Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Being the Ricardos

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Being the Ricardos

Postby zico » January 5th, 2022, 7:33 pm

7/10. Entertaining 50's drama starring Nicole Kidman and Javier Barddem as the Ricardos in question (Lucille Ball + her Cuban-born husband).
It's all about a week in the making of an "I Love Lucy" episode during which Lucille Ball is potentially being outed as a communist.

Sounds very unpromising fare, but this film has something rarer than hen's teeth these days - great dialogue.
Lots of laugh-out-loud moments from the dialogue, and plenty of character interplay and interest going on, against the hypocritical morality of 1950's America.

The main problem is Nicole Kidman. She's playing Lucille Ball (a brilliant comedian) and Nicole, bless her little cotton socks, doesn't have a funny bone in her body. Her character is interesting, but there's no hint that she's funny. She has one line where she says "you'll know when I'm being funny" but that never actually happens in the rest of the film.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Being the Ricardos

Postby servodude » January 5th, 2022, 11:19 pm

zico wrote:The main problem is Nicole Kidman.

I can't understand how she gets work?

Given she's, apparently, in the upper tier of famous folk (and not just a mediocre talent that was once married to a cultist) she's often portrayed as a "featuring" cast member
- but I can't think of anything I've seen her in for years where the role would not have been better played by almost anyone else
- she nearly ruined Paddington!

I think it's the weird "look at me I'm acting" eyes that dart about when she's been told to "act"

- sd

TonyB

Postby TonyB » January 10th, 2022, 9:30 am

I see Nicole won the Golden Globe for best actress. Clearly the luvvies disagree with you :o

TonyB

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 10th, 2022, 9:58 am

TonyB wrote:I see Nicole won the Golden Globe for best actress. Clearly the luvvies disagree with you :o

TonyB

It's a strange one innit?
I will never understand what they see beyond a scrawny overacting clothes horse with mad eyes
- but there's no doubting she collects the trophies
- mad

-sd

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 13th, 2022, 3:24 pm

True, I haven't seen her in years, but when I did, it was most impressive . So, I don't really know what you are objecting to!
Perhaps I will find out when I see this film...

Servotude and I usually agree, but what has scrawny got to do with acting ability? All that tells me is you like women who are not scrawny.

Arb.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”