Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

GB News

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
mc2fool
Lemon Half

GB News

Postby mc2fool » May 30th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Well, I see that GB News, "Andrew Neil’s new “anti-woke” news channel", due to launch on the 13th of June, is now filling its placeholder channel (236) on Freeview at a rolling pair of 5 minute "Meet the family" videos, which can also be seen at https://www.gbnews.uk/.

There's a supposed full list of hosts at https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/gb-news-presenters-full-list-andrew-neil-dan-wooton-kirsty-gallacher-982498

Familiar "big" TV names aside from Andrew Neil include Alastair Stewart and SImon McCoy (well...), with Gloria De Piero a bit of a surprise, possibly as a sop to Ofcom's requirements that TV news be balanced and impartial and as a counterweight to Michelle Dewberry and Alex Phillips.

Could be interesting ... :o

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: GB News

Postby swill453 » May 31st, 2021, 7:16 am

mc2fool wrote:Well, I see that GB News, "Andrew Neil’s new “anti-woke” news channel", due to launch on the 13th of June,

Is that how they describe themselves? If I look up a definition of "woke" I get "alert to injustice in society, especially racism". Is being anti- that a good thing now?

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 31st, 2021, 7:25 am

swill453 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Well, I see that GB News, "Andrew Neil’s new “anti-woke” news channel", due to launch on the 13th of June,

Is that how they describe themselves? If I look up a definition of "woke" I get "alert to injustice in society, especially racism". Is being anti- that a good thing now?

Scott.

Depends on your definition of good
It's certainly gaining popularity - so it's an easy market for "content producers" to tap

- sd

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 31st, 2021, 8:03 am

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

You have to allow for the possibility that the term Woke has been overused or used in the wrong context. Indeed in some quarters "woke" is used as a derogatory term to bolster right-wing and racists views on life. A word like that can get misappropriated by those "anti", rather in the way PC was exagerrated,highjacked, and then often lampooned even though the basic idea was sensible. Now some of the more core values of "PC" are every day and seem reasonable.

Being anti woke will attract many listeners, in the same way that being anti-PC attracted lots of bored old buffers ;) - but, also more dangerous individuals in society too.

Arb.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » May 31st, 2021, 9:00 am

'Woke' has come to have a wider meaning because of the way many subscribing to that aim have behaved in practice.

'Viewing everything from a perspective of racism and injustice when it isn’t there, believing that your view of the world is the only valid one and that opposing views should be cancelled or silenced, not understanding the crucial importance of free speech, demanding ‘respect’ but being yourself intolerant of opposing views '

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 31st, 2021, 9:48 am

scrumpyjack wrote:'Woke' has come to have a wider meaning because of the way many subscribing to that aim have behaved in practice.

'Viewing everything from a perspective of racism and injustice when it isn’t there, believing that your view of the world is the only valid one and that opposing views should be cancelled or silenced, not understanding the crucial importance of free speech, demanding ‘respect’ but being yourself intolerant of opposing views '

That's a valid POV, but beware because there is also the equal and opposite view i.e. that woke has been given a wider meaning by racist elements who wish to undermine the movement. This is akin to the often invented stories about being "too PC" which were doing the rounds years ago - but in this case with much more dangerous origins from the far right.
Please, don't be lulled into thinking this is all a one way traffic as there are some nasty forces at work trying to oppose what many people believe is a reasonable movement for change and greater equality in society.

Arb.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » May 31st, 2021, 10:15 am

and conversely many people feel that the woke agenda has reached, indeed is well past, the point at which it becomes counter-productive and positively dangerous in its 'witch hunt' potential. It smacks very much of the McCarthyism that overtook the US in the fifties. That is a much greater danger than the supposed 'right wing' forces you refer to.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 31st, 2021, 10:55 am

scrumpyjack wrote:That is a much greater danger than the supposed 'right wing' forces you refer to.

Please explain...

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » May 31st, 2021, 11:09 am

servodude wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:That is a much greater danger than the supposed 'right wing' forces you refer to.

Please explain...

I would have thought it is self evident that the sort of mass hysteria like that set off by Senator Eugene McCarthy in the US in the fifties, is far more dangerous to liberty and freedom than a few extremist nut cases. Many think that is what is happening now with ‘wokism’ the media, the universities, ‘cancel culture’ etc etc.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 31st, 2021, 11:15 am

swill453 wrote:

Is that how they describe themselves?

It's how the i article linked to in the OP describes them, but they may not be unhappy with the description as the article goes on to say: "The channel will feature a number of well-known faces in its presenting line-up including Neil who will host a nightly news show containing “Wokewatch” and “Mediawatch” segments."

On "woke" Neil himself says: "The original definition of woke is out of date. As a "concern for social justice", nobody could object. But it has morphed into a cancel culture that seeks not just to disagree but to close down ideas and people with which it disagrees. Insidious." https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1359052141286068224

E.g.:

"'Snow White responsible for date rape?' Andrew Neil hits out at 'woke' This Morning guest

ANDREW NEIL erupted in a furious row with actress Nicola Thorp as he slammed the Snow White kiss backlash.

Disneyland has drawn criticism over its new Snow White ride which features a "problematic" true love's kiss. The ride which ends with the prince kissing Snow White while she is asleep has drawn backlash as it is "without her consent". Broadcaster Andrew Neil has hit back at these claims.
"
https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1431993/andrew-neil-snow-white-kiss-disney-woke-culture-itv-this-morning-video-vn

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 31st, 2021, 1:30 pm

This might be relevant here. If I do say so myself: viewtopic.php?p=416364#p416364

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 31st, 2021, 8:22 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:and conversely many people feel that the woke agenda has reached, indeed is well past, the point at which it becomes counter-productive and positively dangerous in its 'witch hunt' potential. It smacks very much of the McCarthyism that overtook the US in the fifties. That is a much greater danger than the supposed 'right wing' forces you refer to.

I think you already made that point in the previous post, and as I say, it's a POV which some people have. We certainly agree about not wanting to encourage a McCarthy type, or Soviet type approach - on the other hand there are serious issues to be addressed concerning inequality and racism.

In other words, we both agree we do not like extremes, but we must also acknowledge and act on divisions in society caused by both poverty and racism, just as previous generations tried to take strides in equal rights for women. Putting up flack will not solve the problem.

Arb

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 1st, 2021, 3:17 am

scrumpyjack wrote:
servodude wrote:

Please explain...

I would have thought it is self evident that the sort of mass hysteria like that set off by Senator Eugene McCarthy in the US in the fifties, is far more dangerous to liberty and freedom than a few extremist nut cases. Many think that is what is happening now with ‘wokism’ the media, the universities, ‘cancel culture’ etc etc.

Fairy nuff
I don't myself see either extreme of the nutter spectrum as being less nutter or extreme or dangerous than the other

- sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 1st, 2021, 3:19 am

mc2fool wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Is that how they describe themselves?

It's how the i article linked to in the OP describes them, but they may not be unhappy with the description as the article goes on to say: "The channel will feature a number of well-known faces in its presenting line-up including Neil who will host a nightly news show containing “Wokewatch” and “Mediawatch” segments."

On "woke" Neil himself says: "The original definition of woke is out of date. As a "concern for social justice", nobody could object. But it has morphed into a cancel culture that seeks not just to disagree but to close down ideas and people with which it disagrees. Insidious." https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1359052141286068224

E.g.:

"'Snow White responsible for date rape?' Andrew Neil hits out at 'woke' This Morning guest

ANDREW NEIL erupted in a furious row with actress Nicola Thorp as he slammed the Snow White kiss backlash.

Disneyland has drawn criticism over its new Snow White ride which features a "problematic" true love's kiss. The ride which ends with the prince kissing Snow White while she is asleep has drawn backlash as it is "without her consent". Broadcaster Andrew Neil has hit back at these claims.
"
https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1431993/andrew-neil-snow-white-kiss-disney-woke-culture-itv-this-morning-video-vn

Just as well they didn't go with the original version of Sleeping Beauty ;)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 29th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Oh dear!

Andrew Neil enters his broom-cupboard years…
Stewart Lee

The Guardian

Thanks to the arrival of Nigel Farage at GB News, the veteran newsman now finds himself among the mops and Domestos

:lol:

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 29th, 2021, 5:25 pm

I see a poll has found that far more people think the BBC is biased than GB News (42% vs 27%)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... oll-finds/

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 29th, 2021, 5:33 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:I see a poll has found that far more people think the BBC is biased than GB News (42% vs 27%)

The polling commissioned by GB News, and run by a lobbying firm not a member of the British Polling Council.

Scott.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 29th, 2021, 6:24 pm

swill453 wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:I see a poll has found that far more people think the BBC is biased than GB News (42% vs 27%)

The polling commissioned by GB News, and run by a lobbying firm not a member of the British Polling Council.

So people who watch GB News think the BBC is more biased than GB News? That's not news! :)

Allitnil
Lemon Pip

Postby Allitnil » August 29th, 2021, 6:42 pm

Not paying for the Telegraph so don't know the details, but I assume the responses were along the lines of:

- 0.01% watch GB News and think it is unbiased
- 0.1% watch GB News because it is biased
- 26.9% don't watch GB News but think it is biased
- 72.99% haven't even heard of GB News (or, if they have, haven't seen it so don't have an opinion)

As for the BBC bias, 22% of respondants probably think it is biased to the left whilst 20% think it is biased to the right.... The only newsworthy point of this poll is that the majority of people don't think the BBC is biased!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 3rd, 2021, 11:29 am

Breaking...

Piers needs a job? Andrew Neil will not return to GB News as expected

The London Economic

Neil was supposed to be back on air next week...

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”