Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Killers of the Flower Moon

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
forgotusername
Lemon Pip

Killers of the Flower Moon

Postby forgotusername » October 20th, 2023, 10:30 am

Watched a preview last night at my local Everyman. The first thing to say is it is a looooooooong film. Three and a half hours to be precise. Scorsesi seems to be fond of long films which occasionally justify the length e.g. Wolf of Wall Street and others that don't, e.g The Irishman. Unfortunately last night's viewing didn't.
It's a good story with some superb character acting but there are scenes which drag on and others that add nothing much. Overall, It's worth seeing because it tells a remarkable tale but it could have been so much more punchy if an hour had been edited out.

It might help too if you speak Osage for those bits where he chose not to use subtitles and leave you in the dark as to what is being said.

DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

Re: Killers of the Flower Moon

Postby DelianLeague » October 23rd, 2023, 9:41 am

forgotusername wrote:Watched a preview last night at my local Everyman. The first thing to say is it is a looooooooong film. Three and a half hours to be precise. Scorsesi seems to be fond of long films which occasionally justify the length e.g. Wolf of Wall Street and others that don't, e.g The Irishman. Unfortunately last night's viewing didn't.
It's a good story with some superb character acting but there are scenes which drag on and others that add nothing much. Overall, It's worth seeing because it tells a remarkable tale but it could have been so much more punchy if an hour had been edited out.

It might help too if you speak Osage for those bits where he chose not to use subtitles and leave you in the dark as to what is being said.

Thanks for your take on this film. I wont go out of my way to watch it as I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio as an actor, so Three and a half hours of him is a no, no for me. I might be in a minority but I find him a bit nauseating. I can also take or leave Scorsesi now days.

Thanks, D.L.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 23rd, 2023, 12:06 pm

Sounds like it might be worth getting on disc for home viewing with subtitles.

Plus being able to pause for loo breaks etc and setting the sound level a tad lower than reference. She complains about that more than me.

I don't mind Leo either. Just in case he wants to invite me aboard one of his yachts but I'm busy this week :D

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » October 24th, 2023, 2:39 pm

I went to see it yesterday. The first hour seemed a bit slow despite some excellent scenery shots and good acting. Then, scene setting done, the film got better and better. I didn’t notice the next two and a half hours.

Di Caprio has never been my cup of tea but he’s improved and this was excellent. I expect he’ll get a nomination.

The story (true) was excellent and has an analogue in today’s world.

Best wishes, Steve

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 16th, 2024, 5:34 am

That was quite a slog, thought the last 10 minutes was the best part! The more the film went on the more I thought Dicappers looked like Marlon Brando or rather would make a wonderful Brando, or the film was sending me round the twist, but as stated, far, far too long. (saw it free on Apple TV so stop complaining)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 16th, 2024, 7:55 am

Thanks for the reviews. I will probably give this one a miss. I don't seem to have the saying power for long films any more. I notice, when I record things to watch later I sometimes never get round to watching those which take up more than 2 hours.

Worse if you feel the director is just being self-indulgent and the pace is just drawn out for the sake of space filling. Then you come out feeling you've wasted your life.

Arb.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”