Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Making a murderer

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
iain123

Making a murderer

Postby iain123 » February 8th, 2017, 8:33 am

We are new to Netflix and have found a few good things to watch but for us so far the best has been 'Making a Murderer'. One of the best documentaries I’ve seen and had us both absolutely captivated for the full 10 episodes. The first is a little slow and leave you wondering why its won awards but stick with it. Worthwhile getting Netflix on a 'free for a month' deal just to watch this.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Making a murderer

Postby Gerry557 » September 14th, 2023, 9:18 am

A family member recommended this. Now it's two seasons.

1st impressions were not that great but then it starts to suck you in. Follows a chap in prison for murder who could be released on parole but maintains that he is innocent and stays in jail. Then new DNA evidence finally proves his innocence.

After release he sues police for $16m but then gets taken in on another murder charge. The series follows events and he suspects the police have set him up again to prevent his complaint against them.

It's quite mental really and the incidents keep coming and coming.

Did he do it?

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 13th, 2023, 7:13 am

So I finished both seasons of this and it does suck you in.

You are left wanting to work out the puzzle. The boss and I discussed several issues with the program. I thought it had a defence bias and wanted to know a bit more about some things that seemed to be over looked. The police appeared to be a bit shifty.

Anyway my search for more information to fix the puzzle has been helped by a new program. Convicting a Murderer.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8052768/

This puts the documentary into context and answers a lot of my questions. It also shows where the original programs editing actually lies to you. It also highlights where missing information that works against the suspect was left out.

The makers of the original program state that they had to edit the program as otherwise it would be a repeat of the trial but it does seem to be biased in its decisions.

Convicting also debunks a lot of the cliffhanger gotcha moments in Making.

Looking forward to the rest of these.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 13th, 2023, 7:34 am

Gerry557 wrote:So I finished both seasons of this and it does suck you in.

You are left wanting to work out the puzzle. The boss and I discussed several issues with the program. I thought it had a defence bias and wanted to know a bit more about some things that seemed to be over looked. The police appeared to be a bit shifty.

Anyway my search for more information to fix the puzzle has been helped by a new program. Convicting a Murderer.

This puts the documentary into context and answers a lot of my questions. It also shows where the original programs editing actually lies to you. It also highlights where missing information that works against the suspect was left out.

The makers of the original program state that they had to edit the program as otherwise it would be a repeat of the trial but it does seem to be biased in its decisions.

what's next? "Lynching a murderer"?

That said I believe we saw the first season; i think it was one of the first big Netflix documentary things
I'll see if the missus wants to catch up with the developments, if I remember correctly it was a bit of a car crash all round ( and involved a makeshift car yard?)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 13th, 2023, 7:40 am

iain123 wrote:We are new to Netflix and have found a few good things to watch but for us so far the best has been 'Making a Murderer'. One of the best documentaries I’ve seen and had us both absolutely captivated for the full 10 episodes. The first is a little slow and leave you wondering why its won awards but stick with it. Worthwhile getting Netflix on a 'free for a month' deal just to watch this.

Try "The Staircase" - you'll be intoxicated with it (noting it's Netflix)

AiY(D)

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 14th, 2023, 3:01 pm

servodude wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:So I finished both seasons of this and it does suck you in.

what's next? "Lynching a murderer"?

That said I believe we saw the first season; i think it was one of the first big Netflix documentary things
I'll see if the missus wants to catch up with the developments, if I remember correctly it was a bit of a car crash all round ( and involved a makeshift car yard?)

Well it looks like a lot of people are 50/50. You are either, he was fitted up or he is totally guilty. I missed the program initially so have seen it all pretty much consecutively rather recently. Convicting has finished yet. Maybe when its done Lynching might follow.

Im sure Netflix would love Re-Trialling a Murderer but suspect Convicting has covered most of the Aha moments in the first one.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 3rd, 2023, 5:01 pm

Having now watched all the Convicting, I feel duped by the original, Making a Murderer.

I can see why many fall for the Making story and why they might be angry with the Law. I can't believe that they did what they did. The producer's won awards for the program which is not as it first appeared. I wonder if they should be taken away.

In fact I would want to retract my recommendation to watch Convicting as the bits that suck you in are lies, non truths and spin and unbalanced. The bits that make you want to consider any guilty verdict are played down or missing. Even transcripts from the court case were modified.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » November 3rd, 2023, 10:39 pm

What is Netflix?

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » November 4th, 2023, 11:43 am

CliffEdge wrote:What is Netflix?

I believe it is a popular beat combo, m'lud
doolally ;)

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 4th, 2023, 2:09 pm

It's like BBC iplayer but cheaper and you can cancel it quite easily.

When you do cancel they don't keep sending you letters and putting you on investegation if you don't renew. If you decide to rejoin they don't backdate the costs to when you last had the service.

It also has 4k display and atmos sound plus no Eastenders **

** This might be a disadvantage for a few but not in this household.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » November 4th, 2023, 2:14 pm

Gerry557 wrote:

It's like BBC iplayer but cheaper and you can cancel it quite easily.

When you do cancel they don't keep sending you letters and putting you on investegation if you don't renew. If you decide to rejoin they don't backdate the costs to when you last had the service.

It also has 4k display and atmos sound plus no Eastenders **

** This might be a disadvantage for a few but not in this household.

We don't have iplayer but I know someone who does.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 4th, 2023, 4:06 pm

The series Convicting a murderer, how do you get to watch it? I can't find a way to watch it in the UK? Thanks.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 4th, 2023, 5:02 pm

BullDog wrote:The series Convicting a murderer, how do you get to watch it? I can't find a way to watch it in the UK? Thanks.

You might need a VPN

I think the first two episodes are free on Youtube or

https://support.dailywire.com/hc/en-us/ ... a-Murderer.

Visit a friend who has it.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 4th, 2023, 6:11 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
BullDog wrote:The series Convicting a murderer, how do you get to watch it? I can't find a way to watch it in the UK? Thanks.

You might need a VPN

I think the first two episodes are free on Youtube or

https://support.dailywire.com/hc/en-us/ ... a-Murderer.

Visit a friend who has it.

Thanks. I found that with the first two episodes. I'll not bother until I can find access to all the episodes. I wondered if it had been released outside USA on another channel. Obviously not. Yet.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 5th, 2023, 7:57 am

I wonder if Netflix will show it. Somehow I doubt it as it makes a mockery of their award winning program. Additionally the producers earn a lot on money from speaking engagements about the Very case and their (biased) was he framed documentary. I'm sure they would want to keep that gravy train undisturbed.

Some say it shouldn't even be called a documentary in the first place.

As an aside, there is a new judge assigned. This was touted as good news by the defence team.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”