Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Showtrial

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
pje16
Lemon Half

Showtrial

Postby pje16 » November 3rd, 2021, 7:30 pm

From the makers who brought us Vigil and Line of Duty

Started last Sunday on BBC1 9pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... d=p09twdth

It gripped me so I've binged it
Worth watching just for Celine Buckens (surely destined for greater things) performance as a privleged uppity little cow
(your view of her will change throughout the series)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Showtrial

Postby mc2fool » November 3rd, 2021, 7:59 pm

pje16 wrote:From the makers who brought us Vigil and Line of Duty

Started last Sunday on BBC1 9pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... d=p09twdth

It gripped me so I've binged it
Worth watching just for Celine Buckens (surely destined for greater things) performance as a privleged uppity little cow
(your view of her will change throughout the series)

Yup, me too. Watched the first episode on Sunday and then immediately cranked up iPlayer and watched the rest of the series ... got to bed late on Sunday. :D

I thought both of the leads, Celine Buckens and Tracy Ifeachor, gave great performances. Indeed, pretty good from all of the (mostly female) cast.

And glad I watched it all before the bored-since-Vigil-finished armchair "experts" start telling us the likes of, well, a real prosecutor would never say that to a detective ... and, you know, the police station was far larger than a real one, etc ... :roll:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 4th, 2021, 8:37 am

I watched the first episode, and judge it good enough to carry on. It had some acceptable virtues: interesting concept, not too many characters as yet jostling for attention, fine acting from the main protagonists. The contrast between the cool but frustrated lawyer and the entitled couldn't-care-less suspect, gave us the energy we need to build an interest and raises questions which hopefully will be answered as the story unwinds.

Doubts? As I understand it, the whole point is how much we will judge someone by the presented facts, as opposed to the manner and character of the (obnoxious) suspect. The disadvantage here is that there may not be an answer, a clear cut ending - I understand it is the audience who will have to judge. Though this is an interesting idea (not entirely new, BTW) I always prefer a beginning, middle and end. I hate wasting my time, as I see it, working through a series only to be left hanging without a solution.

Being old school, I shall not binge this one, but look forward to it unfolding in the time honoured manner each Sunday. I don't see any reason to do otherwise and like the anticipation. Not for me this modern trend of having everything "now" with instant gratification.
Verdict: a good Sunday night watch based on this episode.

Arb.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 4th, 2021, 12:09 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I hate wasting my time, as I see it, working through a series only to be left hanging without a solution.
Arb.

Know what you mean
Line of Duty was brilliant to begin with but they milked it to death, so the ending was a joke
Showtrial just goes along quite nicely and doesn't disappoint

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 4th, 2021, 12:32 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Being old school, I shall not binge this one, but look forward to it unfolding in the time honoured manner each Sunday. I don't see any reason to do otherwise and like the anticipation. Not for me this modern trend of having everything "now" with instant gratification.

Yeah, I generally agree, although just occasionally a real page-turner comes on and the desire to see what happens next is overwhelming. :D Another I found like that was Thirteen (my introduction to Jodie Comer), which I really recommend if you haven't caught it already. I keep on meaning to spend a wet day watching it again, maybe soon ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p03kbqgf/thirteen

Re doubts, are you sure ... or is that just what you've been led to think? :D

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 4th, 2021, 1:39 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Being old school, I shall not binge this one, but look forward to it unfolding in the time honoured manner each Sunday. I don't see any reason to do otherwise and like the anticipation. Not for me this modern trend of having everything "now" with instant gratification.

Yeah, I generally agree, although just occasionally a real page-turner comes on and the desire to see what happens next is overwhelming. :D Another I found like that was Thirteen (my introduction to Jodie Comer), which I really recommend if you haven't caught it already. I keep on meaning to spend a wet day watching it again, maybe soon ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p03kbqgf/thirteen

Re doubts, are you sure ... or is that just what you've been led to think? :D

As regards that final point, I read that in one of the weekend reviews which I thought implied that it will be up to the watchers to come to a conclusion.

I've never heard of "Thirteen", so one to look up. Though at present, I have enough trouble catching up with things that I have recorded for later.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 5th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Re doubts, are you sure ... or is that just what you've been led to think? :D

As regards that final point, I read that in one of the weekend reviews which I thought implied that it will be up to the watchers to come to a conclusion.

Ah, so it is what you've been led to think? :D (Or did you miss the irony in my question as a response to your doubts? ;)) Or is your answer a double-bluff?!? :o

Ok, sorry, I'll stop teasing. :lol: If you can now, try to watch on without any expectations and we'll see what you think after the end ... but in the meanwhile, keep an eagle eye out ....................... !

Oh, and do try and catch Thirteen.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 6th, 2021, 7:13 am

mc2fool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Re doubts, are you sure ... or is that just what you've been led to think? :D

Ah, so it is what you've been led to think? :D (Or did you miss the irony in my question as a response to your doubts? ;)) Or is your answer a double-bluff?!? :o

Ok, sorry, I'll stop teasing. :lol: If you can now, try to watch on without any expectations and we'll see what you think after the end ... but in the meanwhile, keep an eagle eye out ....................... !

Oh, and do try and catch Thirteen.

Is that the miniseries with Jodie Comer?

As regards Showtrial, after the first ep, I am certainly up for watching the rest and I will see if what I've been led to believe is believable :)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 6th, 2021, 11:09 am

Arborbridge wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Oh, and do try and catch Thirteen.

Is that the miniseries with Jodie Comer?

Yup, see link above.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 7th, 2021, 12:00 pm

Back to Showtrial - this is indeed a lot of fun. Lot of the usual class tropes mixed with some sparkling acting and witty banter. Overall decision - guilty of keeping the OH and I fully entertained.
T7

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 8th, 2021, 5:26 pm

I wasn't going to watch this after Vigil but saw 10 mins last night. I recognised Bristol marina as a location having spent the day in the same spot at the weekend.

The 10 min didn't put me off so might give it a go

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 9th, 2021, 3:58 am

Tracy Ifeachor, simply outstanding acting. As were most of the others.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 9th, 2021, 9:40 am

SPOILER

nimnarb wrote:Tracy Ifeachor, simply outstanding acting. As were most of the others.

Her face on the 'gotcha' right at the end just for a moment turned everything upside down so that the viewers were also the recipients of the gotcha.

T7

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 9th, 2021, 10:06 am

Episode two makes me want to watch more.

I just love the knock-about quality of the relationship between the three principal women. Brilliant. As for the young rich kid, there is something about her couldn't care less attitude I admire. She's her own worst enemy but I sometimes wish I could have been that confident careelssly disagreable in my younger days. However..... she does show that under it all there's vulnerability and that is also appealing.

Am I beginning to root for her?

Arb.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 10th, 2021, 11:42 am

terminal7 wrote:SPOILER

When you go to the last post, read upwards......

Then see the words Spoiler after reading the spoiler. :|

nimnarb wrote:Tracy Ifeachor, simply outstanding acting. As were most of the others.

Her face on the 'gotcha' right at the end just for a moment turned everything upside down so that the viewers were also the recipients of the gotcha.

T7

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 10th, 2021, 11:55 am

:oops:

T7

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 12th, 2021, 9:09 am

terminal7 wrote::oops:

T7

As spoilers go it's not that blatant.

John

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 22nd, 2021, 9:01 am

I'm one of those dinosaurs that prefer to watch a serial as it is broadcast, so I am still going along with Showtrial week by week.

Here we are, in the first part of the trial itself, and I am finding it an excellent watch. Clever, quite tense and am still not sure how it will end, as one would expect. I just hope the end isn't a let down with no clear answer - although I suspect that may be what happens.

Arb.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » November 22nd, 2021, 9:44 am

Arborbridge wrote:I'm one of those dinosaurs that prefer to watch a serial as it is broadcast, so I am still going along with Showtrial week by week.

Arb.

I used to do that but I find my memory is no longer good enough to remember what happened a week ago!

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » November 22nd, 2021, 10:22 am

Enjoyed this one.
Watched one episode a night so still up to speed come the following day.

Finding Shetland good but spend the beginning of each episode taken up trying to remember who did what to whom and why.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”