Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to tea42,yyuryyub,Howyoudoin,Anonymous,EverybodyKnows, for Donating to support the site

RPI to 6% !

including Budgets
pje16
Lemon Quarter

Re: RPI to 6% !

Postby pje16 » May 12th, 2022, 10:07 am

AF62 wrote:But I meant 'faceless' as in being one of hundreds of 'drones' working for a large corporation where you could merge into the scenery if you wanted to

I thought that was for call centre workers (no offense if anyone is one)

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » May 12th, 2022, 2:05 pm

AF62 wrote:I was stood outside a regional development office that had a signboard outside advertising local jobs, and every job whether it was a shop assistant, receptionist, bar staff, waiters, cleaners, and even more responsible and skilled jobs such as fast food chefs, was being advertised at the minimum wage or only a few pence over it. The only higher paid jobs were sales jobs with commission such as sales staff in kitchen showrooms.

Govt Agencies such as this always send the worst applicants, so only attract the worst employers/jobs. T'was always thus. I was a boss then employer in my own right for 20 years, and I NEVER advertised a job at a Job Centre. Yes, advertising there is free. But the people they sent were invariably time wasters - worse than useless. Decent jobs are advertised by private recruitment agencies. Of which, btw, there are now 14 in my rural county town.

Gryff

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » May 12th, 2022, 3:05 pm

BT63 wrote:Mostly garden and a few home items. The sort of things you might find in large garden centres ...

Earlier he gave a more exact figure and said the first half of April sales are down 67% compared to previous years.

This kind of anecdote is always interesting for giving colour, but a few thoughts on it :

I understand that the core business of garden centres is insanely seasonal - four weekends in April to the May Bank Holiday make up some crazy percentage of the annual takings, it was discussed a fair bit in the context of allowing garden centres to be exempt from first lockdown. And online garden stores will be looking at LFLs against two years of business that were boosted by people "nesting" during lockdowns.

However this year the unusually mild weather will have pushed a fair bit of garden activity in particular "hard" landscaping etc forward into February/March - I had my veg garden all prepped by the end of March which Never Happens. So I suspect some of the normal April business moved into March. Whereas plant-related purchases still need to wait until mid-late April.

Also Easter wasn't in the first half of April this year, whereas it was in the last two years so the LFLs may not be terribly fair.

Just looking at the top line of the business that I'm involved with that's most weather/season dependent, January was slightly ahead of the long-term average to 2019 (LFLs through 20/21 are just too messed up to be meaningful), February and April were both weak (down, at the limits of normal fluctuations but still within it) but March was an absolute monster of a month. We felt that there was definitely a combination of weather and a general will to "get back to normal" behind the March numbers, but April should have been a bit better given the weather. People seeing their new utility bills and going "we need to cut back a bit elsewhere" may well have been a factor.

As an aside - in the US, used car prices have been a significant part of the rise in inflation, but they're down 6.4% since January (but still +14% yoy) so there's some hope there that one element of inflation is being suppressed :
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/06/used-ca ... ation.html

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 12th, 2022, 7:28 pm

AF62 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:A lot of people seem to have no concern about the cost of living at the moment or it would seem the future.

Why would the cost of living increases concern a lot of people?

Sure the rises in prices of food and energy will be terrifying to a sizeable group of people on very low incomes or relying on state benefits, and will be concerning to a larger group of people on low to middling incomes, but to a vast number of people those increases will be annoying rather than life changing.

That is about the most pompous lot of words that I have read for a long while. To 'a vast number of people, those increases will be annoying'?' They will probably not be life changing for me but they will, if they come to pass, be more than annoying. I can afford the extra costs, but I would much rather not bear them, instead of which, I may cut back on giving money to people who really need it.

Doid

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 12th, 2022, 8:47 pm

Dod101 wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:A lot of people seem to have no concern about the cost of living at the moment or it would seem the future.

Why would the cost of living increases concern a lot of people?

Sure the rises in prices of food and energy will be terrifying to a sizeable group of people on very low incomes or relying on state benefits, and will be concerning to a larger group of people on low to middling incomes, but to a vast number of people those increases will be annoying rather than life changing.

That is about the most pompous lot of words that I have read for a long while. To 'a vast number of people, those increases will be annoying'?' They will probably not be life changing for me but they will, if they come to pass, be more than annoying. I can afford the extra costs, but I would much rather not bear them, instead of which, I may cut back on giving money to people who really need it.

Doid

Pompous? Seems to be quite accurate from your comments.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: RPI to 11% !

Postby stevensfo » May 18th, 2022, 8:49 am

Latest figures released today:

RPI 11.1%

CPI 9.0%

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices

Steve

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » May 18th, 2022, 11:14 am

Well look on the bright side -it is devaluing our eye watering national debt quite rapidly and fiscal drag will greatly help tax revenues. :D

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 18th, 2022, 12:58 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Well look on the bright side -it is devaluing our eye watering national debt quite rapidly and fiscal drag will greatly help tax revenues. :D

Please don't say 'our eye watering debt'. Nowt to do with me. It may be someone's eye watering debt, certainly not mine.

My mum's village has cut everything to the point where they won't even clean the drains to stop half the bloody roads flooding after a rainstorm and wheelie bins are only removed when more than two inhabitants have died from dysentery and the contents of the bins evolve into a new life form.

But the council taxes ARE eye watering!

Goodness knows what they're spending the money on!

Sure there's a Doctor Who episode in there somewhere. 8-)

Steve

Return to “The Economy”