Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Glastonbury 2022

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Mike88
Lemon Slice

Re: Glastonbury 2022

Postby Mike88 » June 26th, 2022, 5:49 pm

pje16 wrote:
Mike88 wrote:I did try later to hear Paul McCartney. His singing was a bit off but the rest of it :evil: was OK but didn't prevent me from switching off the TV after a few songs. Glastonbury is now firmly off my bucket list.

I saw Macca on TV and thought he was brilliant

He is one of the most talanted songwriters to be born.

That I agree with

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 26th, 2022, 6:54 pm

Currently watching Diana Ross. She's out of tune.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 26th, 2022, 7:26 pm

Snorvey wrote:
Mike88 wrote:Currently watching Diana Ross. She's out of tune.

Try adjusting your volume.

I think the problem is that she can't hear the band so her first two songs were sung in a different key to the musicians. That happens when you play on a large stage so singers usually wear earpieces. However, I couldn't stand it any more so switched off.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 26th, 2022, 8:44 pm

Never rated D Ross. My favourite Supremes song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzQOvcw ... PREMEscene after Ms Ross left.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 26th, 2022, 8:49 pm

Mike88 wrote:
Snorvey wrote:

Try adjusting your volume.

I think the problem is that she can't hear the band so her first two songs were sung in a different key to the musicians. That happens when you play on a large stage so singers usually wear earpieces. However, I couldn't stand it any more so switched off.

She's 103 ffs, deaf as a post.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 26th, 2022, 9:04 pm

I thought she sang all the right notes, though not necessarily in the right order

--kiloran

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 26th, 2022, 9:10 pm

kiloran wrote:I thought she sang all the right notes, though not necessarily in the right order

--kiloran

How Wise (wrong one.... I know) :lol:

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 26th, 2022, 9:17 pm

I haven't seen that much but what I've seen includes Billy Eilish, Elbow and some others and I'm sad to say it all sounds so tame. The melodies are so repetetive and weak. Maybe I've missed the best bits, I'll ensure I catch the highlights, or maybe I'm just an old fart who still thinks the Who, the Stones and other fossils could still kick their [expletive deleted].

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 26th, 2022, 9:51 pm

Leothebear wrote:I haven't seen that much but what I've seen includes Billy Eilish, Elbow and some others and I'm sad to say it all sounds so tame. The melodies are so repetetive and weak. Maybe I've missed the best bits, I'll ensure I catch the highlights, or maybe I'm just an old fart who still thinks the Who, the Stones and other fossils could still kick their [expletive deleted].

Another old fart here. Modern songs seem to consist of strumming and generating a rhythm, with a driving drum beat, but not very much real musicianship that we had in the 60's to 80's. I'm sure there are exceptions but I can't be bothered to find them, so I tend to stick with my Jefferson Airplane, Doors, BB King, John Lee Hooker and the Floyd

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 26th, 2022, 10:07 pm

kiloran wrote:
Leothebear wrote:
I haven't seen that much but what I've seen includes Billy Eilish, Elbow and some others and I'm sad to say it all sounds so tame. The melodies are so repetitive and weak.

Maybe I've missed the best bits, I'll ensure I catch the highlights, or maybe I'm just an old fart who still thinks the Who, the Stones and other fossils could still kick their [expletive deleted].

Another old fart here. Modern songs seem to consist of strumming and generating a rhythm, with a driving drum beat, but not very much real musicianship that we had in the 60's to 80's.

I'm sure there are exceptions but I can't be bothered to find them, so I tend to stick with my Jefferson Airplane, Doors, BB King, John Lee Hooker and the Floyd

Hey, I think the 90's want a quiet word...

After that though - yeah, totally agree...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » June 26th, 2022, 10:09 pm

There seems to be a recurring theme on this thread "I've listen to a couple of songs and didn't like them - ergo it's all crap".

I find that there is some really excellent music being broadcast there is also some dross - the joy of this is that we will all disagree on what is dross and what is excellent. The purpose of this thread is/was to share that experience and to try and introduce new music to others.

You may be getting older but if your mind and world is getting smaller then consider that this might be a good time to try and expand it.
If your happy with your merge existence please go and piss on some other thread. I'm sure there are some soul destroying Brexit threads that need your invaluable input.

Truly depressed by this, I started this thread to try and share some joy in life, only to have it pissed on by the joyless.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 26th, 2022, 10:12 pm

WTF is Neil Tennant wearing
(on BBC4 now)

edit = typical he's just taken it off :roll:

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » June 26th, 2022, 10:18 pm

pje16 wrote:WTF is Neil Tennant wearing
(on BBC4 now)

I thought it was tuning fork -

And why is there a singular Petshop Boy, have they had a split ?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 26th, 2022, 10:55 pm

PhaseThree wrote:
(on BBC4 now)

not sure why Neil started on his own
Chris is on stage now

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 27th, 2022, 6:17 am

PhaseThree wrote:
Truly depressed by this, I started this thread to try and share some joy in life, only to have it pissed on by the joyless.

Well there was lots that I enjoyed, and I mentioned Supergrass in an earlier post as being an early highlight for me, but on your particular point above, I think it's worth mentioning that there's been a growing element of that type of thing in Glastonbury itself, which seems to have become much more prevalent in recent years, where there's barely a set goes by without the music being put well aside for a time whilst political views are forcefully expressed in front of an audience that, like you and me, often turned up and tuned in to experience musical joy, and not a regular streams of political and social-justice rants to a captive audience...

Not that I'm saying that I disagree with all of them, but given the rise in the use of the Glastonbury stages for these much more common joy-removal periods, then I thought it was worth mentioning in the context of your view above...

For those that perhaps didn't enjoy it this year as much as they'd hoped, I think it's fairly clear that there's an expected and direct relationship between age and the ability to simply 'dip into' the Glasto coverage and reliably expect to 'automatically enjoy it', which is of course a quite natural consequence of getting older I think, and not something we should perhaps beat ourselves or Glasto up about in all honesty, but one simple tip I'd always recommend to help counter that process is to make sure you get access to a GOOD stage and set-list early on before things really kick off, similar to the one linked below for this year, and have a good look through to help pre-filter some opportune times to engage with the festival, as well as perhaps allowing yourself to sample some of of the less familiar options as well -

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2022/

I'll try to remember to post next year's line-up in the above format earlier on next year, so we can perhaps collectively do a bit of forward-recommendation, rather than having to rely on discussions either much nearer or even after some performers have been on, so I hope that alone might improve the chances of achieving the joy-seeking ratio that you've originally set out to find this year...

Finally, and for those that perhaps missed it first time around, the nearly 3-hour Paul McCartney set from Saturday night is at last now available on iPlayer (it wasn't until late on Sunday night...), but for info it only looks to be available for only another 28 days, so the window to catch it in it's entirety is really quite small if you've not managed to already...

Paul McCartney set (Glastonbury 2022) -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0018sfr

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 27th, 2022, 8:55 am

For those who doubted my assessment that Diana Ross sang out of tune:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/tv/ ... d-24328641

This is not the only article criticising her performance. It was truly shocking.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 27th, 2022, 9:11 am

Itsallaguess wrote:there's been a growing element of that type of thing in Glastonbury itself, which seems to have become much more prevalent in recent years, where there's barely a set goes by without the music being put well aside for a time whilst political views are forcefully expressed in front of an audience that, like you and me, often turned up and tuned in to experience musical joy, and not a regular streams of political and social-justice rants to a captive audience...

Yes, that trend was prevalent even before Corbyn showed up a few years ago on his ego trip. You feel like you have to cross a picket line to listen to music. Puts me right off the entire event (but then I only ever went once).

Mike88 wrote:For those who doubted my assessment that Diana Ross sang out of tune:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/tv/ ... d-24328641

This is not the only article criticising her performance. It was truly shocking.

Yes, I did not get around to watching any acts until last night when I switched on for Diana. And then switched off on the second song because her voice was so bad and it was ruining the good memories I have of her.

Still, nice outfit. :D

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 27th, 2022, 9:30 am

pje16 wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:
(on BBC4 now)

not sure why Neil started on his own
Chris is on stage now

Neil said they'd had technical problems at the start, though apart from him being alone on stage, I couldn't detect anything.

Could anyone else?

And the guys in hard hats moving the lamp posts a couple of times seemed a bit wierd. Part of the act, or part of the gremlins?

RockRabbit
Lemon Slice

Postby RockRabbit » June 27th, 2022, 11:17 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Finally, and for those that perhaps missed it first time around, the nearly 3-hour Paul McCartney set from Saturday night is at last now available on iPlayer (it wasn't until late on Sunday night...), but for info it only looks to be available for only another 28 days, so the window to catch it in it's entirety is really quite small if you've not managed to already...

Paul McCartney set (Glastonbury 2022) -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0018sfr

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I think its worth saying again that McCartney's performance was (IMHO) a great festival performance. I'm not particularly into the Beatles/Wings etc, his voice is weak and there appeared to be a number of technical issues. But the joy he, his band and guests displayed, the chatting with the audience together with the build up to the show's climax was fantastic. His stage presence/charism at 80 is simply unreal. The last hour is so good I've watched it twice already and will watch again before it drops off iplayer.

In contrast I found Noel Gallagher and HFBs a bit depressing. No visible pleasure by Gallagher or any band members on stage, just a lot of 'attitude'. OK, I guess that's their trademark but it feels really dated to me.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 27th, 2022, 11:57 am

Snorvey wrote:Macca sounds a lot better on the I Player download. I dont know why.

I have just spent the morning watching/listening to Macca and after a slow start, I thought it was wonderful. The guy is 80, quite incredible, and Bruce Springsteen put in an appearance as well.

Reminded me a bit of Dylan's 30th Anniversary Celebration.

Dod

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”