Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Adam Curtis - Can't get you out of my head...

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Adam Curtis - Can't get you out of my head...

Postby Itsallaguess » February 12th, 2021, 3:54 pm

The new Adam Curtis series (Can't get you out of my head - 6 episodes) is now available on BBC iPlayer -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p093wp6h/cant-get-you-out-of-my-head

BBC review here, with a video trailer - https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2021/cgyoomh

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Adam Curtis - Can't get you out of my head...

Postby Redmires » February 15th, 2021, 10:57 pm

I've only seen the first two episodes, but man, what a ride. Stunning video/audio combined with interweaving, eye-opening stories. It seems to divide the TV critics though ....

Several hailed the six-part series as "dazzling" and "terrifying", but others said it was "incoherent" and left them confused.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 16th, 2021, 6:00 am

Redmires wrote:
I've only seen the first two episodes, but man, what a ride. Stunning video/audio combined with interweaving, eye-opening stories. It seems to divide the TV critics though ....

"Several hailed the six-part series as "dazzling" and "terrifying", but others said it was "incoherent" and left them confused."

I've been a fan for a number of years, and consider what he does to be 'great art', rather than 'normal TV'.

I don't agree with some of his philosophies, but he certainly makes me consider things in a different light some of the time, and I certainly gain much from being exposed to his method of shining a torch on certain aspects of the modern world, and his way of joining the dots is always very interesting to consider, whilst being well entertained whilst he does so...

Not all of it lands as well as other sections, but I wouldn't miss any of his output now, after enjoying so much of his earlier work.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 16th, 2021, 8:29 am

I've never heard of this, but I'm tempted to take a look. I did find the trailer baffling, uninformative and quite a turn off in the sense that it seemed a complete waste of time - maybe the series will be too, is what it's telling me. The trailer doesn't sell it to me, but opinion here says it has something to offer.

Might appeal to my children who are more woke than I am, and considerably more left wing.

Arb.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 16th, 2021, 9:54 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Redmires wrote:

"Several hailed the six-part series as "dazzling" and "terrifying", but others said it was "incoherent" and left them confused."

I've been a fan for a number of years, and consider what he does to be 'great art', rather than 'normal TV'.

I don't agree with some of his philosophies, but he certainly makes me consider things in a different light some of the time, and I certainly gain much from being exposed to his method of shining a torch on certain aspects of the modern world, and his way of joining the dots is always very interesting to consider, whilst being well entertained whilst he does so...

Not all of it lands as well as other sections, but I wouldn't miss any of his output now, after enjoying so much of his earlier work.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I agree. I really enjoyed the films Bitter Lake and Hypernormalisation which I watched on iPlayer, the latter twice. The point is you don't have to agree with everything (or for that matter anything!) but his films are genuinely thought provoking. In this day and age of bland TV where even the mediocre are described as "amazing" it's the kind of thing I really like to watch to "reset" my brain.

Thanks for alerting me to this new series of films.
All the best, Si

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » February 16th, 2021, 2:46 pm

I tried watching this but gave up, I'm afraid. It came across as stream of consciousness narration coupled with slightly druggie visuals.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » December 14th, 2022, 8:23 am

A new Adam Curtis series has landed on Iplayer. 'Traumazone' - a 7 part series on the downfall of communism in the 80's & 90's. I don't think it's been on the standard BBC channels yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... traumazone

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”