Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vigil - BBC1

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vigil - BBC1

Postby gryffron » September 1st, 2021, 12:11 am

My Navy pals complained it is way too formal for a submarine. Relations between officers and crew are much more pally in such a confined environment.

moorfield wrote:Flawed from the get go I thought - if the mission to remain undetected is SO critical why did the captain radio out the death in the first place? Just keep the body stowed until end of patrol?

The story logic was explained: They were still in UK waters therefore civvy police jurisdiction. Not sure how true that is.

I can’t imagine the patrol begins the very instant they set to sea. Surely there is a small crossover with the previous ship’s patrol? I mean the Russkis must know where they are when they leave Faslane. If they were less than 12 miles out, surely they could have come back, dumped the body, and extended the previous patrol to cover. No? Yes, I know, it’s just a story.

Gryff

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » September 1st, 2021, 7:18 am

gryffron wrote:My Navy pals complained it is way too formal for a submarine. Relations between officers and crew are much more pally in such a confined environment.

moorfield wrote:Flawed from the get go I thought - if the mission to remain undetected is SO critical why did the captain radio out the death in the first place? Just keep the body stowed until end of patrol?

The story logic was explained: They were still in UK waters therefore civvy police jurisdiction. Not sure how true that is.

I can’t imagine the patrol begins the very instant they set to sea. Surely there is a small crossover with the previous ship’s patrol? I mean the Russkis must know where they are when they leave Faslane. If they were less than 12 miles out, surely they could have come back, dumped the body, and extended the previous patrol to cover. No? Yes, I know, it’s just a story.

Gryff

The Royal Navy has their own police which would investigate something like this, wherever in the world the ship or submarine was. No chance of having a civilian copper on a submarine on patrol!

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 1st, 2021, 8:04 am

Arborbridge wrote:Actually, the way all the crew behave is not what you would expect - however, the scriptwriters are conjuring up a drama, not a documentary. So let's bear with, eh?

Exactly, if you want your TV to be factual, stick to documentaries
This is entertaiment and IMHO it's pretty good
I have a mate who used to be in the police and when I asked him about how it compared to TV, his response was they get most of it right, but the average day is nowhere near as action packed as a TV show

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 1st, 2021, 8:25 am

Spet0789 wrote:
gryffron wrote:My Navy pals complained it is way too formal for a submarine. Relations between officers and crew are much more pally in such a confined environment.

Gryff

The Royal Navy has their own police which would investigate something like this, wherever in the world the ship or submarine was. No chance of having a civilian copper on a submarine on patrol!

Well if the captain is concerned he may be being tracked by another sub and his primary mission is to remain undetected, which seems to be a big deal for him, then he's compromising the nuclear deterrant surely.

And Chief Petty Officer Arnott would not have questioned his superior officers like that - basic training and discipline.

Like the lowest common factor of many such dramas it is heading for nookie in the bomb shop I think, although even that may be unrealistic on a submarine!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 1st, 2021, 8:28 am

Spet0789 wrote:The Royal Navy has their own police which would investigate something like this, wherever in the world the ship or submarine was.

It's not a "ship", it's a "boat"! That was covered in episode one. :lol:

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 1st, 2021, 8:53 am

moorfield wrote:Another dark mumbling offering from BBC!! Had to watch it on iplayer ( lighter contrast than telly for some reason ) and on subtitles.

Flawed from the get go I thought - if the mission to remain undetected is SO critical why did the captain radio out the death in the first place? Just keep the body stowed until end of patrol?

It's ok. I'll have to stick with it now to see if my prediction of police lady/coxswain nookie in the bomb shop bears out....

If my gaydar is working then a bit of police lady/doctor action is more likely.

John

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 1st, 2021, 9:32 am

redsturgeon wrote:
moorfield wrote:Another dark mumbling offering from BBC!! Had to watch it on iplayer ( lighter contrast than telly for some reason ) and on subtitles.

Flawed from the get go I thought - if the mission to remain undetected is SO critical why did the captain radio out the death in the first place? Just keep the body stowed until end of patrol?

It's ok. I'll have to stick with it now to see if my prediction of police lady/coxswain nookie in the bomb shop bears out....

If my gaydar is working then a bit of police lady/doctor action is more likely.

John

Bring it on!

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 1st, 2021, 10:28 am

pje16 wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:pje16
Well I'm not going to try and find them cos I want to take my brain out and enjoy it.

@Gerry557
Sorry I wasn't asking you to do that, but you do seem to be very good a spotting the oddities
so ONLY if you can't resist another one :lol:
Love the description of take the brain out and enjoy it
I think I do that with everything I watch :roll:

It might be best to ask someone with Telegraph access to list what they have spotted. Mistakes in uniforms are unlikely to be noticed by the average joe but common sense says you are likely to notice 50 people and 2 dogs just wandering about all the time at the base. I suppose they want to make it "look busy" rather than "look at all those people just wasting time" Maybe I have my LEAN head on or the navy do need to make more redundancies. Did the reactor scram not tickle your spidey senses? There is probably a list of submarine mistakes in the Telegraph.

I suppose they cant be too accurate cos it will give away to many real secrets.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » September 1st, 2021, 11:10 am

The inside of the sub seemed much more spacious than I expected. My only experience is going inside the sub at Chatham dockyard which I appreciate is a completely different class.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 1st, 2021, 12:52 pm

bluedonkey wrote:The inside of the sub seemed much more spacious than I expected.

It is. I heard a naval person and the director(?) being interviewed about it on R4. Naval man made the same point, the director explained the gangways were more spacious than real life to allow two actors to stand together talking. Naval guy said in real submarine the lighting is much brighter; case of 'atmosphere'?

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » September 1st, 2021, 5:35 pm

XFool wrote:the director explained the gangways were more spacious than real life to allow two actors to stand together talking.

There's also just the Covid thing. On the other hand these are much bigger boats than the Oberon at Chatham - 16,000t versus 2,000t. I understand why people get upset about it - just the archaic Sea King jarred for me, as a non-naval person - but I think you just have to roll with it, in the same way that James Bond is not an accurate depiction of life in the intelligence services.

Apparently the director has been dismissing complaints about accuracy "because the Navy wouldn't cooperate". That's patently not true, they usually love the publicity and let Channel 5 spend five nights on a Vanguard submarine last year. So if nothing else they could have watched that, and there's been other ones such as the 2010 BBC one on building an Astute. But I think the real reason lies in where the script is going, given that their naval advisor is one Feargal Dalton, an Irishman who became an RN submariner, then joined CND and is now an SNP councillor in Glasgow, married to SNP MP for Glasgow NW Carol Monaghan. He's even a member of the 1916 Rising Centenary Committee (Scotland). So I think it's a fair guess that he's no fan of Westminster, and no fan of Trident.

We've already had conflict over jurisdiction on the submarine and now at the base, between the Scottish police and what will no doubt be portrayed as "London's" navy. You can see that going up the chain of command and turn into issues of sovereignty, with Holyrood accusing the imperial occupying forces of covering up the deaths of innocent Scots on the trawler.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 2nd, 2021, 6:45 am

"just the archaic Sea King jarred for me"

Classic historical helicopter, there fixed it for you!

The BBC playing politics with its dramas, wot ever next! Please don't spoilt it for me as this is the first thing in a while I have watched on teresteral. If it turns into Question time at sea and he was killed by Brexit its going to spoil my assessment or the plot.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » September 2nd, 2021, 7:24 am

XFool wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:The Royal Navy has their own police which would investigate something like this, wherever in the world the ship or submarine was.

The Royal Navy has both ships and submarines. What’s your point?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 2nd, 2021, 7:27 am

Spet0789 wrote:
XFool wrote:

The Royal Navy has both ships and submarines. What’s your point?

I guess surface ships are ships. Submarines are boats?

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » September 2nd, 2021, 10:51 am

Sometimes called pigboats I believe due to the restricted amount of water for showers, etc.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 2nd, 2021, 11:06 am

Good knowledge above :)
http://www.pigboats.com/

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » September 2nd, 2021, 11:19 am

Every submarine drama has "Das Boot" to live up to. I'd give Das Boot 10/10.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 12th, 2021, 10:10 pm

Saying for this evening's episode: "You're gonna need more torpedo tubes." :)

And this evening's 'deliberate' mistake? - "That was over an hour ago and they haven't replied."

Didn't they tell us initially (and it would make complete sense) that: "On operational service we can receive messages but not send them"?

Then the captain was seen bollocking the hydrophone operator just after I had been thinking: "Surely they should have checked for ships in the area before deploying their communications cable?" It being obvious from the incident that they were going to be "recalled".

I'm getting the hang of this now!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 12th, 2021, 10:23 pm

Tonight was the night when I gave up on this serial. I lost interest.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 12th, 2021, 11:47 pm

Vigil episode four recap – Silva and the crew are in deep water

The Gaudian

As Suranne Jones’s detective continues her submarine snooping, more details of blackmail, Port Havers and poor Jade’s death rise to the surface

;)

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”