Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

What's on BBC on a Friday evening ...

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: What's on BBC on a Friday evening ...

Postby XFool » April 17th, 2021, 6:37 pm

...I found it quite impressive.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 17th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Yes I agree. I have been reflecting on the funeral ever since and I have to say that I think the absence of crowds helped hugely. Obviously it did not help in terms of the numbers in the chapel, particularly the choir but nevertheless I thought it was a wonderful appreciation of the D of E's life. No messing, very much to the point and altogether probably from all accounts, just what he would have wanted.

Hopefully the planners will take note for the next major funeral, whenever that may be.

Dod

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 18th, 2021, 12:08 pm

I watched on Sky News, very lttle comment, none of it obtrusive.

TJH

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 18th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Dod101 wrote:Yes I agree. I have been reflecting on the funeral ever since and I have to say that I think the absence of crowds helped hugely. Obviously it did not help in terms of the numbers in the chapel, particularly the choir but nevertheless I thought it was a wonderful appreciation of the D of E's life. No messing, very much to the point and altogether probably from all accounts, just what he would have wanted.

Hopefully the planners will take note for the next major funeral, whenever that may be.

Let's be honest, the funeral was cut down because of Covid. We have no idea what his original plans were, but we can be pretty sure they were more elaborate than what we ended up with.

Scott.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 18th, 2021, 1:27 pm

Dod101 wrote:Yes I agree. I have been reflecting on the funeral ever since and I have to say that I think the absence of crowds helped hugely. Obviously it did not help in terms of the numbers in the chapel, particularly the choir but nevertheless I thought it was a wonderful appreciation of the D of E's life. No messing, very much to the point and altogether probably from all accounts, just what he would have wanted.

Dod

The four singers were excellent. Nice to be able to hear the inner parts properly - though I would have preferred a proper SATB arrangement (that is, two women, two men) and not STTB or STBB.

I loved that landrover! and you cannot beat the massed military bands. I notice the sailors were marching between groups of Royal Marines - presumably so they couldn't run away :)

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 18th, 2021, 2:50 pm

swill453 wrote:

Let's be honest, the funeral was cut down because of Covid. We have no idea what his original plans were, but we can be pretty sure they were more elaborate than what we ended up with.

Scott.

Yes I do not suppose they would get away with such an exclusive arrangement next time, but it must have been quite refreshing for the Royal family as well as the security forces such as the police for it to be held in such a confined environment.

Dod

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » April 18th, 2021, 3:15 pm

I know the funeral was what the Duke wanted but I thought it was an awful spectacle because of the absence of eulogies and personal tributes, too much militarism and meaningless religious mumbo jumbo.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 18th, 2021, 3:35 pm

tea42 wrote:I know the funeral was what the Duke wanted but I thought it was an awful spectacle because of the absence of eulogies and personal tributes, too much militarism and meaningless religious mumbo jumbo.

Really? I thought rather a lot of people had already had enough of "eulogies" - see this thread! I didn't feel there really was too much "religious mumbo jumbo" and, by my understanding, the Duke did have religious beliefs.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 18th, 2021, 3:47 pm

tea42 wrote:I know the funeral was what the Duke wanted but I thought it was an awful spectacle because of the absence of eulogies and personal tributes, too much militarism and meaningless religious mumbo jumbo.

That comment re religious mumbo jumbo is almost as objectionable as an outright racist comment would be. If you have no belief that is fine but many people do and get considerable comfort from it. The least you can do is ignore it and I suppose the best we can expect is for you to respect others and their beliefs. If that is what you thought, why did you watch it?

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 18th, 2021, 4:03 pm

You mean you were full of awe at the spectacle?

Maybe not, but I was. I was a touching and memorable event with colour, precision, music and infused with the Duke's sensibilities and well as traditional Britishness, which takes a lot of beating. It was pretty much perfect display from all parties.
There was no need for extra eulogies - enough has been said in the past week - and the religious part of the ceremony would have been of comfort to those in the family. If you don't like or believe that sort of thing, just ignore it but leave those who do to be comforted.

And without some input from the forces and their bands (what you see as militarism! - that is the defense of the realm) it would indeed have been a lack lustre celebration of one of the most dedicated and popular royals. At times like these, falling back on traditional and well used formulae is appropriate and expected.

Arb.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”