Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The Pact

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
swill453
Lemon Half

The Pact

Postby swill453 » May 23rd, 2021, 7:18 am

Not a spoiler.

A major plot point in this drama is where one of the protagonists is able to enter a random mobile phone number into an app or web site, and is then able to track the real-time GPS location of that phone. Without this, a large part of the story wouldn't work.

Such a facility simply doesn't exist. One really has to wonder what technical validation they used.

Completely spoils it for me.

Scott.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Pact

Postby chas49 » May 23rd, 2021, 11:00 am

I wouldn't go so far as to say it "completely spoils it" - but it did annoy me. I guess it's on a par with the spy movies where they just stick a USB device into the enemy computer and it downloads everything (with a big progress bar), finishes just as the door is blown in, and they grab the USB stick and it all works properly later... whereas in reality it would take hours, they would need to 'safely eject' the deice, and they would probably have to wait for a Windows update first anyway :)

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » May 23rd, 2021, 2:26 pm

Sometimes films use artistic licence and you have to suspend belief. This can be much harder if you know the subject in detail. Maybe most don't realise about it or gloss over it especially if it's just a couple of seconds on screen.

Think Die Hard, detective John McClane ejects out of a plane...... That doesn't have ejection seats!

Most of the time I can acknowledge the error and move on. Occasionally it really gets to me. Shadow in the Cloud just got silly. I'm not talking about the gremlin. Outside the aircraft with little wind??? Maybe parachuting taught me how windy it would be even at slow aircraft speed. I could go on but might spoil the film for others

Stowaway was another. Set in space but so contrived and unbelievable technical issues. Pity as both films started off well. I'd stick to Gravity..... With Atmos sound field.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 23rd, 2021, 3:21 pm

Movies are packed with things which simply cannot happen and another set of things which are exceedingly unlikely to happen. Provided the action makes sense within its own universe of rules - i.e is consistent - then I can put up with the lapse.

Space films would be pretty silent ;) And occult films wouldn't exist, let alone films with super heroes who defy all the laws of physics and survive with their puny bodies.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 23rd, 2021, 3:26 pm

PS - I haven't watched this yet, but a review by Huso Rifkind put me off even trying. It seems like a so-so thing that could be a waste of effort.

What we think? Shall I launch on my recording of the first two?

Arb.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 23rd, 2021, 5:46 pm

Arborbridge wrote:PS - I haven't watched this yet, but a review by Huso Rifkind put me off even trying. It seems like a so-so thing that could be a waste of effort.

What we think? Shall I launch on my recording of the first two?

All 6 are on iPlayer, so you could binge the lot.

I've watched 5 so far, the aforementioned annoyance notwithstanding it's somewhat predictable I think, but will reserve judgement until I see if my fairly obvious prediction actually pans out.

Scott.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » May 23rd, 2021, 6:52 pm

I enjoyed it. Wasn't expecting to. Plot was quite neat altogether. Not exactly Breaking Bad but a decent drama. Not too demanding.

One to watch if you're a bit tired!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 26th, 2021, 6:45 pm

swill453 wrote:I've watched 5 so far, the aforementioned annoyance notwithstanding it's somewhat predictable I think, but will reserve judgement until I see if my fairly obvious prediction actually pans out.

Semi-spoiler:

I've watched it all now.

Well my prediction was wrong, but it wasn't my fault! They basically invented a whole new subplot in the last episode.

Scott.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”