Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

The Tourist - don't bother

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
forgotusername
Lemon Pip

The Tourist - don't bother

Postby forgotusername » January 7th, 2024, 10:43 am

Spoiler alert. If you are enjoying it, don't read on. If you haven't started, I wouldn't bother.

I enjoyed the first series of The Tourist which was genuinely exciting and was looking forward to series 2. Having endured all six episodes, I think my time was wasted. The plot is ludicrous, absurd decisions made in situations of threat to life, unbelievable coincidences, a girlfriend who spends more time exercising her facial expressions than saying anything worth hearing. Is it a comedy? Well Ethan Crum, the ex from Australia seems to think so. The hapless detective with a wierd fetish is beyond belief. In the end we don't get to discover who the lead character really is because he burns the file that would reveal the truth. What a cop out.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: The Tourist - don't bother

Postby monabri » January 7th, 2024, 11:35 am

We DO get to see who the lead character is..well, what he is! (Watch the last episode when he throws the docs in the fire....you might need to pause the playback on iPlayer). Whether one can suspend disbelief as to this piece of information (who he is) is debatable/ doubtful bearing in mind who his mother is it would be unlikely to say the least.

Episode 5 starts with a dream sequence.....just confusing padding.

In episode 6, the plot denouement is ...pushing credibility.

It's twaddle ...but there was nothing else on the box.

I'd rate it as 5/10 in the category of " dark humour comedy drama" .

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 7th, 2024, 11:54 am

I enjoyed the first series but found the second series unwatchable. Gave up on it half way through the second episode.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » January 7th, 2024, 12:01 pm

Pretty sure I gave up on the first series after three or four episodes but the OH persuaded me to have a go with this series.

I gave up after the first episode - but SWMBO watched all of them on iplayer and loved it. What can I say??

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » January 8th, 2024, 12:11 am

Didn't think a great deal of it if I'm honest. 1st series was better than 2nd series.

Not sure there was much that shocked anyone in the 2nd series least of all any alleged plot twists.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 8th, 2024, 10:15 am

I remember watching the first one. It's wasn't bad.

Might wait for a couple more negative reviews before deciding whether to give it a go.

I have Yellowstone on the go so missing this isn't a problem.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 20th, 2024, 2:07 pm

If you read the initial post here and were put off - you took a wrong turn :lol:

No, seriously, I am enjoying it - even though it turned much darker last week. The ending was quite a shock, but I'm hoping there was some mitigating trick.

I love it, though I have my doubts as to whether it will ultimately be satisfying in the sense that I like my dramas to "complete" not keep us on a string for endless series. For me, it's the humour which marks it out as quite different.

So, ignore the OP and give it a go - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Arb.

MickR
2 Lemon pips

Postby MickR » January 20th, 2024, 6:27 pm

I've just watched the 3rd episode last night and really enjoying it. The sample of spaghetti western music at the start let's you know exactly what you're in for

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 30th, 2024, 12:47 pm

I hope it is not too early to comment on the final episode.....

In my last comment, I wrote as follows:-
I love it, though I have my doubts as to whether it will ultimately be satisfying in the sense that I like my dramas to "complete" not keep us on a string for endless series.

Unfortunately, the ending was not entirely satisfying in several ways, and I am now thinking they will consider going for another series. If they do, it's doubtful if I will be watching - that depends what else is around at the time. Of itself it is quite enjoyable, but it needs an ending. It isn't satisfactory as an endless series like Doc Martin or Star Trek, or many others which can just invent episodes and one knows that from the beginning.

Really, I am disappointed that what looked as though it could be a good arc of a story, ended like many others - just fabricating some nonsense to keep their jobs going in the future. This all started with "Lost", which fortunately I didn't waste time on, but carried on through series such as "Mr Selfridge". That started off as reasonably close to history, but then it became apparent they were just inventing things the keep us on a hook. I didn't watch another episode.

Arb

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”