Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vigil - BBC1

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vigil - BBC1

Postby Hallucigenia » September 21st, 2021, 3:30 pm

kiloran wrote:I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but I don't get the reference to morse code.

You can do it via bangs if you can make two tones and agree in advance which is a dot and which is a dash. Which they slightly randomly agreed for no obvious reason, just before the final scene of episode 5 :
We won't pick you up [on radio] out here though, so bang on the door when you need to come out.
Do any of the crew know Morse Code?
Yes, I do.
OK, I'm going to find two tones. High tones for dots, low for dashes. In case we need to message.
Last edited by Hallucigenia on September 21st, 2021, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 21st, 2021, 3:34 pm

kiloran wrote:Morse Code is a sequence of dots and dashes, short and long. The letter C, for example, is _,_. (dah di dah dit). How do you transmit that by tapping? All you can do is tap. You can't do a long tap or a short tap. If you tried to emulate a dash by a tap followed by a pause, a C becomes . .. . which sounds like E (dit) followed by I (dit dit) followed by E (dit)

Doesn't stack up to me.

--kiloran

Taps with longer (dash) and shorter (dot) spaces between them
It must be quite a skill to send and even more so to decipher

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 21st, 2021, 4:02 pm

pje16 wrote:
kiloran wrote:Morse Code is a sequence of dots and dashes, short and long. The letter C, for example, is _,_. (dah di dah dit). How do you transmit that by tapping? All you can do is tap. You can't do a long tap or a short tap. If you tried to emulate a dash by a tap followed by a pause, a C becomes . .. . which sounds like E (dit) followed by I (dit dit) followed by E (dit)

Doesn't stack up to me.

--kiloran

Yes, it's the gaps that do it. Try SOS - it's quite possible.

Arb.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 21st, 2021, 4:20 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
pje16 wrote:

Doesn't stack up to me.

--kiloran

Arb.

That would sound like S E E E S to me
tap tap tap pause tap pause tap pause tap pause tap tap tap

--kiloran

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 21st, 2021, 4:28 pm

Yep, that's it, just tried it on my desk
couldn't resist having a go
probably like a few others :lol:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 21st, 2021, 4:29 pm

kiloran wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
pje16 wrote:

Arb.

That would sound like S E E E S to me

--kiloran

How about quick quick quick, slow slow slow, quick quick quick?

Anyhow, what use is it going to be, I wonder. Stuck behind a massive steel door gulping sea water? (contaminated with paint?)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 21st, 2021, 4:35 pm

Arborbridge wrote:How about quick quick quick, slow slow slow, quick quick quick?

That sounds like a foxtrot to me :lol:

--kiloran

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 21st, 2021, 4:37 pm

kiloran wrote:That would sound like S E E E S to me

S E E E S? Seriously? On hearing that you wouldn't think SOS and wouldn't act unless you heard ...

tap tap tap long-pause tap pause tap pause tap long-pause tap tap tap

:?:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 21st, 2021, 4:44 pm

mc2fool wrote:

S E E E S? Seriously? On hearing that you wouldn't think SOS and wouldn't act unless you heard ...

I think anything which sounded a bit like SOS coming from a torpedo tube might getting people alerted!

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 21st, 2021, 4:47 pm

mc2fool wrote:

Well, I guess SOS is so well known even by those with no knowledge of morse that the rhythm would be a bit of a giveway.
But for conveying a message, simple taps just won't do it in morse code. Hallucigenia's idea of using high and low frequencies (ding dongs) could work, but it's not very easy to send or decode. Certainly difficult at 25 words per minute!

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » September 21st, 2021, 5:30 pm

kiloran wrote: Hallucigenia's idea of using high and low frequencies (ding dongs) could work, but it's not very easy to send or decode. Certainly difficult at 25 words per minute!

Well she's not going to be writing War & Peace - just one word will be enough to identify the bad guy person and then she will be free to do something heroic and/or die horribly.

Thinking about it, writing the note ups the odds of the latter, although overcoming the previous watery trauma to be heroic is probably favourite?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 21st, 2021, 6:03 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:Line of Duty made something of a thing of killing off big characters, and it could be argued that the first death in Vigil was of a similar level.

Especially as he was moonlighting from Line of Duty (didn't last long, did he?). ;)

Hallucigenia wrote:But it's a good point that they explicitly made clear she knows Morse code.

I agree, it's got to be the Morse code, one way or another. Unlike in real life, nothing ever happens in films that isn't somehow relevant. They didn't use Morse in recovering the gas can, after bringing it up.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 21st, 2021, 6:30 pm

Louder and quieter taps. Sharp tap vs rapped knuckles. I don’t think it would be too hard to make them sound different.

On railways, a long ding of the electric bell sounded much flatter than the short pings usually used. It was often used with a single ping (call attention) as a code for “inspector present in my signalbox, use textbook procedure”

Gryff

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 22nd, 2021, 12:18 am

Hallucigenia wrote:
kiloran wrote: Hallucigenia's idea of using high and low frequencies (ding dongs) could work, but it's not very easy to send or decode. Certainly difficult at 25 words per minute!

Well she's not going to be writing War & Peace - just one word will be enough to identify the bad guy person and then she will be free to do something heroic and/or die horribly.

Thinking about it, writing the note ups the odds of the latter, although overcoming the previous watery trauma to be heroic is probably favourite?

Ensign: "There's banging coming from inside the torpedo tube! Shall I open it Sir?"

Marquis de Carabas: "Let's see what they've got to say first"

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » September 22nd, 2021, 12:55 am

servodude wrote:Ensign: "There's banging coming from inside the torpedo tube! Shall I open it Sir?"

"Of course not Jenkins, as far as we know, she's got The Box Of Death in there with her, if we open it then the whole crew will die. "

And/or "We cannae open the tubes sir, once they start filling we cannae stop it until they've been full for a good 10 minutes"

And/or "We managed to cover up the deaths of the US contractors, we can cover up this, particularly since she was finding out all sorts of inconvenient truths that we'd quite like to hide from the public"

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 22nd, 2021, 9:53 am

Hallucigenia wrote:
servodude wrote:Ensign: "There's banging coming from inside the torpedo tube! Shall I open it Sir?"

"Of course not Jenkins, as far as we know, she's got The Box Of Death in there with her, if we open it then the whole crew will die. "

I may have got this wrong but I thought "The Box of Death", plus the "evidence", went into one torpedo tube and she went into another one.

Hallucigenia wrote:And/or "We cannae open the tubes sir, once they start filling we cannae stop it until they've been full for a good 10 minutes"

OK, here is another possible scenario.

There is another SCRAM or power failure, the pumps stop working, everything goes quiet. She bangs madly on the torpedo tube sides, somebody says: "Quiet! What is that banging?" She taps out "SOS", they tap out "Where?", she taps out "Torpedo". And with one bound...

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 22nd, 2021, 10:03 am

Glad my life doesn't depend on TAPPING out "torpedo"
can just about manage "SOS" :lol:

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » September 22nd, 2021, 10:06 am

XFool wrote:I may have got this wrong but I thought "The Box of Death", plus the "evidence", went into one torpedo tube and she went into another one.

I don't think we saw one way or the other? And the crew wouldn't know for sure, and would be reluctant to take the risk on something that could wipe out the entire crew. More likely that the baddie would have kept The Box of Death to use another time, but again the crew wouldn't know.

Torpedo tubes are massive, you could get at least three people end-to-end so space is not an issue.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 23rd, 2021, 11:28 pm

She can't be fired out of the tube - to survive that would be ridiculous quite frankly what with the impulsive forces involved. Marvel movies maybe, BBC no.
That is the sort of method Mr Un would use to dispatch his cousins...

It would be a shame if she drowned - the BBC must have gambled they'd have a hit in their hands - maybe different endings filmed? - therefore, predictably, a season 2 will want to be commissioned. Ergo will want Suranne Jones involved. There's plenty of scope for smart writers to solve the murders but keep the sub down there for a little longer, and plenty more back stories to be developed ...

The only way out is to open the drain valve or internal door I think.

There was a (very small) pocket of air left in that final shot, and we do not know who else might be lurking down there.

My money is on that chappie with the gun who she talked down earlier on coming to the rescue .... (and remember he already knows how to get hold of the guns)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 24th, 2021, 7:09 am

moorfield wrote:There's plenty of scope for smart writers to solve the murders but keep the sub down there for a little longer, and plenty more back stories to be developed ...

Oh NO I do hope not, when will they learn :roll:
why is it, that with any good programme they want to milk it to death
Best examples of messing it up
Killing Eve - series 1 - Brilliant, Series 2 - weird, Series 3 - didn'lt bother to watch
Line of Duty - generally very good but they end a major disappointment with thhe unlikey villain !
Best Examples - Fawlty Towers where they made 12 episodes and DID NOT want to ruin with more amd more weaker episodes

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”