Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Newsreader

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
XFool
The full Lemon

The Newsreader

Postby XFool » August 7th, 2022, 10:40 pm

Last episode broadcast tonight on BBC2. The ambitions, clashes, double dealing, dramas, hypocrisy, strains, power plays and political maneuvering in an Australian TV Newsroom in 1986. Against a background of the 'Dingo Case', AIDS, Chernobyl etc. In some ways it brought to mind one of my favourites, the very entertaining The Larry Sanders Show

I found this very engaging and great fun. Anyone else see it?

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Newsreader

Postby nimnarb » August 8th, 2022, 12:22 am

Yes, started slow but got better with each episode. I saw it a few weeks back. How many episodes were there? Only seem to recall about 6?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 8th, 2022, 8:44 am

yep there are 6
I enjoyed too
kept up a good pace and was interesting as well

dubre
2 Lemon pips

Postby dubre » August 11th, 2022, 10:31 am

yes we enjoyed it immensely and it had a very satisfying ending we thought!

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » August 15th, 2022, 1:25 pm

Just finished watching it. Enjoyed it very much as did my OH.

SPOILER

The relationship between Noelene and the footy guy was sweet. Also quite a few plot lines that didn't quite get resolved (the guy with the dicky heart; gay in/out the closet; who becomes the permanent co-newsreader), so I suspect the writers kept open the possibility for a 2nd series.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 15th, 2022, 1:57 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Also quite a few plot lines that didn't quite get resolved (the guy with the dicky heart; gay in/out the closet; who becomes the permanent co-newsreader), so I suspect the writers kept open the possibility for a 2nd series.

ABC confirms Season 2 of The Newsreader
"It's 1987 and there are some big world events we'll be covering," says ABC drama boss Sally Riley.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2022/03/screen-forever-2022-abc-confirms-season-2-of-the-newsreader.html

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 15th, 2022, 2:07 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Just finished watching it. Enjoyed it very much as did my OH.

The relationship between Noelene and the footy guy was sweet.

I agree with that, it felt convincing.

bluedonkey wrote:Also quite a few plot lines that didn't quite get resolved (the guy with the dicky heart; gay in/out the closet; who becomes the permanent co-newsreader), so I suspect the writers kept open the possibility for a 2nd series.

SPOILER

"the guy with the dicky heart;" - Surely that was resolved? Behind the scenes his wife managed to fenagle a very good payoff deal for him. He didn't really know about that, resented his layoff despite the good deal and, in the closing scenes, was shown taking his revenge by selling his "Behind the scenes - Tell all" inside story to a newspaper or rival network.

"gay in/out the closet; who becomes the permanent co-newsreader" - He did! That was the closing scene. (The "footy guy" gave it up - he just wanted to do footy.) I confess I can't quite remember how the personal relationship was resolved (was it?).

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » August 15th, 2022, 2:18 pm

SPOILER

Dicky heart: yes but we were told he was potentially about to die if he didn't rest for months. Now he's going on the warpath. Will it be to the beat of his failing heart?

Closet: he came out to two people rather than to his workplace - could his public accept him in 1980s Oz?

Anyway, let's see what S2 brings!

OT/BTW, Ann Torv was also in Mindhunter on Netflix with some sexuality related plot line. Great series.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » September 3rd, 2022, 4:58 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed this series and agree with other fools - very satisfying ending. Look forward to Series 2.

For those who watched Night Sky interesting to see Chai Hansen (Tim) again as Jude.

T7

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 11th, 2023, 3:44 pm

Brilliant! Second series now on BBC2.

It occurred to me after seeing the latest episode that it reminds me of another favourite of mine, from the 1990s. The US TV series The Larry Sanders Show

I wonder if there was any inspiration from that very well regarded TV series?

Just looked at the OP here. :lol:

XFool wrote:Last episode broadcast tonight on BBC2. The ambitions, clashes, double dealing, dramas, hypocrisy, strains, power plays and political maneuvering in an Australian TV Newsroom in 1986. Against a background of the 'Dingo Case', AIDS, Chernobyl etc. In some ways it brought to mind one of my favourites, the very entertaining The Larry Sanders Show

I found this very engaging and great fun. Anyone else see it?

"the guy with the dicky heart" - is now leading newsman for a rival channel and putting the knife in to his ex channel, given the opportunity.

"gay in/out the closet; who becomes the permanent co-newsreader" - is in a relationship with his female co-presenter but was propositioned (or was he?) by the new comedian/assistant presenter guy foisted on them by the channel's owner.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”