Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vanguard on Inflation

including Budgets
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Vanguard on Inflation

Postby Mike4 » February 5th, 2022, 12:32 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
TUK020 wrote:
Steveam wrote:Geoff: Thanks for the link. I think it’s a bit motherhood and apple pie but I found this note interesting “ 3 Based on Vanguard's modelling, we think UK investors can expect 10-year annualised returns ranging from 4.6% to 6.6% in the case of UK shares and 2.8% to 4.8% for those elsewhere in the world.”

Is this in real terms?

No, it is in nominal terms, before costs and taxes. Inflation? The BOE target is 2%, but they are not good at keeping to that. 3% average over the next 10 years perhaps?

My view is we are in for 10%-ish inflation rates for the next few years, given the inflationary pressures already baked in and the probable reluctance of the BoE/guvvermint to raise rates enough to control it, due to the impact this would have on the massive public and private borrowing (built up due to overconfidence that low interest rates would last for ever).

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vanguard on Inflation

Postby GeoffF100 » February 5th, 2022, 5:43 pm

Mike4 wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:
TUK020 wrote:
Steveam wrote:Geoff: Thanks for the link. I think it’s a bit motherhood and apple pie but I found this note interesting “ 3 Based on Vanguard's modelling, we think UK investors can expect 10-year annualised returns ranging from 4.6% to 6.6% in the case of UK shares and 2.8% to 4.8% for those elsewhere in the world.”

Is this in real terms?

No, it is in nominal terms, before costs and taxes. Inflation? The BOE target is 2%, but they are not good at keeping to that. 3% average over the next 10 years perhaps?

My view is we are in for 10%-ish inflation rates for the next few years, given the inflationary pressures already baked in and the probable reluctance of the BoE/guvvermint to raise rates enough to control it, due to the impact this would have on the massive public and private borrowing (built up due to overconfidence that low interest rates would last for ever).

The markets (and Vanguard) clearly do not agree, but no one knows the future.

Return to “The Economy”