Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Seven Up!

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
XFool
The full Lemon

Seven Up!

Postby XFool » March 12th, 2024, 4:37 pm

Up documentary series voted most influential UK TV show of last 50 years

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/mar/12/up-documentary-series-voted-most-influential-uk-tv-show-of-last-50-years

Programme that follows the lives of 14 children at seven-year intervals tops Broadcasting Press Guild’s 50th anniversary chart

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Seven Up!

Postby bungeejumper » March 12th, 2024, 5:07 pm

Well deserved. A riveting series that proved to be full of surprises. I must get round to watching it again some time.

Spoiler (although not really) - the middle-class kids who seemed best placed for the future didn't always follow through, to put it mildly. :roll: Whereas some of the poorer and less confident ones went on to become quite eminent in later life, not least by dint of their personalities. Meanwhile, some others from modest backgrounds who wanted nothing much more than to get a job in Woolworths and have a family ended up with arguably more satisfaction than their more affluent peers.

The only thing that ever worried me was that these young people were inevitably going to be influenced by their TV stardom in one way or another. And having the TV cameras coming back at them every seven years was likely to become both stressful and intrusive as they tackled the challenges of adolescence. How would we have felt about that prospect? I don't think I'd have wanted it, for a start. :|

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Seven Up!

Postby redsturgeon » March 12th, 2024, 5:50 pm

I've always watched this with interest since I am the same age as the participants.

John

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”