Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Top Gun: Maverick trailer

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Top Gun: Maverick trailer

Postby Itsallaguess » April 1st, 2022, 3:11 pm

I was a teenager when the original Top Gun came out all the way back in 1986, and the new Top Gun : Maverick trailer certainly brings it all flooding back -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giXco2jaZ_4

Some of those in-flight shots (make sure to put the above trailer onto 1080p...), filmed on multiple 6K IMAX cameras, look absolutely stunning, and I think this is one for the big screen when it comes out in the UK at the end of May.

As an aside, I'm not the biggest Tom Cruise fan, but he's not looking too bad considering the 36 years between the two films, is he...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Top Gun: Maverick trailer

Postby swill453 » April 1st, 2022, 3:42 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:As an aside, I'm not the biggest Tom Cruise fan, but he's not looking too bad considering the 36 years between the two films, is he...

Not quite, given that it was filmed mostly in 2018 and 2019... :D

Scott.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 1st, 2022, 3:56 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Some of those in-flight shots (make sure to put the above trailer onto 1080p...), filmed on multiple 6K IMAX cameras...

Ummm... all CGI surely.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 1st, 2022, 4:07 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Some of those in-flight shots (make sure to put the above trailer onto 1080p...), filmed on multiple 6K IMAX cameras...

Ummm... all CGI surely.

Have a read -

The makers of “Top Gun: Maverick” have released a new video showing how all of the amazing flying footage was taken.

What's amazing is that in this age of computer-generated special effects, nearly all of the airplane flying in the upcoming sequel is real — except for one scene.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a30272727/top-gun-maverick-behind-the-scenes/

I think it was one of Cruise's rules for getting engaged with the sequel in the first place, that it couldn't be a CGI-fest...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 1st, 2022, 4:18 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Some of those in-flight shots (make sure to put the above trailer onto 1080p...), filmed on multiple 6K IMAX cameras...

Ummm... all CGI surely.

Have a read -

The makers of “Top Gun: Maverick” have released a new video showing how all of the amazing flying footage was taken.

What's amazing is that in this age of computer-generated special effects, nearly all of the airplane flying in the upcoming sequel is real — except for one scene.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a30272727/top-gun-maverick-behind-the-scenes/

I think it was one of Cruise's rules for getting engaged with the sequel in the first place, that it couldn't be a CGI-fest...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Errr... the "one scene" they identify is "One scene that appears to have been filmed and then altered with CGI is the shovel-nosed SR-71-like aircraft Tom Cruise flies in the second trailer. In the Paramount video, it’s clear the scene is shot with a Super Hornet flying low over the camera crew. This was apparently changed in production to a mysterious, high speed airplane. "

So the scene with a plane being blown out of the sky (at 2:00 in the trailer) is not CGI but real, eh? :roll:

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 1st, 2022, 5:11 pm

mc2fool wrote:
So the scene with a plane being blown out of the sky (at 2:00 in the trailer) is not CGI but real, eh? :roll:

You said 'all CGI'

I didn't say there was no CGI, but I think it's clear from the many film-related articles that the vast majority of in-flight footage is both real and tremendously well shot, and in fact reading what Miles Teller has to say below, he's suggesting that it all is -

Still, given the high-flying, jet engine-fueled action Maverick promises, it’s expected to be a blockbuster worthy of the big screen.

That sentiment is supported by co-star Miles Teller, who recently detailed the insanely intense preparations he went through to get flight ready while assuring fans that the aerial dog fights to come are 100% authentic.

“There is no green screen in a Top Gun movie,” Teller, who plays Goose’s son Bradley ‘Rooster’ Bradshaw, recently told Men’s Journal. “Every shot, every stunt, was the result of the work, the real sweat, that we all put into it. The production was over the course of a full year, which was definitely the longest shoot I have ever been a part of.”

Before Teller even stepped on set, he was grinding just to be able to receive approval to get into the air. It turns out that accurately portraying a fighter pilot requires an immense amount of work beyond just acting.

“I had about three months of flight training before starting the movie. That time was important to get comfortable with the crafts but also to build up our G-force tolerance, because all of the aerial elements were shot practically."

https://observer.com/2020/12/top-gun-maverick-miles-teller-green-screen-stunts-training-info-details/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 1st, 2022, 6:45 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
mc2fool wrote:So the scene with a plane being blown out of the sky (at 2:00 in the trailer) is not CGI but real, eh? :roll:

You said 'all CGI'

I didn't say there was no CGI, but I think it's clear from the many film-related articles that the vast majority of in-flight footage is both real and tremendously well shot...

Firstly, sorry, I didn't mean my comment to sound as sarky as it reads on rereading it, and secondly, I wasn't so much commenting on your point but on the claim of that article that all of the flying is real except for one scene, and that one scene they identify isn't one of the (In fact, two) scenes in the trailer where a plane gets blown out of the sky! (and you see the plane breaking up on its way down!)

I expect there are other such scenes in the film and I'm sure you'll agree that those are extremely unlikely to be real. ;)

Indeed, while a lot of the "flying" might be real what you see on the screen is another matter. Less explosively, take the scene in the trailer where he flies through the arch of a viaduct. Oh, I'm sure some hot shot pilot could do it, but I'll be surprised if the bean counters in the US Navy allowed it, let alone the commander responsible for the pilots life. So, yeah, a real filming of the plane swooping along and flipping on its side ... in clear blue sky with the viaduct and landscape added by CGI in post production. :D

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”