Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Elvis

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Elvis

Postby Clitheroekid » July 17th, 2022, 8:35 pm

This was another film that I had to be persuaded to go and see, but which I thoroughly enjoyed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Grj4hDEYVg

I was never a massive Elvis fan, but I quite liked some of his music, and Austin Butler, the actor who plays him (and who I must admit I'd never heard of) does a brilliant job. Even more remarkable, he actually sung the songs and played the guitar himself, and did it so well that I never noticed it wasn't the original.

There's been quite a lot of criticism that Tom Hanks (one of my favourite actors) overdid the Colonel Tom Parker character, but overall I enjoyed his acting. Yes, he was slightly a pantomime villain, but the film was a typical Baz Luhrmann film anyway, so one expects things to be a bit OTT. But Elvis himself isn't just played as a caricature, and Butler makes him an interesting and quite complex character.

It's a long film - nearly 2½ hours - but it never dragged at all, and for people of my era (which seems to be about 90% of the LF population!) it's a great night out (particularly when washed down with a bottle of vino, courtesy of my ever-wonderful local Everyman :) )

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Elvis

Postby monabri » July 17th, 2022, 8:41 pm

Elvis, wine, Tom Hanks...there's worse ways to spend an evening!

uhh-uhh!

;)

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Elvis

Postby servodude » July 18th, 2022, 2:34 am

Enjoyed it far more than I expected to (not generally a fan of Baz Luhrmann but he was a good choice to direct this)

It seemed to have a really good attention to detail (having recently been at the Elvis: Direct from Graceland exhibition)

I do think Tom Hanks was a bit more cartoony than I would have liked; at times reminding me of Ernest Borgnine's Penguin.
But that's a minor point in an otherwise stunning film.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”