Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Anne & Four Lives

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Anne & Four Lives

Postby pje16 » January 4th, 2022, 5:58 pm

mc2fool wrote:Hmmm, I wonder what happened to ...

pje16 wrote:Please discuss as much as you like...
I do get fed up with spoiler alerts
I think they should be reserved for cinema showings where someone has been and others haven't
but Come on,,,, if it is on TV everyone has the opportunity to watch and if you haven't can you really expect everyone to "tip-toe" around you in case you hear/read about it
This is another example of the touchy/feely world we seem to live on these days :roll:

viewtopic.php?p=461971#p461971 :lol:

That was referring to what has been on already
do you need everything explained to you
Tonight I will be watching what you spoiled for me
Happy?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 4th, 2022, 6:32 pm

pje16 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Hmmm, I wonder what happened to ...

pje16 wrote:Please discuss as much as you like...
I do get fed up with spoiler alerts
I think they should be reserved for cinema showings where someone has been and others haven't
but Come on,,,, if it is on TV everyone has the opportunity to watch and if you haven't can you really expect everyone to "tip-toe" around you in case you hear/read about it
This is another example of the touchy/feely world we seem to live on these days :roll:

viewtopic.php?p=461971#p461971 :lol:

That was referring to what has been on already
Happy?

It's all already on iPlayer, but nothing that has been said in this thread is a spoiler because none of it is reporting anything that comes from within/watching the programme or of what folks have said from doing so (reviews). My brief description in the OP, "the story of the Stephen Port murders" was (a condensed version of) the public information the Beeb was putting out about the programme before it was broadcast. Indeed, I wonder what even lead you to watch it if you had no idea what it was about.

I mean, do you think I gave the game away by describing Anne as about campaigner Anne Williams, mother of Hillsborough victim 15 year old Kevin? Should I have just said "Anne has Maxine Peake playing a woman called Anne" and that's it?!?

Look, I'm sorry that you feel that your viewing has been spoiled, but if you want to go into watching programmes unawares then you can't really expect everyone to "tip-toe" around you in case you hear/read what they're supposed to be about!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 4th, 2022, 6:44 pm

pje16 wrote:That was referring to what has been on already
Happy?

You seem to be very resistant to accepting that the series isn't a whodunnit. It hasn't been spoiled, nothing in this thread isn't already revealed in the 2-line description of programme and in the trailer.

It's literally the subject matter, not the ending.

Scott.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 4th, 2022, 7:19 pm

Looks like I'm being picked on
I give the f**k up
BBC Iplayer says

"When two young men are found dead in London, the police blame their deaths on overdoses. Their loved ones are unconvinced and try to find out the truth."

If that's not a whodunnit, then please tell me what is

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 4th, 2022, 7:37 pm

For me iPlayer says "The true story of the courageous families of four young gay men who lost their lives to killer Stephen Port."

Scott.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 4th, 2022, 8:08 pm

pje16 wrote:BBC Iplayer says

"When two young men are found dead in London, the police blame their deaths on overdoses. Their loved ones are unconvinced and try to find out the truth."

If that's not a whodunnit, then please tell me what is

That's the description of the first episode. The description of the series, as per the OP link, https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m00134hr/four-lives, says:

"The true story of the courageous families of four young gay men who lost their lives to killer Stephen Port. Facing police failings, they fought for justice for their loved ones."

The second sentence shows commonality with Anne, the Hillsborough campaigner. The first sentence kinda makes it not-a-whodunnit. ;)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 4th, 2022, 8:14 pm

Oh FFS have it your way :roll: :roll: :roll:

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 4th, 2022, 10:32 pm

pje16 wrote:Oh FFS have it your way :roll: :roll: :roll:

Or you could just admit you got the wrong end of the stick, didn't actually read the BBC description of the series and misinterpreted the post that referenced "the Stephen Port murders" and that nobody here posted anything that was a spoiler.

But as you say, have it your way...

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 5th, 2022, 5:44 am

vrdiver wrote:
pje16 wrote:Oh FFS have it your way :roll: :roll: :roll:

Or you could just admit you got the wrong end of the stick, didn't actually read the BBC description of the series and misinterpreted the post that referenced "the Stephen Port murders" and that nobody here posted anything that was a spoiler.

But as you say, have it your way...

Did I not do that
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32758#p470136
shame you can't read the post before sniping :roll:

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 5th, 2022, 1:01 pm

pje16 wrote:
vrdiver wrote:Or you could just admit you got the wrong end of the stick, didn't actually read the BBC description of the series and misinterpreted the post that referenced "the Stephen Port murders" and that nobody here posted anything that was a spoiler.

Did I not do that
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32758#p470136
shame you can't read the post before sniping :roll:

No. What you said was
"Ok I misread it.... but you still gave it away" which I agree acknowledges the "misread", but still fails to recognise that nothing was "given away" or posted as a "spoiler".
I'll stop "sniping". If you haven't got the point by now I don't think it worth pursuing.

VRD

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 5th, 2022, 1:50 pm

ok the spoiler was
"the story of the Stephen Port murders"
If like me you hadn't heard of him you do not know who did the killing when you start to watch the show
so my view was it was not right to state that in the post
It did become quite obvious quite early on who it was, so apologies if I upset you or mc2fool

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 5th, 2022, 2:04 pm

pje16 wrote:ok the spoiler was
"the story of the Stephen Port murders"
If like me you hadn't heard of him you do not know who did the killing when you start to watch the show
so my view was it was not right to state that in the post
It did become quite obvious quite early on who it was, so apologies if I upset you or mc2fool

the Stephen Port murders

Not upset (please - no offence or upset taken or intended), just trying to understand what was the issue.

For the avoidance of doubt, the phrase "the Stephen Port murders" implies multiple murders carried out by Stephen Port. Had the title been "The Stephen Port murder" (no "s" at the end) then I'd understand your issue, but as it stands there really is only one interpretation - that the show was about the murders committed by Stephen Port. It's for that reason that you've had some push-back when complaining about "spoilers".

Anyhow, hope you enjoy the series. Stephen Merchant is (imho) always worth watching!

VRD

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 5th, 2022, 7:40 pm

I hadn't spotted both before but there's two post-series documentaries showing tonight and tomorrow night:

Four Lives follow-up, BBC1, tonight (5-Jan), 10:35pm, How Police Missed the Grindr Killer

"Documentary examining the police investigation into Stephen Port, who murdered four young gay men in east London within 15 months. Stephen Port date-raped and murdered four young gay men in east London within 15 months and dumped all four bodies within a few hundred metres of each other. Yet Barking and Dagenham police failed to link the deaths until weeks after the fourth one.

The film tells the story through eyes of the families of Port's victims, unpicking how the police failed to properly investigate each of the deaths in turn. The police's assumptions that these young gay men had died from self-inflicted overdoses of chemsex drugs allowed Port to continue raping and killing innocent young men.

Some of the victims' families have accused the police of institutional homophobia and asked if officers would have investigated more thoroughly, had four young women turned up dead within such a small radius. The Met Police have referred themselves to the Independent Police Complaints Commission over their handling of the case.
"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04s38l8/how-police-missed-the-grindr-killer

Anne follow-up, ITV, tomorrow (6-Jan), 9pm, The Real Anne: Unfinished Business

"Hillsborough is Britain's worst sporting disaster - 97 men, women, and children died. This documentary tells the remarkable battle of Merseyside mum and campaigner Anne Williams, who lost her son Kevin. For nearly three decades she fought the English establishment to expose the truth of what really happened at Hillsborough, and to try and get justice for the 97. As a companion film to ‘Anne’ the drama, Maxine Peake, who plays her, immerses herself in her story speaking to family, survivors and countless others."
https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week1/real-anne-unfinished-business

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 23rd, 2022, 8:39 pm

For those that watched Four Lives and haven't caught today's news...

"The way Metropolitan Police initially handled the deaths of four men murdered by serial killer Stephen Port is to be reinvestigated by the police watchdog.
:
"Basic failings" in the way the Metropolitan Police handled the four men's deaths were identified at a jury inquest that concluded in December.
:
In 2019 the police watchdog, the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC), decided no officers had a case to answer for misconduct or gross misconduct as a result of the failures to catch the serial killer until after the fourth killing.

Now, the IOPC has said that since new information heard at the inquest had found "material flaws" in its own inquiry, it had decided to re-open its investigation with a new team in place.
"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61909143

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”