Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

The Story Behind the Song

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

The Story Behind the Song

Postby redsturgeon » March 12th, 2024, 10:36 am

Just reading the "Nice Music" thread precipitated this idea.

Many songs have interesting stories behind them. MacArthur Park is one of them. It has some opaque lyrics that have been much pondered over but Jimmy Webb, the writer has offered explanations over the years that make things clearer.

The story behind it and why Richard Harris ended up with it is explained here, along with the strange lyrics which turn out to be actual observations during his meetings with his girlfriend in the eponymous park.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/richard ... rthur-park

I thought this might make an interesting new thread.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: The Story Behind the Song

Postby bungeejumper » March 12th, 2024, 11:20 am

Ah yes, I remember that one from when it first came out. 1968, I think? All a bit too recherché for my 17 year old self, unfortunately.

Okay, I'll admit that I was more into metal and blues at that time than semi-operatic stuff from a fine tenor voice, but it always puzzled me anyway. Why ever should I be interested in somebody's cake being left out in the rain, even if it was only a metaphor for getting dumped by Mr Harris's girlfriend?

Surrealism, the link says. Yeah, well, I'll raise you a semolina pilchard climbing up the Eiffel Tower. I win. :D

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 12th, 2024, 11:31 am

Ob sensible contribution: Joni Mitchell's Woodstock, which didn't happen because she was held up in traffic and never got there! Although half a million people will swear that they heard her perform it. ;)

But for another story behind the song, Billie Holliday describing the real domestic abuse that was to drive her to her death. (From drugs, booze and despair.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQlehVpcAes

BJ

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 12th, 2024, 11:43 am

I suppose I should believe Jimmy Webb's explanation of the lyrics to Macarthur Park, although it has always seemed to me to be a rather fine description of an LSD trip. I prefer Waylon Jennings' version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il1H1E6HpME

RC

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”