Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Inside Tesco

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Inside Tesco

Postby Clitheroekid » June 17th, 2021, 2:32 am

As a long standing (and therefore inevitably long suffering!) Tesco shareholder I recorded this not expecting anything to lift my flagging spirits,

But I was pleasantly surprised. It’s not only a fascinating look at Tesco’s history but a remarkably inspiring insight into the business it is today and the thousands of people who work there. They were no doubt selected for interview, but they came across as an excellent team.

I ended up being a proud shareholder again, which was quite an achievement! ;)

As an interesting aside it also made me realise what a huge amount of infrastructure we have compared to developing countries. It’s something we take for granted, but imagine how daunting it must be for any such country ever hoping to catch up with us.

Available on Channel 5 catch-up - https://www.my5.tv/inside-tesco-britain ... upermarket

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Inside Tesco

Postby pje16 » June 17th, 2021, 8:11 am

Yes it was fascinating
some of the numbers are mind blowing
300,000 employees, a billion bananas etc

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 17th, 2021, 12:39 pm

It seems hardly any time at all since Tesco screwed up so catastrophically on its expensive American and Chinese ventures - having failed not once but twice :shock: to study the habits of the buying public in those countries! The losses were vast, but the loss of face was worse. By 2008 the company had retrenched within the UK, and it has all been generally successful from there. I'm a very impressed home-delivery online customer during these lockdown times, and have nothing but praise for their effectiveness. None of the other chains appear to have done the lockdown so well.

It's a small relief to see that we're not the only nation that gets retailing wrong. Wal-Mart couldn't get its Asda operation running properly, because it just didn't appreciate the transatlantic differences. Australia's Bunnings made a colossal hash of Homebase, largely because it didn't know that women actually bought DIY-related stuff and wanted their priorities respected :lol: . And even good old Morrisons managed to screw up its initial launch in the south of England, because nobody could convince the ageing Ken Morrison that softy southern housewives wouldn't fall for the no-frills pitch that had sold so successfully in the north.

So well done Tesco. Brilliant job. Will have another look at that share price some time soon. There's a supermart-sized gap in my portfolio at the moment.

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 18th, 2021, 8:48 am

My son worked for Tesco during the holidays and I ways pleasantly surprised by their professional attitude towards their staff, in contrast to the experience of many of his friends working for less enlightened companies, especially in the hospitality sector.

John

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 18th, 2021, 8:59 am

My local Tesco (Borehamwood)
put in great measures for Covid-19 and staff were polite if they had to remind people who got things wrong.
The staff there are friendly and you get impression that Tesco is a good employer

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”