Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Greatest zombie films

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Greatest zombie films

Postby SteMiS » June 5th, 2021, 2:15 pm

With the release of Neflix's much hyped Army of the Dead (which I thought was a bit lame in parts - just get in the damn helicopter, for god sake), I've been having a discussion about the best zombie films. Personally as a top 3 I'd go for

1. Dawn of the Dead (the 1978 Romero version, I haven't seen the Snyder remake)
2. Train to Busan
3. Zombieland

Always interested to hear of any alternatives though...

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Greatest zombie films

Postby servodude » June 5th, 2021, 2:26 pm

I like them with a bit of a twist

1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Return of the Living Dead
3. Warm Bodies

-sd

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 5th, 2021, 2:37 pm

1. Dawn of the Dead (Romero - 1978) - The horror film that shaped my lifelong love of movies, and horror movies especially. I was allowed to watch it far too young, but it left such an impression on me that I wouldn't wish it any other way...

'When the dead walk, señores, we must stop the killing... or lose the war...' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9HsOFNQ_-Y

2. Shaun of the Dead - A proper, laugh-out-loud funny, lovable homage to a genre that they clearly adore as much as I do...

3. 28 Weeks Later - Not quite one of the best as an overall zombie film, but one of the single best opening 3 minutes of any horror film I've ever seen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3d7y1YrPvg

Honourable mentions also to Train to Busan, Day of the Dead, World War Z, and I am Legend...

Watching Army of the Dead soon - I'm not expecting too much in all honesty, but Zack Snyder has an interesting style and I'm looking forward to seeing what he's come up with...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » June 5th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:1. Dawn of the Dead (Romero - 1978) - The horror film that shaped my lifelong love of movies, and horror movies especially. I was allowed to watch it far too young, but it left such an impression on me that I wouldn't wish it any other way...

Dawn of the Dead has, in my opinion, one of the best opening credits, to the soundtrack of Johnny Cash's 'When the Man Comes Around" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G2YAtFeVOM

Plus still one of the scariest opening scenes I have still seen yet for sheer build up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ1uiiLcHJk

Itsallaguess wrote:2. Shaun of the Dead - A proper, laugh-out-loud funny, lovable homage to a genre that they clearly adore as much as I do...

I like the film but I kinda consider it more a comedy than a proper zombie film (although clearly it involves zombies)...

Golam
Lemon Pip

Postby Golam » June 5th, 2021, 10:38 pm

Would recommend ' White Zombie' 1932. Great soundtrack, especially the music.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » July 8th, 2021, 5:17 am

Not necessarily the greatest, but definitely worth watching is the Japanese 'kamera wo tomeruna', or 'One Cut of the Dead' as the English title.

Not so much a zombie film, but a film about making a zombie film. It's very clever both in scripting and in the way it's shot. And very funny.

Apparently there's going to be a French remake.

torata

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”