Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Sherwood

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sherwood

Postby Gerry557 » July 9th, 2022, 12:32 pm

XFool wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:Watched the last episode last night. I hadn't planned on watching this but reading positive comments I looked it up and thought I would give it a go.

I wasnt sure it it was going to be BBC wokery or some sort of political bias thing. Still having some connections to the minors strike, the 80s etc I thought I would give it a go with the missus alongside.

Strangely not much 80s music in the 80s but maybe the BBC cant afford the royalties now people are stopping paying for the licence fee and spending on Netflix, which by the way is responsible for 80s music getting to No1 in the charts again (Kate Bush running up that hill, Stranger things!)

This was Fiction but based on some real events, one of which the victims family were upset about.

I remember families falling out about the strikes so that bit was covered well. The wokery was limited but it seemed to be against the police quite a bit. Was this done for effect or bias Im not too sure. I do remember that the pickets were violent at the time and I suppose things just kept escalating on both sides and not everyone happy about miners being bussed in from other areas. I would not have liked being a policeman in the middle of all that lot. It strange how a few decades later the left want all the mines closed now. I do remember one pit having a fire and the minors were asked to help put it out but refused. Even when it was pointed out that if they didnt there would be not jobs to got back too and the cutting off your nose to spit your face attitude. I think 2 of the 3 faces were eventually closed permanently with the resulting loss of jobs.

I wonder if we are heading back to something similar right now, strikes and pay demands abound and everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon.

I found the rest of the program just OK but the missus rated it a bit more. I think they were trying to bestow some sort of reconsolidation message and maybe highlight the negative side of the divisions.

I cant see me ever re watching this. it kept my attention mainly and the plot holes were not too bad, there were some silly bits like all those police stood in the open field so spread out which dragged me out of the story occasionally.

Would I watch season 2? Well I cant say im looking forward to it but I might see how some of the reviews go first before deciding. I may or may not have a license when it come out.

I find your comments here really quite irritating. This was a TV drama written by someone who has personal experience of the after effects of the 1980s miner's strike. The initial idea came from the death of someone known to the author.

Do we really need to hear your opinion of a TV drama laced with your latter-day, pseudo McCarthy, intellectual outlook? "Woke" this, "Bias" that. :roll:

It was a drama produced and shown on BBC Television. Get over it!

Im sorry Xfool, that expressing my own opinion on a forum called "Music, Theatre, TV and Film TV" under the title "Sherwood" about the TV program called Sherwood has caused you so much erk that you had to respond so negatively and be so personal about it. Like many, including the writer, we have our own memories of that era. Obviously knowing one of those killed didn't stop him from upsetting the victims family.

Why do the terms Bias and woke "trigger" you so much? You could have just expressed your differing opinion on a TV program if you wished without the personal attack. I dont think my terms have been solely used and seem to be fairly common these days by many commentators. You are free to disagree. The BBC were only recently called out asking for ministers to resign and better if its live on air. To me that seems wrong, they seem to be trying to make the news, not just report it. Is that bias or just an issue around 24H news programs?

Hopefully you watched it and found the reconciliation message or am I to be forever your scab!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 9th, 2022, 12:40 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Hopefully you watched it and found the reconciliation message or am I to be forever your scab!

It seems to me there is a place for politics on TLF - I believe it is the Current Affairs & News board. You can express your opinions of the BBC on there. This is the Music, Theatre, TV and Film board.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 11th, 2022, 9:31 am

Is that Xfools version of "its my ball and Im taking it home"

Not done with telling me what to think, now you are trying to tell me where to think it.

I think we just have differing opinions and Im happy to leave it there and say no more as you are just taking this so off topic and in a different tangent.

Im sure you will want to say something more though.

Hopefully it will be about the TV series and not me

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 13th, 2022, 12:28 pm

TahiPanasDua wrote:The series was brilliant and seemed realistic enough to bring me back to the Scottish mining villages I lived in until I went to university. As "recently" as the 2010s, I heard stories from relatives of still being shunned as "scabs". The strike had a deeply traumatic and very long lasting effect on the community.

There is still some residual bad feeling but presumably it is fading as the strike participants die off. Even after 40 years

I lived in Notts until 2011. Several of the ex-mining towns surrounding Nottingham still had NUM pubs and UDM pubs where the “other side” were not welcome at all! Although thankfully, most of the younger generation had no affiliation. Though there were still a few youngsters, even then, who carried it on as a generational struggle.

Gryff

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”