Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Just Some Nice Music Thread Here...Post it Here...

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Just Some Nice Music Thread Here...Post it Here...

Postby kiloran » August 18th, 2017, 9:18 pm

panamagold wrote:
JMN2 wrote:Dear Mr Fantasy

https://youtu.be/pSQ1akE2CcM

What a difference 10 years makes

True, 10 years does make a difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7-8sCLWwLk

--kiloran

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 18th, 2017, 9:52 pm

panamagold wrote:
JMN2 wrote:Dear Mr Fantasy

https://youtu.be/pSQ1akE2CcM

What a difference 10 years makes

Yes, I was out of the army late summer -86 and had a nice two week holliday with my mates in Rhodes( before I was off to Joburg), where I bought few vinyl albums, this one, and Avalon from Bryan Ferry.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » August 20th, 2017, 9:28 pm

JMN2 wrote:Yes, I was out of the army late summer -86 and had a nice two week holliday with my mates in Rhodes( before I was off to Joburg), where I bought few vinyl albums, this one, and Avalon from Bryan Ferry.

Well don't just reminisce, let's get it out there. Did you know that when Brian Eno quit Roxy Music in 1973 violinist/keyboard player Eddie Jobson was his replacement. Where was Jobson winkled away from? Non other than Curved Air. It's a small world on TLF.
Avalon

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » August 22nd, 2017, 7:46 pm

Good to see this particular copy of the Prince-meisters 'Purple Rain' made it back onto uchewb three weeks ago. It was pulled shortly after his death. The graphics aren't exactly HD but the music and lyrics are there.
Here

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » August 24th, 2017, 8:25 pm

A good band frequently gets by with a middling b'duur der, but a great band will always have a great stick man/women,invariably a power hitter.This band (all time served session musicians) had such a drummer, by the name of Pat Mastelotto. They were very successful during the 80's with three billboard 100 hits and in 1994 he signed on as one of a trio of drummers, used in the line-up, of the UK's most long standing progressive rock band still performing today.
Pat Mastelotto 1985
Good ol' 80's FM radio stuff. Nice vocal hook for the concluding chorus run.
Pat Mastelotto 2016
Pened by Brian Eno and Bowie, I prefer this to the original version.Positively mainstream for this combo.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 25th, 2017, 5:17 pm

A real gem of a concept, Jackson Browne in mini-concert.

https://youtu.be/11HHue911Tg

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 25th, 2017, 7:30 pm

CommissarJones
Lemon Slice

Postby CommissarJones » September 2nd, 2017, 11:23 pm

"I'm Gonna Make You Love Me," Dee Dee Warwick (1966)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUmFpbcm4_8

Another original version of a much-recorded song. The best-known recording is probably the joint Temptations/Diana Ross & the Supremes version that reached #2 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart in January 1969, but Dee Dee Warwick (younger sister of Dionne) was the first person to take the song into the charts, reaching #13/rhythm & blues and #88/pop in 1966. Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson sang background vocals.

The song was written by Jerry Ross, his protege Kenny Gamble, and Leon Huff. Ross was a songwriter/producer/a&r man/executive in the Philadelphia music scene who also produced Bobby Hebb's hit "Sunny" and was co-producer for Shocking Blue's "Venus." Gamble and Huff went on to start Philadelphia International Records, where they devised a soul style characterized by lavish string arrangements that had largely surpassed the Motown sound in popularity by the mid-1970s. Well-known songs released by Philadelphia International include "If You Don't Know Me by Now" by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, "Back Stabbers" by the O'Jays and "Me and Mrs. Jones" by Billy Paul.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 3rd, 2017, 2:37 am

CommissarJones wrote:but Dee Dee Warwick (younger sister of Dionne) was the first person to take the song into the charts, reaching #13/rhythm & blues and #88/pop in 1966. Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson sang background vocals.

I'm not familiar with Dee Dee Warwick but Dionne's voice was amazing.
I was struck in the above^ by 'Ashford and Simpson', and indeed it seems it was the power-vocal duo, husband + wife team, who later performed the 1980s hit 'Solid as a rock'. It's pretty cheesy, but those vocals, not just belting it out but the control - wow! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsd7v

CommissarJones
Lemon Slice

Postby CommissarJones » September 3rd, 2017, 5:21 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:indeed it seems it was the power-vocal duo, husband + wife team, who later performed the 1980s hit 'Solid as a rock'.

Yep, the very same pair.

An interesting aspect of Ashford and Simpson is that in addition to performing themselves, they had more or less another career as songwriters (often working with Jo Armstead) and producers that resulted in some of the best-known soul hits of the 1960s, including most of the singles recorded by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. Hit songs written by Ashford and Simpson include "Let's Go Get Stoned," "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," "Your Precious Love," "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing " and "You're All I Need to Get By."

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 3rd, 2017, 7:31 pm

Wow, fascinating! Reminds me of the musical enigmas that are discreetly behind so much, like say Nile Rodgers, who after a long career only quite recently emerged from the shadows to reveal the legend/impresario that he is.
Ashford and Simpson were a hell of a talent if they wrote and performed their own material, to that level. And technically the vocals are pretty amazing. I bet most people would crash and burn trying to karaoke them :)

Skotch
Lemon Pip

Postby Skotch » September 4th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Given that Walter Becker has just passed away, thought you may like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... rVwhMCy4_F

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » September 6th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Steely Dan were never my thing. My Fire tablet is permenantly tuned to a southern Florida rock station which affords SD a good amount of air-play. I am, therefore, fully aware of their catalogue which puts me in touch, so to speak, with Larry Carlton, one of their their studio musicians.

Here he is jamming with the guitarist who has 22 gold records and gave the world multi-track recording, overdubbing and somebody should name a guitar after him. ;)

Larry Carlton with another guitarist

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 6th, 2017, 6:38 pm

SD were a thing I went through at uni 80-82*. So I look back fondly on that period, but to be honest would not wish to put those SD albums on right now [after decades], as it was 'time and place' and I don't think the music [long-term/technical quality] merits my going back to try and rediscover it. And I doubt in context now, that it's that great.
That Larry Carlton vid is interesting but to me like a jam in a bar. Switch it on in the background and the playing and net result isn't that exceptional [can I say that?]

* SD, Jethro Tull, Aswad + late new-wave, etc.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » September 6th, 2017, 9:05 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:That Larry Carlton vid is interesting but to me like a jam in a bar

Pretty well what it was. 'Iridium Jazz Club' 1650 Broadway and 51st, New York. A weekly haunt for Les Paul for the past 15 years
DiamondEcho wrote:Switch it on in the background and the playing and net result isn't that exceptional [can I say that?]

I'm sure there will be a mod along, any time soon, if you can't.

Sheryl Crow is appearing at the 'Iridium Jazz Club' tonight. Bet you didn't know that Sheryl Crow can 'kick ass'

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 7th, 2017, 1:51 pm

panamagold wrote:Pretty well what it was. 'Iridium Jazz Club' 1650 Broadway and 51st, New York. A weekly haunt for Les Paul for the past 15 years

Is that so :shock: Wish I had have known that when I was spending a great deal of time over there, as that kind of set-up would seem to have so many good possibilities.

panamagold wrote:I'm sure there will be a mod along, any time soon, if you can't.

:lol: , oops better be careful lol.

panamagold wrote:Sheryl Crow is appearing at the 'Iridium Jazz Club' tonight. Bet you didn't know that Sheryl Crow can 'kick ass'

Thanks for that. It's not the kind of performance I'm used to expecting from her! It's perhaps what Wayne in Wayne's World was referring to when he said of a singer 'she can really wail!'. I.e. it works in a rock context, especially a live one. But I can see she's struggling in some parts, like at the end of lines where she is 'throwing out the vocal' in an undefined way as her breath is almost out. Though in the context of the event it's of no consequence.

In part I'm picky in what I regard as a quality performance, instruments or vocals. It's probably down to a few things, having heard a looot of music. Being of a mature age, so I have less time for less than good/+. Having a high-end hi-fi, that if the recording is good the output can be literally breath-taking*. My wife having a very good home karaoke set that rates your performance in-time on each song as you sing through it. That really opened my eyes in many ways, taught me a lot about vocal performance. For example you can see some vocalists who are much celebrated who are/were woeful singers - I shan't volunteer names, music is tribal! :) But also other vocalists some might perhaps have rather taken for granted that are incredible. Try karaoking Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones, the vocals are amazing, relentless, IME it's almost impossible to discern where Jagger breathes or keep up with him. In beer fuelled enthusiasm I have many times set out in the forlorn hope of getting through to the end, but I've never managed it! A similar lesson was Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne, which I find a solid and engaging/fun rock song. Looking at Ozzy your expectations might not be that high, but OMG try and sing it with anything like the intensity he used to and likely the scales will be 'lifted from upon thine eyes' :lol:

* Example: 'Could you believe' by Sabine Sciubba [vocs] and Antonio Forcione [guitar] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbYg3QP2y7M And if you happen to listen to it through a 'lower-fi' device imagine what it can be like through some higher quality audio gear. Startling, it usually manages to send up all the hairs on the back of my neck, the power, the control, THAT range!

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » September 8th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Here's another kick ass performance by a young lady from the Czech Republic. I suspect Dan McCafferty might approve. Gabriela Gunčíková

CommissarJones
Lemon Slice

Postby CommissarJones » September 9th, 2017, 10:41 pm

"I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face," Pat Thomas (1964)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4Dv1YX1vk

I love this piece of very uptown r&b; it's beautifully arranged, and Thomas' gorgeous voice makes a great contrast with the bittersweet lyrics. Sadly, Thomas - who was from Chicago and apparently more of a jazz singer - seems to have almost dropped out of popular memory. She recorded the first English-language version of the bossa nova hit "Desafinado" for Verve in 1962, which was released as one side of a debut single and got her a Grammy nomination. However, Ella Fitzgerald recorded the song in the same year and won the award, which I'm guessing must have been frustrating.

"I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face" was written by Jerry Ragovoy with Chip Taylor, one of the lesser-known Brill Building songwriters. (Fun fact: Taylor's real name is James Wesley Voight; he is the younger brother of actor Jon Voight and the uncle of actress Angelina Jolie.) Ragovoy also was the arranger for Thomas' recording of the song. Like his contemporary Bert Berns, Ragovoy was an important presence as a songwriter and producer; they both did much of their work with soul singers and so were sometimes called the White Kings of Soul Music. Ragovoy founded the Hit Factory recording studio in New York and wrote songs including "Time Is on My Side" (under the pseudonym of Norman Meade) and "Piece of My Heart," written with Berns and famously recorded by Janis Joplin. Ragovoy also produced Miriam Makeba's 1967 hit recording of "Pata Pata" and has a songwriting credit on the tune as well.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » September 10th, 2017, 8:40 pm

I enjoyed that. Without your comprehensive summarization and the video info I would have said it was Marion Montgomery. But then what do I know? :oops:

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 10th, 2017, 9:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBGxYfQ7Gy0
Jan Akkerman - Streetwalker

In his post Focus, prog-rock, Hocus Pocus, Sylvia etc incarnation he had and has a lot more space to breath. Wonderfully technically accomplished, whilst retaining soul. It's just so easy-going...

ps I also like how he's more than usual 'post-ego', his excellent band each really get to show their skill, rather than being permitted simply 'a brief turn' to shine.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”