Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

CODA

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

CODA

Postby Pendrainllwyn » January 1st, 2022, 1:52 pm

CODA (Child of deaf adults) is the best movie I have watched over the holiday season. A really enjoyable and humorous coming-of-age / family drama. A girl (Ruby) is the only hearing person in her family. She wakes at 3am to help her father and brother fish on the open sea before going to school. Ruby discovers she is a good singer and is encouraged by her music teacher. Ruby is torn between helping her family with their struggling fishing business and pursuing her own path as a singer. Two scenes I found particularly touching. The first when Ruby's family attends a performance of the school choir. At one point when Ruby is singing the soundtrack goes silent and her father watches the audiences' response to get a feel for her singing. The second is when Ruby attends an audition for music school. During the audition Ruby notices her family sneak onto the balcony whereupon she sings for them and translates with sign language as she goes.

Pendrainllwyn

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: CODA

Postby mc2fool » January 1st, 2022, 2:49 pm

Well I gotta say, from the "trailers, teasers and featurettes"* it looks delightful, good music too. ;) And I'm not surprised to see deaf actor, Oscar and Golden Globe winner, Marlee Matlin in a lead role (mother), and apparently the other deaf lead roles (father and brother) were also deaf actors, at Matlin's insistence.**

It seems to only be available on Apple TV right now but I'll make a mental note to look out for it in a couple of years on Freeview. :D

* https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/coda-2021
** https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-01-28/marlee-matlin-coda-sundance-film-festival

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 2nd, 2022, 5:07 am

Thx for that. Brilliant. One of the best movies I have seen in ages. Yes, there were some memorable scenes and one particular absolute laugh out loud moment, plus wonderful sensitivity, direction and acting. First day of the year(albeit the movie has been out for a few months now) and to see such a superb film is promising for the rest of this year. Hope so. I will give this a 10, it's that good as I'm a sucker for coming of age movies, but this one has a message as well.

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Postby Pendrainllwyn » March 19th, 2022, 12:34 am

One of 10 films nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars and someone at the Guardian thinks it should win. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/m ... ture-oscar It has two other nominations. The bookies have it as 2nd or 3rd favourite.

Pendrainllwyn

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 19th, 2022, 1:57 am

Pendrainllwyn wrote:One of 10 films nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars and someone at the Guardian thinks it should win. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/m ... ture-oscar It has two other nominations. The bookies have it as 2nd or 3rd favourite.

Pendrainllwyn

I watched it again last night - this time with the teens
It's brilliant!
But I suspect that it might suffer because of the sound of metal doing so well at the last Oscars; that shouldn't matter but the Oscars are sometimes a bit like that

-sd

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 19th, 2022, 10:01 pm

servodude wrote:

It's brilliant!

We watched it tonight and it was everything I was hoping it would be, and more - a superb film.

The 'Go...' really hit the feels....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 19th, 2022, 10:07 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
servodude wrote:

It's brilliant!

We watched it tonight and it was everything I was hoping it would be, and more - a superb film.

The 'Go...' really hit the feels....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

It seemed to be rather dusty in our room too :)

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”