Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Blitz Spirit by Lucy Worsley

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Blitz Spirit by Lucy Worsley

Postby zico » March 4th, 2021, 5:27 pm

This was educational and compelling TV. The basic premise sounds a bit naff, getting 6 actors to read diaries written by 6 different people in London during the Blitz, and dramatising some of the events, but it made for really good TV. Lucy Worsley also did a bit of striding around old government offices, explaining the context of what was going on.

I thought I knew a bit about what happened in the Blitz, but this selection of eye-witness accounts put a completely different gloss on it.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Blitz Spirit by Lucy Worsley

Postby bungeejumper » March 4th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Agreed, it was powerfully done. Not at all your usual sweetly-grinning Lucy implying a lot of naughty goings-on in a period costume. Although there were some of those too. ;)

There was real horror in some of these stories, and no, we hadn't heard all of them before. (Although my wife had been born in the north Kent "bomb alley" where the Luftwaffe planes invariably dumped their surplus bombs after every raid, so as to be able to get back to Berlin at top speed before the ack-ack found them.)

It's a 90 minute programme, but we needed a rest break after the first hour! Quite a tough watch. You've been warned. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... cy-worsley

BJ

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 5th, 2021, 8:42 am

One of the best programs shown recently. Lucy was on top form and the journal extracts were very illuminating.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 5th, 2021, 8:47 am

A little tangential, but I am reading "Silvertown - An East End Family Memoir", Melanie McGrath.
It does cover events in WW2 but the sweep in much wider than that. However, it paints a good picture of what life was like in the East End from about WWI onwards.

An easy read, unlike "The Whisperers - private life in Stalin's Russia" which I just finished and which covers a similar period. (Brilliant and well research but you have to be dedicated to plough through 600 pages of detail)

Arb.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”