Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The Ipcress File

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

The Ipcress File

Postby terminal7 » April 10th, 2022, 5:54 pm

Some of the Fools are probably old enough (assuming they still can remember) to having seen Michael Caine in the Ipcress File at the Top Rank back in the swinging sixties - based on the best selling novel by Len Deighton. Indeed, some of the more compos mentis will remember Sue Lloyd - heavy sigh. Well, there is a superb new version showing on ITV - 6 episodes. A wonderful pastiche with 60s acting, music and filming.

T7

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Ipcress File

Postby Gerry557 » April 11th, 2022, 7:27 am

I've not seen the older or original version but might give it a go.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 11th, 2022, 8:55 am

terminal7 wrote:Some of the Fools are probably old enough (assuming they still can remember) to having seen Michael Caine in the Ipcress File at the Top Rank back in the swinging sixties - based on the best selling novel by Len Deighton.
T7

Not many people know that. :D

John

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 11th, 2022, 9:16 am

I thought the new series was going to be a remake of the 1960's film, but it turned out to have a somewhat different plot, though most of the key characters were the same, along with the brainwashing. I thought the two lead characters were good and interacted well.

I noted many cars of the period.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 11th, 2022, 9:29 am

It was enjoyable, although the camera being tilted at an angle did become tiresome after a while.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 11th, 2022, 9:39 am

I was in minus numbers when the film was released (only just) but love the book and film.
I'm a big Deighton fan - particularly the Bernard Samson 'triple trilogy plus one' and collect the first editions.
Sadly I've only got the US First of The Ipcress File (Simon and Schuster), the UK First has always been a bit pricy for me

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 11th, 2022, 10:01 am

One of my failures, I am sorry to say. Maybe I wasn't in the mood, but I watched only part of the first episode before giving up. Couldn't empathise or find anything which caught my interest and convince me to carry on.

Rather than invest more time in what looked like a dead duck, I decided to wait for something else to come along.

This is probably my failing rather than that of the program!

Arb.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 11th, 2022, 10:07 am

Arborbridge wrote:One of my failures, I am sorry to say. Maybe I wasn't in the mood, but I watched only part of the first episode before giving up. Couldn't empathise or find anything which caught my interest and convince me to carry on.

Rather than invest more time in what looked like a dead duck, I decided to wait for something else to come along.

Arb.

Dead parrot I could accept - but not a dead duck.

T7

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » April 11th, 2022, 10:15 am

Arborbridge wrote:One of my failures, I am sorry to say. Maybe I wasn't in the mood, but I watched only part of the first episode before giving up. Couldn't empathise or find anything which caught my interest and convince me to carry on.

Arb.

Are you still waiting or did you find something. I recommend Homeland 2011, a bit more up to date but still spy ish. I found this above average and after starting, wanted to finish. I think there are long waits between excellent TV shows and await the next one.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 11th, 2022, 11:23 am

I'm on Episode 5. Fairly enjoyable, but I look at the screen and instead of seeing "Harry Palmer", I see "Eric Morecombe". I was also put off by the extra wide glasses which seem to have a touch of designer blue frames?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 11th, 2022, 11:39 am

Gerry557 wrote:

Arb.

Are you still waiting or did you find something. I recommend Homeland 2011, a bit more up to date but still spy ish. I found this above average and after starting, wanted to finish. I think there are long waits between excellent TV shows and await the next one.

Nothing big at the moment. Following Killing Eve and watched a couple of "Hiddens" (not sure about continuing: I missed the flow as I was away for a couple of eps). Maybe I am getting saturated with these crime things: I just see boxes being ticked nowadays rther than originality. Mostly downhill since The Killing and The Bridge or Line of D.

Gentleman Jack looks OK for a Sunday night.

Always fall back on my Buffys or a hired film plus a few useful infills by way of Dragon's Den, history stuff.

Arb.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 11th, 2022, 11:48 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:

Arb.

Nothing big at the moment. Following Killing Eve and watched a couple of "Hiddens" (not sure about continuing: I missed the flow as I was away for a couple of eps). Maybe I am getting saturated with these crime things: I just see boxes being ticked nowadays rther than originality. Mostly downhill since The Killing and The Bridge or Line of D.

Always fall back on my Buffys or a hired film plus a few useful infills by way of Dragon's Den, history stuff.

Arb.

Watched "the chestnut man" on Netflix for a quick Scandi fix recently; recommend it
- it's not Buffy.. but few things are

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 11th, 2022, 12:09 pm

servodude wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:

Arb.

Arb.

Watched "the chestnut man" on Netflix for a quick Scandi fix recently; recommend it
- it's not Buffy.. but few things are

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I'm not Netflix or any paid channel.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » April 11th, 2022, 6:19 pm

Nothing really matches One Foot in the Grave

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 11th, 2022, 7:52 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Unfortunately, or fortunately, I'm not Netflix or any paid channel.

I've been makign time for this free selection

My5
Yellowstone - modern day western family drama about a rancher, Indian reservation and politics with a bit violence and repressed family history.
Hannibal - before he started eating people when Dr Lecter was just a shrink.
Crossing Lines international detectives - the lines crossed are borders in Europe. S1 and 2 ok 3 not so much.

All4
Hill Street Blues - as good as I remembered about 7 seasons. US cops
Charmed - low rent Buffy with witches.
This way up - Aisline Bea comedy vehicle, She's recovering from a nervous breakdon, hilarity ensues with scrapes and shenanigans.
No Offence - police procedural comedy. Dark and hilarious.

Iplayer
Cardinal - if you like Scandi noir here's Canuk noir, brooding, cold, snow murder, detective, Canada.
Man Like Mobeen - took a while for me to catch up with this one, written and staring Guz Khan with Tez Ilyas both I first came to enjoy as Taskmaster guests.

UKTV play
Taskmaster Comedians being given silly things to do by Greg Davis.
The last Detective - "Dangerous" Davies always gets the cases no one else wants, and no one notices when he eventually succeeds.
and they also offer One foot in the Grave.

Ipcress File I gave it about 10-15 minutes over the weekend and got interrupted and sidetracked, can't say it grabbed me but I'll restart for a more considered opinion.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » April 11th, 2022, 11:26 pm

I have it on the Humax ready to watch. The one thing that could detract from the original would be the soundtrack. I don't know if it features the original music but nothing can match the great John Barry.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 12th, 2022, 11:49 am

Dutifully watched the Ipcress File and found the acting, which was intended to appear cool I think, wooden. Joe Cole simply not believable in the lead role while Lucy Boynton seemed determined to avoid the onset of wrinkles by never changing her facial expression.

A miss for me I'm afraid.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » April 23rd, 2022, 11:24 pm

Halfway through this now. Not a bad plot but there's something about the picture quality that's putting me off. In an attempt to look 'period' (early 60's) the filming makes it look artificial, especially the close up shots. Everything looks like it's filmed in front of green screen. The foreground shots don't match the backgrounds. Probably a bit too much CGI at work.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”