Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

UK offices empty fast on Covid. FT news.

including Budgets
scotview
Lemon Quarter

UK offices empty fast on Covid. FT news.

Postby scotview » April 1st, 2022, 11:51 pm

Well, the offices empty again. looks like at every opportunity now.

Meanwhile, fishermen. farmers, NHS staff, 24/7 caring staff, food factories making tinned beans & ready meals, local bakers making morning rolls and bread, garage mechanics repairing cars and doing MOTs, firemen, ambulance drivers, paper boys, printing presses, engineering workshops, foundries making castings et al. soldier on regardless and no special thanks.

Really, really, really getting fed up with these laptop home "workers" getting easy street again. Garden, Coffee, School Run, Tesco shopping in the afternoon.

Bankers, Council Clerks, DVLA, HMRC and probably Pub & Restaurant workers demanding more furlough.

Getting to be a joke now, really.

https://www.ft.com/content/5f1f3233-bf0 ... 0a957f57b7

Posted on 1st April, just.....................the joke is on the UK dedicated workforce, the real joke is on them.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: UK offices empty fast on Covid. FT news.

Postby Mike4 » April 2nd, 2022, 12:05 am

Your link took me straight to paywallsRus.com

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » April 2nd, 2022, 12:21 am

Mike4 wrote:Your link took me straight to paywallsRus.com

Fit are ye spikin aboot min. Yer na 'at glekit surely. Na' ye canna bae, nae even for a plumber. An a've mat a loat o' glekit plumbers in ma time.

Best regards

Scotview.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » April 2nd, 2022, 10:22 am

scotview wrote:

Fit are ye spikin aboot min. Yer na 'at glekit surely. Na' ye canna bae, nae even for a plumber. An a've mat a loat o' glekit plumbers in ma time.

Best regards

Scotview.

Need to get that keyboard fixed?

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » April 2nd, 2022, 10:38 am

scotview wrote:Well, the offices empty again. looks like at every opportunity now.

Meanwhile, fishermen. farmers, NHS staff, 24/7 caring staff, food factories making tinned beans & ready meals, local bakers making morning rolls and bread, garage mechanics repairing cars and doing MOTs, firemen, ambulance drivers, paper boys, printing presses, engineering workshops, foundries making castings et al. soldier on regardless and no special thanks.

Really, really, really getting fed up with these laptop home "workers" getting easy street again. Garden, Coffee, School Run, Tesco shopping in the afternoon.

Have you ever worked from home? I have and it's more convenient, sure, but it's also hard to switch off from it and sometimes I've done extra in my own time. If anything, I got more work done.

Your argument seems to be that because some people can't avoid a tedious commute, everyone should have to suffer it. Seems a bit silly and pointless to be honest.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 2nd, 2022, 11:35 am

TUK020 wrote:
scotview wrote:

Best regards

Scotview.

Must confess, on my first reading of it I'd become so absorbed in the Kelman style prose that I took "plumber" to be a new Scots pejorative that had been invented since I left

-sd

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 2nd, 2022, 11:48 am

MrFoolish wrote:Have you ever worked from home? I have and it's more convenient, sure, but it's also hard to switch off from it and sometimes I've done extra in my own time. If anything, I got more work done.

I did that for 8 years, going into the office 120 miles away in the Midlands, in the middle of the week for up to 3 days, staying locally or visiting clients even further north. I was doing 30,000 miles a year. The advantage was that home was nearer the airports, and I did a lot of overseas travel. Also nearer the Channel Ports, for going to exhibitions with mounds of brochures or visiting clients more easily reached that way.

When you have a boss in the USA, and clients in the far East, working from home can be a very extended day. It has been lunchtime before I had time to get dressed. On the other hand I have had a phone call at 8am and been in a taxi to Heathrow by 11am for a flight to Taiwan. Nowadays things would be simpler, as one can buy tickets online, but that was in the days of faxes and the early days of email. Telecom Gold and all that. Fortunately I had a good local travel agent.

Zoom, Teams and the like would have helped.

TJH

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 2nd, 2022, 1:10 pm

TUK020 wrote:
scotview wrote:

Best regards

Scotview.

Or turn the auto-correct off, lol!!

Return to “The Economy”