Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Old telly

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Old telly

Postby Leothebear » January 12th, 2024, 11:30 am

I have an 8 year old Samsung Smart TV. I've become aware that it's obsolete for some of the newer streaming services. I can watch Netfix, Iplayer, All4, My5 and some others but Now, ITVX are incompatible. Prime gives unacceptable performance.

The TV is excellent and I'm not planning to ditch it.

So for those skinflints like me, be warned.

Leo

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Old telly

Postby kempiejon » January 12th, 2024, 11:36 am

I too noticed this smart TVs just will not allow updates to services. I mostly use a firestick and my old smart (now dumb) TV as a monitor. My old PVR had the same problem.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 12th, 2024, 12:03 pm

kempiejon wrote:I too noticed this smart TVs just will not allow updates to services. I mostly use a firestick and my old smart (now dumb) TV as a monitor. My old PVR had the same problem.

It's not that the TVs & PVRs "will not allow" updates, it's that ITV have made the decision not to make ITVX available on all devices that ran ITV Hub. Something to do with them upgrading their content protection technology.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+doesn't+itvx+run+on+all+tvs

If your TV supports Miracast (or it doesn't but like me you have a Miracast widget plugged into it) you can cast ITVX from your laptop to the TV. Assuming you have a laptop of course.

Other technologies are available.... ;)

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 12th, 2024, 12:29 pm

mc2fool wrote:Other technologies are available.... ;)

You need a device that will be kept up to date and continues to be supported. So far the Amazon Firestick meets that criterion. The Now box once marketed by Sky didn't. So much so that they carried on taking the direct debits even after they'd switched off the service that the older boxes used.

The extra features that make a monitor "smart" don't have a long life.

If watching on a PC monitor is convenient, the straightforward browser interface seems robust. There would also be Chromecast and similar as another way of using a PC or phone to access the streaming content.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 12th, 2024, 12:52 pm

Alaric wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Other technologies are available.... ;)

You need a device that will be kept up to date and continues to be supported. So far the Amazon Firestick meets that criterion. The Now box once marketed by Sky didn't. So much so that they carried on taking the direct debits even after they'd switched off the service that the older boxes used.

The extra features that make a monitor "smart" don't have a long life.

If watching on a PC monitor is convenient, the straightforward browser interface seems robust. There would also be Chromecast and similar as another way of using a PC or phone to access the streaming content.

Yeah, but my point is that it's not only the device itself (the OS if you like) that needs to be kept up to date but the apps that run on it, and that's not up to the TV/PVR/widget manufacturer but the app provider.

And, of course, it's also up to the app provider as to whether they make any "upgrades" available on older devices and if they do anything to make the apps already on devices continue working or not. The iPlayer, Ch4, Ch5, Youtube & Prime apps all still run fine on my 12 year old Samsung TV.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 12th, 2024, 3:41 pm

I have an 8 year old Samsung Smart TV

As far as I can tell, my 12 year old Samsung Full HD non-Smart TV plus Firestick does pretty much all that a current tv can do, other than the 4K stuff.

I'm at the age where the difference between 1080p and 4k is not enough for me to make the jump.

But then, I did make the jump from iPhone 7 to iPhone XR. Go me. :D

HYD

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » January 12th, 2024, 3:46 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:I have an 8 year old Samsung Smart TV

As far as I can tell, my 12 year old Samsung Full HD non-Smart TV plus Firestick does pretty much all that a current tv can do, other than the 4K stuff.

I'm at the age where the difference between 1080p and 4k is not enough for me to make the jump.

But then, I did make the jump from iPhone 7 to iPhone XR. Go me. :D

HYD

Oh you need the 4k. It's a bright new world in UHD.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 22nd, 2024, 9:45 am

Our 10 (?) year old Sony plus Roku stick works on ITVX iplayer or All4. Or did last time I tried.

The others don't interest me anyway, and the above rarely, except iPlayer.

Arb.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”