I write this quite a few people will be combing the social media activity of other cast members and the production team. Then again, one of the cast & crew recently said that anyone who voted for Donald Trump was a Nazi and they haven't been fired for that.

My investment thesis for Disney is that it is turning into Netflix, with vastly stronger brands. Combine this with its other arms, notably the theme parks, it has cross-selling opportunities that Netflix can't achieve. This has now taken a bit of a hit. I won't be selling any shares (capital gains tax is a bitch!), but I won't be buying any more for now.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 11th, 2021, 5:09 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
MaraMan wrote:I thought both series of The Mandalorian were great. It's a shame she won't be it in any longer, but it sounds like she has brought it on herself.

Unfortunately she has. A lot of people, many of whom have little or no interest in Star Wars, have been targeting Gina Carano on social media and trying to get Lucasfilm to sack here. Yesterday they succeeded.

Wearing my Disney shareholder's hat (my largest holding, by quite some way), I'm not happy. IMHO The Mandalorian all but saved Star Wars and it has now been somewhat tarnished by recent events.

The poor quality of the new Star Wars films, with the exception of "Rogue One", had caused a lot of damage to the Star Wars brand (not just my opinion, but that of a lot of Star Wars fans). But when The Mandalorian was released, Baby Yoda rapidly became a cultural icon and the world saw that decent live-action content for Star Wars was not a thing of the past (huge credit goes toJon Favreau and Dave Filoni). Things then looked much better for the future of Star Wars. Especially when Disney greenlit nine new Star Wars series, one of which was going to star Miss Carano.

The Mandalorian, aided by the coronavirus lockdowns, has turbocharged the takeup of Disney+ to the point where a lot of us are hopeful that Disney's first quarter results (published after Wall Street closes today) will show that worldwide subscriptions will have risen to more than 100 million. Minus quite a few cancellations in response to the sacking of Miss Carano.

You can be fairly sure that there will be a backlash, as I write this quite a few people will be combing the social media activity of other cast members and the production team. Then again, one of the cast & crew recently said that anyone who voted for Donald Trump was a Nazi and they haven't been fired for that.

My investment thesis for Disney is that it is turning into Netflix, with vastly stronger brands. Combine this with its other arms, notably the theme parks, it has cross-selling opportunities that Netflix can't achieve. This has now taken a bit of a hit. I won't be selling any shares (capital gains tax is a bitch!), but I won't be buying any more for now.

I was wondering if anyone else respected this actress not just because has the most enormously big brown eyes but she really can hold her own in a fight? All she needed was a pair of droids too :lol:

We've have Disney+. If it's to do with TV we have it. Gone are the days when I can spend £20 on the latest bike from Halfords. Nope all my disposable income goes on the TV for the two ladies of the house. My bad :oops: I think there's a solar system sized moat around the Disney business model currently. It's clear customer base is family viewing and family entertainment. I agree the Star Wars films did lose their way a little. With the benefit of hindsight the original vision of 9 films and 3 spin off films was probably very ambitious. Noting that only 2 spin offs have been made so far. Mandalorian has put Star Wars back front and centre though.

I think it may be one to watch. The stock, not the channel

AiY

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » February 11th, 2021, 7:49 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote: I was wondering if anyone else respected this actress not just because has the most enormously big brown eyes but she really can hold her own in a fight? All she needed was a pair of droids too :lol:

Definitely. Whereas people need to suspend their disbelief when movies have women fighting and easily beating men (often much larger than them), with Gina Carano it's the real deal (Michelle Yeoh is another)

I first saw her in "Haywire", an action thriller set in 2011 but which looks and sounds like it was made in 1973. Whilst rehearsing and filming a key fight scene, the male actor (who had padded armour under his shirt to absorb the blows) said that being punched by her was like being hit by the proverbial train. He asked he to pull her punches; she replied that she was.

Meanwhile someone has dug out one of Pedro Pascal's tweets from 2018 where he equates America with Nazi Germany (for those who don't know, he plays the lead in The Mandalorian). Ho hum...

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1359881212358238210

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 11th, 2021, 9:21 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote: I was wondering if anyone else respected this actress not just because has the most enormously big brown eyes but she really can hold her own in a fight? All she needed was a pair of droids too :lol:

Definitely. Whereas people need to suspend their disbelief when movies have women fighting and easily beating men (often much larger than them), with Gina Carano it's the real deal (Michelle Yeoh is another)

I first saw her in "Haywire", an action thriller set in 2011 but which looks and sounds like it was made in 1973. Whilst rehearsing and filming a key fight scene, the male actor (who had padded armour under his shirt to absorb the blows) said that being punched by her was like being hit by the proverbial train. He asked he to pull her punches; she replied that she was.

Meanwhile someone has dug out one of Pedro Pascal's tweets from 2018 where he equates America with Nazi Germany (for those who don't know, he plays the lead in The Mandalorian). Ho hum...

I shall miss hers.

And I've sent my CV off to Disney. I could star as the Mandalorian without a mask and no one would tell the difference. And if any woman came near me swinging her fists at me I'd do what any true Yorkshireman would do - I'd marry her

AiY

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 11th, 2021, 9:55 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote:

I shall miss hers.

And I've sent my CV off to Disney. I could star as the Mandalorian without a mask and no one would tell the difference. And if any woman came near me swinging her fists at me I'd do what any true Yorkshireman would do - I'd marry her

AiY

I've jut shown my good lady this post.

Does anyone have any pain killers please - preferably morphine

AiY

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » February 12th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Disney reported yesterday evening, 94.9 million subscribers to Disney+

An update regarding Gina Carano. A friend who is a huge Star Wars fan, has sent me an email in which he linked to the YouTube video shown below. It's by "Overlord DVD" aka "Doomcock", an American YouTuber who reviews science fiction films and TV. According to his sources, Disney have been surprised by the backlash from fans after sacking Gina Carano (which wasn't supposed to have been announced until after the first quarter results), and it is rumoured that they are considering "unfiring" her. The video is just over 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZsTBdTwVWo

My friend says that if Disney wants sack a woman who has caused damage to the Star Wars brand, then look no further than Kathleen Kennedy.

Anyway, here's Miss Carano in action in the film "Haywire", it's the Hotel Room fight with Michael Fassbender's character on the receiving end (he didn't use a stunt double for any of the fight):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9flxUdOWpu4

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » February 12th, 2021, 1:42 pm

Thanks for the link to the fight clip. Good fun.

Dropping artists because of their personal views does raise interesting issues. Are they dropped primarily for commercial reasons that happen to be linked to ethical ones? I think so. Wagner's music doesn't stop being played because he was an ardent anti-semite. Should we be prevented from seeing a great actor* because he/she has objectionable personal views?

I've probably not expressed myself well enough there, no doubt the flaw in my argument will be pointed out to me!

*I'm not suggesting that Carano is in the "great actor" category, by the way.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » February 12th, 2021, 1:57 pm

This fuss is rather ironic as there may be much better grounds for 'cancelling' Disney than Gina Carrano!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/peop ... 64138.html

I don't comment on the rights or wrongs of the whole situation but think free speech is of fundamental importance.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 12th, 2021, 2:46 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:This fuss is rather ironic as there may be much better grounds for 'cancelling' Disney than Gina Carrano!

I don't comment on the rights or wrongs of the whole situation but think free speech is of fundamental importance.

and we can't say Pink Marshmallows on here.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 12th, 2021, 4:54 pm

kempiejon wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:This fuss is rather ironic as there may be much better grounds for 'cancelling' Disney than Gina Carrano!

and we can't say Pink Marshmallows on here.

Melons

AiY

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 12th, 2021, 5:39 pm

I had never heard of this woman nor Manalorian previously, but it does not seem she was worth knowing about anyway. Sounds thoroughly unpleasant.

Arb.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 12th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Arborbridge wrote:

I had never heard of this woman nor Manalorian previously, but it does not seem she was worth knowing about anyway. Sounds thoroughly unpleasant.

Arb.

Arb, we need to get you into Mandalorian. It's just great :ugeek: I'm a big fan of science fiction films. Not the dark spooky ones although I did enjoy Alien & Predator. The great thing is Disney+ is great for kids of all ages and has National Geographic too.

AiY

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”