Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Clarkson's Farm - Prime TV

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Clarkson's Farm - Prime TV

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 13th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Jeremy Clarkson's Amazon Prime series is worth a watch.

His self deprecation is to be admired but he does get some firm feedback from those around him which at times he needs

AiY

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Clarkson's Farm - Prime TV

Postby AF62 » June 17th, 2021, 10:59 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Jeremy Clarkson's Amazon Prime series is worth a watch.

It isn't. It really isn't. Just recycled scripted 'oh look at me buying something impractical and then behaving like an idiot', whilst others in it look on and think "well at least I am being paid well to appear with this clown".

But it isn't as mind boggling awful as the show Richard Hammond got as part of the Amazon deal - The Great Escapists - now that truly is bad.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 17th, 2021, 11:12 pm

AF62 wrote:

It isn't. It really isn't. Just recycled scripted 'oh look at me buying something impractical and then behaving like an idiot', whilst others in it look on and think "well at least I am being paid well to appear with this clown".

But it isn't as mind boggling awful as the show Richard Hammond got as part of the Amazon deal - The Great Escapists - now that truly is bad.

No it really is - if you look past the façade which is clearly as you depict the underlying stuff is quite interesting. He touched on some very serious matters. The fact that rearing animals is about the "bottom line". The issues connected with wilding and the fact that most UK farms cannot exist without "subsidy". Planning issues, bureaucracy form filling, the weather - a veritable host of information tucked into some typical Jeremey Clarkson humour.

AiY

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 18th, 2021, 12:22 am

I seem to have it as a side effect of subscribing to Amazon Prime 'free' delivery service.

The format seems to be Clarkson decides to play at farming. For the benefit of the episode and good TV he buys the biggest, best, most expensive and inappropriate of whatever the episode is about, and finds he still can't do it.

He then buys in professional help who amusingly tell him what he did wrong and what a dick he has just been. It works because he does the whole thing with good humour, sucks up the professional advice and then consciously does it all over again for the next episode. :)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 18th, 2021, 8:44 am

I'm enjoying it. Some great peripheral characters too, tractor boy Caleb, the dry stone waller and the land agent, not to mention the shepherd.

As has been said it does highlight some important issues if you look under the fluff.

John

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 18th, 2021, 9:09 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
AF62 wrote:

No it really is - if you look past the façade which is clearly as you depict the underlying stuff is quite interesting. He touched on some very serious matters. The fact that rearing animals is about the "bottom line". The issues connected with wilding and the fact that most UK farms cannot exist without "subsidy". Planning issues, bureaucracy form filling, the weather - a veritable host of information tucked into some typical Jeremey Clarkson humour.

AiY

Then make that, not Jeremey Clarkson pretending to not know what he is doing and buying the biggest and fastest tractor he can find. Sure there will be some who will turn off because it isn't a show with Jeremey Clarkson behaving like a fool, but who knows how many viewers they might have picked up instead - after all he has done serious shows without the dicking around in the past which have been well received.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » June 18th, 2021, 10:04 am

Well we enjoyed it, but each to their own. If you liked Top Gear before the current useless trio were shoe-horned into the presenters roles; with little success in my opinion (see what I did there), then you will probably like Clarkson's Farm.

MM

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 18th, 2021, 10:24 am

redsturgeon wrote:I'm enjoying it. Some great peripheral characters too, tractor boy Caleb, the dry stone waller and the land agent, not to mention the shepherd.

As has been said it does highlight some important issues if you look under the fluff.

John

The dry stone waller was impressive - out of everything he said I heard two words - that was "OK" and "Yes" :lol:

AiY

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 18th, 2021, 10:44 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
The dry stone waller was impressive - out of everything he said I heard two words - that was "OK" and "Yes" :lol:

AiY

Yes I particularly enjoy listening to Gerald the dry stone waller.

I think when I explain to customers how their boilers work they hear something similar, and sometimes regret asking.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 18th, 2021, 2:51 pm

MaraMan wrote:Well we enjoyed it, but each to their own. If you liked Top Gear before the current useless trio were shoe-horned into the presenters roles; with little success in my opinion (see what I did there), then you will probably like Clarkson's Farm.

MM

I didn't; well not for many series before Clakson, the prima donna, punched someone, when it became increasingly childish and frankly the three of them were just 'phoning it in'. Oh look a caravan on fire. Oh look Clarkson deliberately driving into May's car. Oh how predictible.

Yes the replacements were worse, far far worse. However it has improved and in my opinion the latest series was at least watchable, which the final few Clarkson/May/Hammond series were not.

But I appreciate I am in the minority hence why the three of them are rolling in millions lavished on them by Bezos.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 18th, 2021, 3:54 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:The dry stone waller was impressive - out of everything he said I heard two words - that was "OK" and "Yes" :lol:

We've used a couple of dry stone wallers in the past, and they have two pieces of trademark wit and wisdom to impart.
"Don't pick up a stone until you know exactly where you're going to put it down"

"Thousand pound a yard, sir. The trouble is, you see, you can't get the materials these days."

BJ

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 18th, 2021, 8:06 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:The dry stone waller was impressive - out of everything he said I heard two words - that was "OK" and "Yes" :lol:

We've used a couple of dry stone wallers in the past, and they have two pieces of trademark wit and wisdom to impart.
"Don't pick up a stone until you know exactly where you're going to put it down"

"Thousand pound a yard, sir. The trouble is, you see, you can't get the materials these days."

BJ

Not sure I get the second, unless it is a droll observation about the weather (today).

I've just driven to Westbury to fix a boiler, 2.3 hours travel time (there and back) and 15 mins on site fixing the fault, plus a further hour fixing a further fault, concealed by the fault I was called in to fix.

Back on mebote now up in Warwickshire, and laying into this reliable if plain Viognier from Co-op.

A bit of a come down after that sublimely wonderful single malt on Wednesday. Ardbeg was a bit two-dimensional in comparison last night. My pallet (lol) has been spoiled!

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 2nd, 2021, 9:57 am

It was hilarious, he was so out of his depth (as most of us would be with lambs birthing, keeping bees or drivng a tractor in a straight line)
Calen and "cheerful Charlie are new TV stars and helped make the show so good

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 2nd, 2021, 10:59 am

pje16 wrote:It was hilarious, he was so out of his depth (as most of us would be with lambs birthing, keeping bees or drivng a tractor in a straight line)
Calen and "cheerful Charlie are new TV stars and helped make the show so good

I agree he is a master of his craft of "making good television" and the series has been highly watchable, but in the back of my mind I can see he wades out of his depth on purpose, doing things wrong specifically to draw out the best from Caleb and Charlie telling his what a fool he is, each in their different ways.

Not that there is anything wrong with this, just that I think it is designed to happen that way right from the get-go. I don't think he goes bumbling into his jams as unknowingly as the programmes would have you believe.

Excellent TV all the same and I admire him for being so damned good at it!

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 2nd, 2021, 11:15 am

Loved Caleb's comment in the last episode when Clarkson was trying to decide what to do in future :lol:
Bring on season 2 !!!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 3rd, 2021, 9:37 pm

Mike4 wrote:He then buys in professional help who amusingly tell him what he did wrong and what a dick he has just been. It works because he does the whole thing with good humour, sucks up the professional advice and then consciously does it all over again for the next episode. :)

I think the only notable difference between JC, as a typical land-owner and the farm staff he employs, is that he's given them license to be rude about him on camera. Or... do you think the gentry who say inherit land/farms know more than the staff they hire (who've 'done it all their lives')?

What I enjoy is that he plays on the arrogant/urban thing, Lambo tractor 'n all, that such people can move (per the fashion) to the country 'and instantly become farmers', or 'country people'. But he seems self-knowing enough to understand that he cannot hope to honestly just change skins like that, and he plays his rude awakening up well.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 3rd, 2021, 9:46 pm

He's not that arrogant
I've heard him say twice that farmers have been hit hard under Covid and they don't all have Amazon crews filming them or "millionaire" to fall back on

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » July 4th, 2021, 1:10 pm

I thought he did a great job in highlighting all the problems todays farmers face. Form filling and farm accounts are a nightmare in themselves and that's before you get the local councils sticking their oars in. It's very hard to make a living when people think that all meat comes from supermarkets and are horrified when you want to charge them £9 for a free range chicken when supermarkets can sell them a chicken for £3, they fail to realise the difference as to them a chicken is a chicken is a chicken.
If there is one good thing that has come out of covid in this area it's that people have used local farm shops and continue to do so now that the restrictions are coming to an end. People are realising that it's rather nice to walk into a shop and be greeted by someone who remembers your name and often what you bought for your Sunday lunch and can enquire whether or not you enjoyed it. As one fellow remarked the other day "I'm so glad I found this place, I'm not going anywhere else except to buy loo roll" The owners wife shouted across "I can always get it stocked if you want".
We're lucky because in our family we have a Kaleb, his language is not as ripe but he works just as hard, up at 5.30am to feed his chooks, keeps 6 pigs ready for Christmas trade, this year is trying a few turkeys just to see how they do and now that we've got the acres we rented out back lends his dad a hand with the sheep. Then he goes and does his day job.

R6

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 4th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Rhyd6 wrote: It's very hard to make a living when people think that all meat comes from supermarkets and are horrified when you want to charge them £9 for a free range chicken when supermarkets can sell them a chicken for £3, they fail to realise the difference as to them a chicken is a chicken is a chicken.

It's amazing what people will happily save money on, and what they will happily put in their (and their children's) mouths. Some admittedly are financially squeezed and compromised, but the vast majority seem content to prioritise non-food spending over literally what makes up their, and their children's, bodies. Even within food purchases I find many people's choices odd. I guess it's a mixture of cultural and poor education reasons.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 4th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:If there is one good thing that has come out of covid in this area it's that people have used local farm shops and continue to do so now that the restrictions are coming to an end.

Give it a few months and they won't be.

Rhyd6 wrote:People are realising that it's rather nice to walk into a shop and be greeted by someone who remembers your name and often what you bought for your Sunday lunch and can enquire whether or not you enjoyed it.

All very nice when people are working from home and don't have the same time pressure when they are in the office. Then they will be heading back to the supermarket which is open when they want to shop, rather than at the farm shop, and the local butcher and baker, etc. which is open when the owner fancies it.

And sure people were paying £9 for a chicken when the supermarkets sell them for £3, as restaurants weren't open or they weren't nice places to go, and some people take the view that it is a requirement they must spend because otherwise what is the point of working and must 'treat' themselves frequently. Once restaurants are back to normal then the £9 chickens will be left sitting on the shelf.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”