Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Have I Got News For You

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
swill453
Lemon Half

Have I Got News For You

Postby swill453 » October 18th, 2021, 7:26 pm

Last Friday's postponed episode is on BBC1 tonight at 10.35. And the extended "Have I Got A Bit More News For You" is on iPlayer now.

Scott.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Have I Got News For You

Postby Redmires » October 18th, 2021, 10:41 pm

For those who can't/don't use iplayer, the extended version is on BBC One at 01:10am on Tues night/Wednesday morning.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 19th, 2021, 10:40 am

Thanks for that. I'd been presuming that Friday's murder had also killed the general appetite for political levity, but I was also hoping that they hadn't said anything specifically unfortunate during Thursday's recording?

Sad news, also, about the death of James Brokenshire, who had put up a pretty sporting show on HIGNFY in the past. (I mean, considering that his job was to defend and represent Boris's sorry bunch.) :lol:

BJ

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » October 20th, 2021, 2:21 pm

I heard a rumour that the powers that be were considering Angus Deayton as questionmaster again. I do hope so, although a lot of the guests have made a good fist of it some have been past dire.

R6

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 20th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I heard a rumour that the powers that be were considering Angus Deayton as questionmaster again. I do hope so, although a lot of the guests have made a good fist of it some have been past dire.

R6

I think it was a R4 program earlier this year with either or both Merton and Hislop saying Hislop had got on with Deayton well enough, but Merton not so much He'd lost their respect when he'd been disgraced in the tabloids for the nth time and couldn't really host a show poking fun at the great and good when they'd fallen foul too.
A few weeks back I remember the story of the creator wanting him back.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 20th, 2021, 2:35 pm

I guess Bo Jo won't be hosting again :roll:
Shame as his bluster was hilarious when he did it :lol:

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 20th, 2021, 2:49 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Thanks for that. I'd been presuming that Friday's murder had also killed the general appetite for political levity, but I was also hoping that they hadn't said anything specifically unfortunate during Thursday's recording?

Sad news, also, about the death of James Brokenshire, who had put up a pretty sporting show on HIGNFY in the past. (I mean, considering that his job was to defend and represent Boris's sorry bunch.) :lol:

BJ

I've seen the HIGABMNFY from Friday - and it's a very funny episode!

Had anyone said anything specially unfortunate, it would have been cut. Having been in the audience for HIGNFY a couple of years ago, I can assure you that there is much content that will never make it into the final cut!

What we see on TV as a 30 or 45 minute show will have been condensed from about 3 hours of recording!

Watis

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 20th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Watis wrote:What we see on TV as a 30 or 45 minute show will have been condensed from about 3 hours of recording!
Watis

Know what you mean
I live quite close to where WWTBAM (millionaire) is filmed
been once to see it (in the Tarrant era) his banter with the audience was brilliant
Especially when he explained why they have double screens (In case one fails) and then they both did :lol:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 20th, 2021, 3:07 pm

Watis wrote:Having been in the audience for HIGNFY a couple of years ago, I can assure you that there is much content that will never make it into the final cut!

What we see on TV as a 30 or 45 minute show will have been condensed from about 3 hours of recording!

Oh indeed. I've been personally grateful for the post-edit facility, after I once did a truly woeful 30 minute interview for Financial Times TV, which was condensed down to 15 minutes of genial repartee as soon as I'd left the studio. My family only ever saw the fifteen minutes that were broadcast, which they thought were wonderful. I, however, was still cringing about the fifteen terrible toe-curling minutes that they'd left on the cutting room floor. :lol:

Oh, how I'd have liked to know what happened in the 30 minutes after Nigel Farage received a verbal punch on the nose, or after John Prescott walked off the set?

Or, for that matter, after Jo Brand asked Jacob Rees-Mogg whether he'd ever had a rhea sausage? I wonder how long it took them to get him back onto his chair after that one?

BJ

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » October 20th, 2021, 5:44 pm

kempiejon wrote:
I think it was a R4 program earlier this year with either or both Merton and Hislop saying Hislop had got on with Deayton well enough, but Merton not so much He'd lost their respect when he'd been disgraced in the tabloids for the nth time and couldn't really host a show poking fun at the great and good when they'd fallen foul too.
A few weeks back I remember the story of the creator wanting him back.

What's Funny About .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00101ql

vandefrosty
Lemon Pip

Postby vandefrosty » October 20th, 2021, 9:35 pm

Redmires wrote:
What's Funny About .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00101ql

Thanks for posting this. I find that a lot of BBC streaming online content isn't available outside of the UK so it was a real treat to be able to listen to this from Canada.

I used to watch HIGNIFY religiously when I lived in Europe from late 90's through early 2000's, and miss it since moving away. There is nothing else like it anywhere - at least not NZ nor North America **. As the What's Funny About gang allude, without actually saying, the show could not possibly survive the pressure from aggrieved advertisers and broadcasters if it had to fend for itself on commercial TV.

Greg

** Late night TV hosts like Kimmel, Colbert, especially Seth Myers and Trevor Noah, and previously Jon Stewart, have a pretty good go at mocking newsmakers of the day, but it's not the same. It's mostly all scripted and it, not entirely undeservedly, attracts criticism for projecting a liberal bias.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”