Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

The Tourist

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

The Tourist

Postby Hallucigenia » January 4th, 2022, 11:14 am

The Tourist is the BBC's current Sunday 9pm drama, and I've enjoyed bingeing it on iPlayer. It's not a classic, but it's a good solid 8/10 thriller. Sharing the journey of someone with amnesia is a reliable premise - it's a bit of Memento with some Lynch and Tarantino styling, and the odd bit of Aussie humour thrown in.

It's hard to talk about without spoilers (particularly bearing in mind some people will be viewing it through January), it sometimes tries to get a bit philosophical, but keeps the plot moving at a good pace even if the end is..a bit uneven. Jamie Dorman is decent enough as the amnesiac and Ólafur Darri Ólafsson makes a terrific, creepy, baddie. And yes, that is Chloe-Bishop-off-Line-of-Duty (Shalom Brune-Franklin - born in St Albans but moved to Oz when she was 14), who's great in this.

And I enjoyed how you get a real feel of the Outback, from dodgy toilets to wide horizons. Even if the mobile phone reception is more reliable than in the Home Counties, no matter how remote the location...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0b6c8t6
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11847842/

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: The Tourist

Postby servodude » January 4th, 2022, 11:18 am

Hallucigenia wrote:Ólafur Darri Ólafsson makes a terrific
... anything!
He's one of those actors that just holds your attention no matter what he's doing
- he's one of the few on our "reason to watch" list
- didn't realize he was in this, he's not featured in the advertising out this way

-sd

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 4th, 2022, 11:21 am

I'm enjoying it too but not bingeing it

Lets hope this doesn't get ruined the way this one has
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32758
Anne & Four LIves
don't click if you do not wish to know

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » January 4th, 2022, 11:23 am

I've watched the first 3 (of 6) episodes. Need to have the credibility monitor turned off and just enjoyed as an entertaining romp. I also enjoyed those vistas of the interminable flat dry outback.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 4th, 2022, 11:27 am

Hallucigenia wrote:Even if the mobile phone reception is more reliable than in the Home Counties, no matter how remote the location...

Now's not the time... but it probably is (even if weren't 13 years ago when I first needed it and had to resort to PTP UHF for telemetry - back to homestead for ISP backhaul)

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 4th, 2022, 11:37 am

Hallucigenia wrote:The Tourist is the BBC's current Sunday 9pm drama, and I've enjoyed bingeing it on iPlayer. It's not a classic, but it's a good solid 8/10 thriller. Sharing the journey of someone with amnesia is a reliable premise - it's a bit of Memento with some Lynch and Tarantino styling, and the odd bit of Aussie humour thrown in.

It's hard to talk about without spoilers (particularly bearing in mind some people will be viewing it through January), it sometimes tries to get a bit philosophical, but keeps the plot moving at a good pace even if the end is..a bit uneven. Jamie Dorman is decent enough as the amnesiac and Ólafur Darri Ólafsson makes a terrific, creepy, baddie. And yes, that is Chloe-Bishop-off-Line-of-Duty (Shalom Brune-Franklin - born in St Albans but moved to Oz when she was 14), who's great in this.

And I enjoyed how you get a real feel of the Outback, from dodgy toilets to wide horizons. Even if the mobile phone reception is more reliable than in the Home Counties, no matter how remote the location...

I completely agree! It's right up my alley with the Lynch and Tarantino vibe. A lovely nod to Duel at the beginning and then straight into a slice of Memento. The writing is very good thus far (only two episodes in), which shouldn't come as a surprise considering amongst the writers previous output wereThe Missing and Baptiste. A great reminder of the bleak monotony of week driving through the Outback several years ago too, happily without hitting a sandstorm or big red Kangaroo.

All the best, Si

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 4th, 2022, 12:01 pm

Hallucigenia wrote: And yes, that is Chloe-Bishop-off-Line-of-Duty (Shalom Brune-Franklin - born in St Albans but moved to Oz when she was 14), who's great in this.

And also Maisie in Our Girl where she was a very impish Londoner. Turning into quite a compelling attraction to have in any series.

So far, I've only watched the first two (I'll watch as they are broadcast) and I am hooked. Nice to see something that isn't Nordic Noir, but with its own Aussie-Western feel.

Arb.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » January 4th, 2022, 1:29 pm

servodude wrote:
Hallucigenia wrote:Even if the mobile phone reception is more reliable than in the Home Counties, no matter how remote the location...

Now's not the time... but it probably is (even if weren't 13 years ago when I first needed it and had to resort to PTP UHF for telemetry - back to homestead for ISP backhaul)

I don't doubt it's pretty good, wide open spaces are great for propagation - but this has one location in particular where the quality of phone signal grates to the extent of knocking you out of your suspension of disbelief. But it's a plot point, so I won't say any more for the next 4 weeks...

servodude wrote:
Hallucigenia wrote:Ólafur Darri Ólafsson makes a terrific
... anything!
- didn't realize he was in this, he's not featured in the advertising out this way

Well I guess he may well have been stuck in Iceland or somewhere by Covid rules, but I guess it also makes sense to focus the pre-publicity on the amnesiac and not reveal too much of the world around him. Whereas now that two episodes have been broadcast, it's not giving so much away. But yep, he's got a pretty big part, he gets 4th billing in the credits. I guess the writers knew him since he had a part in The Missing. I must admit I'm not sure I'd encountered him before but this role really suits him.

pje16 wrote:I'm enjoying it too but not bingeing it

Lets hope this doesn't get ruined the way this one has

Indeed, my intention was more "if you've started it or were thinking of catching up two episodes, then the rest is worth your time", rather than detailed discussion. It does have the occasional "ick" moment that's a bit unnecessary, so perhaps not one to watch while you're eating, although I suspect the BBC told them they could only have one per episode. And there's a C-word in one of the later episodes if that's a problem for you.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 4th, 2022, 7:27 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:I must admit I'm not sure I'd encountered him before but this role really suits him

Then you're in for a treat when you discover Trapped (Ófærð)
-sd

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » January 4th, 2022, 8:30 pm

servodude wrote:Then you're in for a treat when you discover Trapped (Ófærð)

Hmm - actually thinking about it, I think I did see that, or at least the first series, I had a bit of a Nordic thing back then. Anyway, he's good in the Tourist.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 10th, 2022, 8:41 am

Last night's episode, and I think it getting better - partly becuse I am looking at it differently. It isn't so much a serious crime thingy, but a bit of fun. Some scenes could almost be cut from a comic with speech balloons, and the humour is a chuckle a minute. One has to think of it as just a jolly romp and not worry about all the absurdities.

The Icelandic bloke is a classic example of comic book, but he's really good. I hope the mobsters don't get held up in immigration like Djokovic and spoil the flow :?

I was so taken with it last night, that I nearly gave in to the temptation to rush ahead and watch some more episodes on iplayer.

Arb.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 10th, 2022, 9:27 am

Arborbridge wrote:I was so taken with it last night, that I nearly gave in to the temptation to rush ahead and watch some more episodes on iplayer.

Arb.

I would say go for it! I couldn’t resist and watched the lot in 3 nights. One of the best things I’ve seen on TV for ages, but then I love the dark humour (Coen Bros, Tarantino) which is not everyone’s cuppa.

All the best, Si
Last edited by simoan on January 10th, 2022, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 10th, 2022, 9:33 am

I am enjoying it too
It does seem to be getting better as it goes along
Not the hint of a spoiler from @simoan
Nice one
Last edited by pje16 on January 10th, 2022, 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 10th, 2022, 9:35 am

pje16 wrote:I am enjoying it too
It does seem to be geeting better as it goes along
Nice one

No spoiler from me. I particularly enjoyed the penultimate episode. Big nod to Pulp fiction in the last episode too! Si

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 10th, 2022, 9:38 am

simoan wrote:
Nice one

No spoiler from me. I particularly enjoyed the penultimate episode. Si

Now that has tempted me to binge it :lol:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 10th, 2022, 9:48 am

pje16 wrote:
simoan wrote:
Nice one

No spoiler from me. I particularly enjoyed the penultimate episode. Si

Now that has tempted me to binge it :lol:

Clse run thing, whether to binge or not. I like "delayed gratification" :lol: What would I look forward to as a Sunday routine? An eight mile walk, a bath, decent meal - then chocolate, Call the Midwife and Tourist. A sad small horizon, but I'm happy.

There's a more practical issue too, I like watching with sub titles these days, and on the Roku, although there is a facility for them, they hardly ever are broadcast through Roku, I find.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 10th, 2022, 10:07 am

One thing - when watching it with the iPlayer "app" on my 4K smart TV, it says it's in Ultra-HD. So presumably a bit better than as broadcast.

Scott.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » January 10th, 2022, 10:44 am

I did find the final episode could have comfortably finished at various points in the plot, but instead it sort of meandered on.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 10th, 2022, 10:46 am

bluedonkey wrote:I did find the final episode could have comfortably finished at various points in the plot, but instead it sort of meandered on.

Close to being a spoiler
There are lots of us who haven't binged it....

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 10th, 2022, 12:06 pm

bluedonkey wrote:I did find the final episode could have comfortably finished at various points in the plot, but instead it sort of meandered on.

In a laid back Aussie sort of way 8-)

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”