Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Calling all Terry Pratchett fans

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Calling all Terry Pratchett fans

Postby gryffron » July 13th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Must see "The Watch" on BBC iPlayer. 8 x 45mins.

Superb. Hilarious. Genuine LOL. 10/10

Very cleverly, it isn't set in Pratchett's discworld, but rather a "Secondary parallel universe nearby". Which means it can't be criticized for being "not right", "not what Pratchett wrote", "Not what I imagined". It's different. It's supposed to be different. But all your favourite Discworld characters, places and storylines pop up. Along with genuine Pratchett humour.

The series makes no attempt whatsoever to explain the characters, their relationships, the environment or the politics. So non Pratchett fans (are there any?) won't have a Scooby what's going on. Go read a book!

Gryff

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Calling all Terry Pratchett fans

Postby AF62 » July 13th, 2021, 5:51 pm

That's the first positive thing I have heard about it, everyone else has been far less complimentary.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » July 13th, 2021, 6:59 pm

gryffron wrote:Must see "The Watch" on BBC iPlayer. 8 x 45mins.

Superb. Hilarious. Genuine LOL. 10/10

Very cleverly, it isn't set in Pratchett's discworld, but rather a "Secondary parallel universe nearby". Which means it can't be criticized for being "not right", "not what Pratchett wrote", "Not what I imagined". It's different. It's supposed to be different. But all your favourite Discworld characters, places and storylines pop up. Along with genuine Pratchett humour.

The series makes no attempt whatsoever to explain the characters, their relationships, the environment or the politics. So non Pratchett fans (are there any?) won't have a Scooby what's going on. Go read a book!

Gryff

Thanks, just watched 1st episode. Hope it gets better....

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » July 14th, 2021, 8:08 am

Switched on in expectation.
Switched off after half an hour.
Just not for me. Funny?

niord
Lemon Pip

Postby niord » July 14th, 2021, 8:51 am

I love Terry Pratchett's work but sorry to say this did nothing for me. I lasted a half hour before switching off.

gvonge
Lemon Pip

Postby gvonge » July 14th, 2021, 10:44 am

gryffron wrote:Must see "The Watch" on BBC iPlayer. 8 x 45mins.

But all your favourite Discworld characters, places and storylines pop up.

Gryff

No Colon or Nobby.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 14th, 2021, 2:50 pm

I watched the first episode yesterday and it left me puzzled; who were they aiming it at?

If it was Terry Pratchett fans then they messed up big time as everyone will be pointing out the significant differences, changes, and omissions.

If it was non Terry Pratchett fans then they also messed up as so many of the jokes and references required you to have a knowledge of his work to get the joke.

I noticed the introduction said something to the effect of "Inspired by the work of Terry Pratchett" but perhaps should have said "Inspired by a half overhead conversation of Terry Pratchett's work down the pub by someone who had never read the books and who had consumed a few drinks and couldn't remember everything and then handed their notes to the cheapest scriptwriter they could find to see what they could make of it and then started filming with whatever they produced".

Will I watch the rest; probably as it isn't absolutely terrible.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » July 15th, 2021, 3:18 pm

We lasted half an hour then gave up. Not too sure who it was aimed at but it certainly wasn't Pratchet fans. I absolutely hate the way companies buy the right to something because it's a success then muck about with it so much it's no longer recognizable. I mean a female Patrician and even worse a female Dibbler and before anyone scream equality I'm female.

R6

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”