Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vigil - BBC1

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vigil - BBC1

Postby Gerry557 » September 13th, 2021, 8:57 am

XFool wrote:Saying for this evening's episode: "You're gonna need more torpedo tubes." :)

And this evening's 'deliberate' mistake? - "That was over an hour ago and they haven't replied."

Didn't they tell us initially (and it would make complete sense) that: "On operational service we can receive messages but not send them"?

Then the captain was seen bollocking the hydrophone operator just after I had been thinking: "Surely they should have checked for ships in the area before deploying their communications cable?" It being obvious from the incident that they were going to be "recalled".

I'm getting the hang of this now!

The transmission of the sending of the message is what would potentially give away their position. So basically they don't unless in an emergency situation or when ordered. There isn't anything to stop them transmitting at any time really, well apart from a stuck cable in a shipping lane apparently. It also looks to have stopped them from reaching "periscope depth" and just using the radio.

I keep trying to take my brain out just to enjoy it and then she fails to save the world from nuclear war. Even Jason Bourne would have taken down a couple of crew members and a curtain.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 13th, 2021, 9:02 am

We have some very sharp viewers on this thread
and I enjoy reading the bloopers and insights, mainly as I take my brain out when watching TV (as if it was engaged in the first place :lol: )
I still enjoy it

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 13th, 2021, 10:24 am

I am enjoying it. It doesn't purport to be a documentary!

John

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 20th, 2021, 10:21 am

After last night's episode it seems DCI Silva is now in serious danger of being fired from her position...

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 20th, 2021, 6:29 pm

I'm not bothered about the bloopers - what interests me is having set up a situation, how will they resolve it? It's more of a puzzle that a realistic drama and that's how I am viewing it. I do find some of the plot lines not just unbelievable, but contrived. e.g. we were told they can hear, detect other vessels 40 miles away, so how come they missed a super tanker breathing down their necks?

Well, we are were we are - how does our lemon brains trust think the torpedo tube problem will be resolved? A few moments to disaster and probably the only person who knows where Amy has popped off to is a half dead cox'n, in no state to walk or talk let alone rescue her. And her dishy ex-girlfriend can't even send over a picture of the probable Russia "asset" to raise the alarm. I also assume said asset m\y have rescued the pot o'sarin from the tube for a second go at mayhem.

Arb.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 20th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Deus ex machina?

John

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » September 20th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Well, we are were we are - how does our lemon brains trust think the torpedo tube problem will be resolved? A few moments to disaster and probably the only person who knows where Amy has popped off to is a half dead cox'n, in no state to walk or talk let alone rescue her. And her dishy ex-girlfriend can't even send over a picture of the probable Russia "asset" to raise the alarm. I also assume said asset m\y have rescued the pot o'sarin from the tube for a second go at mayhem.

Arb.

I thought that the reference she made to morse code before venturing into the danger area must be relevant, but how she could tap out a warning from inside a flooding torpedo tube that could be heard within the bowels of the sub is a conundrum, and even if it was heard and understood, who could respond?

So no, I've no idea :D

Just a thought...

According to the flashbacks, she is a dab hand at getting out of underwater difficulties.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » September 20th, 2021, 8:16 pm

The now three quarters dead cox'n will whisper into the medical officer's ear where Silva has just run off with the pot of paint. She will surely rescue our heroine

or

staffordian wrote:According to the flashbacks, she is a dab hand at getting out of underwater difficulties.
- very smart - shot out of the torpedo tube and rescued by any of the following nuke subs - Indian/French/US/Chinese/Yanks.

or

through a future time loop Silva is rescued by Oz's first nuke sub just launched (probably around 2085).

T7

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » September 20th, 2021, 10:37 pm

staffordian wrote:I thought that the reference she made to morse code before venturing into the danger area must be relevant, but how she could tap out a warning from inside a flooding torpedo tube that could be heard within the bowels of the sub is a conundrum,

On a submarine with supposedly some of the most sensitive sonar equipment in the world? Certainly plausible. Perhaps a bit too plausible...

... seeing how a bit unrealistic and contrived some aspects are, I'm sure it's going to turn out to be something completely different.

Mind you, if this were "The Bridge", there's every possibility she might just get fired from her position. That's what made The Bridge so gripping - by the time you got to episode 9 of the first serious, you were left feeling no character was safe from the chop.

But Vigil being the BBC, everyone is just taking it as a given she'll be fine.

Still, I'm hooked though...

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 20th, 2021, 10:56 pm

terminal7 wrote:The now three quarters dead cox'n will whisper into the medical officer's ear where Silva has just run off with the pot of paint. She will surely rescue our heroine

My guess. I reckon the cox’n will recover enough to whisper the traitors name, and t’others will go “oh no, he’s in the torpedo room with the DCI.”

Gryff

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 21st, 2021, 7:40 am

"how does our lemon brains trust think the torpedo tube problem"

Well I'm hoping she goes full Steven Seagal, under seige!

Fire her out the tube, she swims to the periscope, clings on, then enters through a hatch when they are forced to surface.

Fortunately she grabbed the note, as it was wrapped in plastic, so not only saves the ship but also the planet from said plastic. The Russians fire at the sub causing a Voyage to the bottom of the sea, sub shake, side to side.

This knocks the baddy over and the Cox bops him one with his final effort whilst the navy patrol ship steams in and takes out the Russian aggressors. Half the cast of Casualty are dropped off by that Navy stolen yellow RAF helicopter and they even managed to revive DS Steve Arnott who was falsely pronounced dead by the subs doctor who is having a doctor Dench moment.

Or maybe not. I think I'll take my brain out and try to enjoy the last one. I even enjoyed this one till it got to the 15min limitation and they started closing doors really slowly and just standing there "looking" good job they had those leds on the inside of the helmets.

Still, next Sunday nights schedule has been cleared.

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » September 21st, 2021, 9:27 am

Arborbridge wrote:I do find some of the plot lines not just unbelievable, but contrived. e.g. we were told they can hear, detect other vessels 40 miles away, so how come they missed a super tanker breathing down their necks?

I *thought* they'd resolved that. IIRC the captain asked how the F*** they had missed that, and the sonar operator (who we now know more about) said something to the effect that there was a lot of traffic in the area, and they had a "bow breaker". Which I believe to be a bulbous bow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbous_bow presumably reducing the noise signature, especially around the bow.

I am really enjoying the series, but I did shout out at the TV this time - "Surely to God most of the sub crew would know Morse code, but it's far less likely the detective would!". I'm not sure we have seen anything in her back story to explain why she would know Morse - maybe I just missed it.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 21st, 2021, 9:33 am

Maybe she "Endeavoured" to learn it :lol:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 21st, 2021, 9:36 am

Boots wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I do find some of the plot lines not just unbelievable, but contrived. e.g. we were told they can hear, detect other vessels 40 miles away, so how come they missed a super tanker breathing down their necks?

I *thought* they'd resolved that. IIRC the captain asked how the F*** they had missed that, and the sonar operator (who we now know more about) said something to the effect that there was a lot of traffic in the area, and they had a "bow breaker". Which I believe to be a bulbous bow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbous_bow presumably reducing the noise signature, especially around the bow.

I am really enjoying the series, but I did shout out at the TV this time - "Surely to God most of the sub crew would know Morse code, but it's far less likely the detective would!". I'm not sure we have seen anything in her back story to explain why she would know Morse - maybe I just missed it.

I missed the comment about the bow breaker, but that seems a weak excuse. The sound made by a super tanker a couple of miles away must be enormous compared with the submarines they are trying to track.

Still, it's a fig leaf so we'll let them get away with it. :)

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » September 21st, 2021, 9:40 am

pje16 wrote:Maybe she "Endeavoured" to learn it :lol:

Oh, yeah.... I see what you did there...

:)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 21st, 2021, 9:43 am

Perhaps she will die? I don't see a way out which is quick enough to save her considering how long it toook to run from the contaminated room with the paint pot to the tubey room. At least she would be permanently brain damaged.
Her dishy girlfriend will solve the crime but end up distraught, and become Poppy's guardian.

We can't always have happy endings - there's usually some sacrificial victim, though not normally a major actor. So I expect they will miraculously pull her out gasping, just in the nick of time. But what of the paint pot? Where did that end up?

That reminds me that in most Star Trek stories we would spot the "sacrificial" in the story early on: the new cast member who would get done in sometime in the story.

Arb.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 21st, 2021, 1:11 pm

[quote="Arborbridge"

That reminds me that in most Star Trek stories we would spot the "sacrificial" in the story early on: the new cast member who would get done in sometime in the story.

Arb.[/quote]

Traditionally they were the one's wearing the red shirts.

John

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » September 21st, 2021, 2:01 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Perhaps she will die? I don't see a way out which is quick enough to save her considering how long it toook to run from the contaminated room with the paint pot to the tubey room. At least she would be permanently brain damaged.
Her dishy girlfriend will solve the crime but end up distraught, and become Poppy's guardian.

We can't always have happy endings - there's usually some sacrificial victim, though not normally a major actor. .

Line of Duty made something of a thing of killing off big characters, and it could be argued that the first death in Vigil was of a similar level. But in this case Suranne Jones may be too important as the viewer's only eyes on the submarine. I must admit my original assumption was that the coxswain would fight off the randy doctor from giving him the snog of life for long enough to blurt out the name, and then they could either go direct to the torpedo room or phone it through to the CO and then he either does the dash of life himself or eg sees the tube flooding and stops it remotely.

I don't think she gets brain-damaged - on the assumption that she's got a bit of air still to go before the end of last episode, she could hold her breath for mebbe 2-3 minutes, which would be enough for something to happen. She has form when it comes to holding her breath underwater.

But it's a good point that they explicitly made clear she knows Morse code. So either she uses it from inside the torpedo tube - they can't open it because of the Box Of Death - or she is outside the hull. So either she tells them the name via Morse and she dies, or they need to do something to apprehend the bad guy before she can safely get inside to tell them verbally. She could just give them the first letter - shame it's not H....

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » September 21st, 2021, 2:17 pm

What's the XO (Prentice?) doing? Now that he's joined the "white hats", perhaps he's going to step in to save the day?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 21st, 2021, 3:21 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:But it's a good point that they explicitly made clear she knows Morse code. So either she uses it from inside the torpedo tube - they can't open it because of the Box Of Death - or she is outside the hull. So either she tells them the name via Morse and she dies, or they need to do something to apprehend the bad guy before she can safely get inside to tell them verbally. She could just give them the first letter - shame it's not H....

I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but I don't get the reference to morse code.

Morse Code is a sequence of dots and dashes, short and long. The letter C, for example, is _,_. (dah di dah dit). How do you transmit that by tapping? All you can do is tap. You can't do a long tap or a short tap. If you tried to emulate a dash by a tap followed by a pause, a C becomes . .. . which sounds like E (dit) followed by I (dit dit) followed by E (dit)

Doesn't stack up to me.

--kiloran

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”