Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cinema vs Home Watching

Reviews, favourites and suggestions

If the price was the same, would you prefer to watch new releases at the cinema or at home?

Poll ended at October 18th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Cinema
29%
Home
71%

Total votes: 34

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cinema vs Home Watching

Postby scotview » October 17th, 2021, 7:12 pm

With the coming of the dark nichts, last evening I watched "The Revenant" streaming in high quality video on Amazon Prime.

On our 65" OLED tv, lights off, with the sound turned up a bit on the Denon AV amp and stereo floor standers, the experience was great.

The quality of video streaming now is superb. It's rare that selling hype matches reality but our LG OLED surpasses my expectations (rare event, if ever).

I always find that cinema screens are a bit "grainy". There is always usually a distraction. Last time we went to a cinema, in Edinburgh, there was a near punch-up with old dears about seat booking, in an afternoon seniors showing.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » October 17th, 2021, 7:25 pm

kempiejon wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:
kempiejon wrote:Wasn't it Stephen Fry who said "What's the point of Sasinbury's? To keep the scum out of Waitrose."

No it wasn't :D

It was the late, great Alan Coren on the News Quiz.
"The only purpose of Sainsbury's is to keep the riff-raff out of Waitrose"

It was Fry too then - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBpVFwEoXh0 and no attribution to Alan.

It was and he was called on the failure to correctly attribute another's work ...
https://twitter.com/thesimonevans/statu ... 48?lang=en

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 18th, 2021, 6:02 pm

MaraMan wrote:The day I can afford a 65 foot cinema screen and a 44 speaker 12,000 watt sound system in my house then I will prefer to watch movies at home, but until then....

All the best

MM

That is the problem though isn't it. Which seat do you book, don't wanna be too close or too far. Plus you want to be in the sound bubble not on the edge. So all those speakers are to cover the size of the room and all the other rows that are not yours. Heaven help you if you are sat in a null or peak for the base.

I'm looking at Leeds and Bristol for my next trips but you can't find the info very easily about screens sizes and sound systems. I assume the centre seats will be the best and gradually get worse as you move out.

Maybe you can offer some tips on picking the best seats to get the best out of all those watts. After all it just needs to hit reference levels but that will be too loud for most people.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”