Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Postby Arborbridge » August 19th, 2021, 12:55 pm

I've just come to the end of my Buffy watch, and I'm feeling a little sad. It's been a lengthy process but I've enjoyed watching the characters (and to and extent, the actors) grow up, and now to be frank, I feel a little bereft and sad. I'm a sentimental git at the best of times, and when I've been "living" in a particular world like that, it's always a wrench to leave it.

For those who just think Buffy was a silly series about dust-ups with vampires (on one level it was) I think it was much more importantly a relationship series, a coming of age series and finally a series of female empowerment - quite ahead of its time in some of the episodes.

This morning I couldn't face cold- turkey, so I actually sat down and lured myself into watching Series 1 episode 1 again. That was interesting to see how they started off and how much younger they look, but it also made me feel even more sentimental as one could not re-enter that world with the same intensity.

So, goodbye Buffy, Willow, Zander, Anya (a particular favourite as she reminds me of Saga in the Bridge), Rupert, and particularly Spike who love saved the world from evil.

:( I feel in turmoil just writing this goodbye note......

Anyother Buffy lovers here?

Arb.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Postby Bubblesofearth » August 19th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Arborbridge wrote:

Arb.

Yes. Season 3 was IMO as good as any season of any tv series ever.

BoE

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 19th, 2021, 3:13 pm

Arborbridge wrote: when I've been "living" in a particular world like that, it's always a wrench to leave it.

There's always "Angel"!?

Yeah.. I suppose not.

BtVS was just nonchalantly brilliant in places - like the reveal of the lift to the Initiative!

More than once I've watched the first episode and forgotten Julie Benz was in it
- I've been considering watching it all through with the kids recently... but I need to find a decent copy or streaming source (they're spoilt by 4k the content little sods)

In the meantime we're 3 episodes in to Firefly (with pizza on a Friday it seems).. this time with the youngest watching
- and when that's over I'll be gutted again

-sd

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 19th, 2021, 3:19 pm

If you could not face cold-turkey, just have a good stake dinner :D

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 19th, 2021, 3:59 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb.

Yes. Season 3 was IMO as good as any season of any tv series ever.

BoE

Up to the distruction of Sunnydale High? After they went to college the show dealt with increasing dark ideas round series 5-6. The death of a parent handled particularly well. When you realise it's not about vampires but about people fighting there own demons and finding a place in the world,about struggling with their relationships, then it makes more sense. Forget the fight scenes, they are superficial: like all good TV it's the interaction between people which make it great.

Buffy definitely earns its place as "relationship drama". In a way like my other passion Star Trek NG, although not so wide ranging, and not covering some much philosophy.

When I look back on the times when these shows were made, I always feel morose as I'm looking at my own mortality played out, and of those actors who were there. What became of them is often sad - they start off all shiny and new and ten, twenty years later sometimes sink almost without trace. Alyson Hannigan has a good career, SMG less so, but one of my all time favourites from Star Trek - Terry Farrell - hardly ever worked again AFAIK. What a loss when good actors are not picked up, become type cast or never again find a niche for their talents. That initial success, when it leads to nothing as great, must hang over you for the rest of your life - especially if you hit the big time at 20 then spend 40 years hoping, but being forgotten (i.e Sunset Boulevard for real) . Not surprising many actors succumb to drink or depression: it's a cruel fast moving profession.

Arb.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » August 19th, 2021, 4:28 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Up to the distruction of Sunnydale High? After they went to college the show dealt with increasing dark ideas round series 5-6. The death of a parent handled particularly well. When you realise it's not about vampires but about people fighting there own demons and finding a place in the world,about struggling with their relationships, then it makes more sense. Forget the fight scenes, they are superficial: like all good TV it's the interaction between people which make it great.

Buffy definitely earns its place as "relationship drama". In a way like my other passion Star Trek NG, although not so wide ranging, and not covering some much philosophy.

Arb.

Yes, good tv is first and foremost about character development. By season 3 the characters had matured and we had the introduction of a further great character in Faith. The story arc, also important in any series, was brilliant with the Mayor, and eventually Faith, as the baddies.

I have in the past dipped into Star Trek NG but never watched it all. I may revisit. A series I did surprise myself by enjoying recently was The 100. Once you get past the first few episodes it's a pretty intense drama with some good character development. Not wanting to spoil anything but the descent into darkness of one of the characters was reminiscent IMO of Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. If you do ever watch it let me know what you think.

BoE

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 19th, 2021, 5:00 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Up to the distruction of Sunnydale High? After they went to college the show dealt with increasing dark ideas round series 5-6. The death of a parent handled particularly well. When you realise it's not about vampires but about people fighting there own demons and finding a place in the world,about struggling with their relationships, then it makes more sense. Forget the fight scenes, they are superficial: like all good TV it's the interaction between people which make it great.

Arb.

Yes, good tv is first and foremost about character development. By season 3 the characters had matured and we had the introduction of a further great character in Faith. The story arc, also important in any series, was brilliant with the Mayor, and eventually Faith, as the baddies.

I have in the past dipped into Star Trek NG but never watched it all. I may revisit. A series I did surprise myself by enjoying recently was The 100. Once you get past the first few episodes it's a pretty intense drama with some good character development. Not wanting to spoil anything but the descent into darkness of one of the characters was reminiscent IMO of Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. If you do ever watch it let me know what you think.

BoE

I don't know The 100, but I will look it up, thanks.

As regards Buffy, by Season 6, they were scratching around at times introducing wht I would call "pot boilers". However, although there were there filler episodes, it still maintained integrity and an ultimate target - it wasn't like some shows which just lead you on to keep watching. I gave up on both Lost and Mr Selfridge - they were just inventing things to detain us! I still want a good beginning, middle and end (even though the end leads to withdrawal symptoms!).

I understand there were continuations of the story (another four or five series?) in comic form promoted by fans, but I don't see that working for me - it would not be "genuine" Buffydom.
In any case, although there was some ambiguity in the final episode, I think her final words and cryptic smile in the last shot meant: I'm now through with this, released from my obligation. My future is as a normal person hopefully finding a guy who isn't a vampire or monster :) But therein lies the rub - the whole show was about the guys being that way inclined, or useless. Apart from Spike who sacrifices all for love, it's the women who are the powerful ones.

It has been said that a "reboot" would still be relevant today. Perhaps, but how dreadful to think that the purity of the message would become diluted with loads of woke add-ons.

Arb.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » August 20th, 2021, 8:36 am

servodude wrote: but I need to find a decent copy or streaming source (they're spoilt by 4k the content little sods)

It's all on Prime. Quality is what it is - I doubt if it was shot with 4K in mind.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 20th, 2021, 9:07 am

xeny wrote:
servodude wrote: but I need to find a decent copy or streaming source (they're spoilt by 4k the content little sods)

It's all on Prime. Quality is what it is - I doubt if it was shot with 4K in mind.

Ah! It is in the UK and I'm not; I think Amazon are a bit more stringent with VPN checking than other services but I'll give it a try.

-sd

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » August 23rd, 2021, 11:18 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote: A series I did surprise myself by enjoying recently was The 100. Once you get past the first few episodes it's a pretty intense drama with some good character development.

I couldn’t understand a word. Every scene on the spaceship has rumbling machinery/aircon in the background. Every scene on earth has deafening music drowning out the conversation. I literally could not follow anything the characters were saying. So no, I didn’t get past the first couple of episodes.

Gryff

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » August 24th, 2021, 7:58 am

gryffron wrote:I couldn’t understand a word. Every scene on the spaceship has rumbling machinery/aircon in the background. Every scene on earth has deafening music drowning out the conversation. I literally could not follow anything the characters were saying. So no, I didn’t get past the first couple of episodes.

Gryff

I don't recall that being a problem but I've had it with other series in the past. One trick is to turn on subtitles. Obviously you need to be sufficiently interested in the program to do this but it's something I've done on occasion - also means I don't have to turn the tv up so loud to compensate for my ageing hearing!

BoE

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”