Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Are UK House Prices about to peak?

including Budgets
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Re: Are UK House Prices about to peak?

Postby Nimrod103 » May 20th, 2022, 1:49 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Tara wrote:Last century a single person on average wage could afford to buy a detached house in any part of the UK with about 2 or 3 years of his wages. Now that figure is over 12 years of average wages.

The only reason the UK housing market has not collapsed by over 50% is because the BOE has very foolishly kept interest rates at about zero for the last 15 years. When interest rates start to rise to stop the runaway double digit inflation we are now seeing, the UK housing market will begin the collapse.

An eventual fall in UK house prices of 50% to 60% from the current levels would not be very surprising.

You are bialystock and I claim my five pounds.

(This is what he was saying in 1997, when he sold his 4 bed Westbourne Grove house for £300k expecting to buy it back in six months for £150k, for those who weren't on TMF when he turned up dissing everyone BTLing.)

Or go back further in time than that. I recall 40 years ago, just as I was buying my second home in London, someone telling me that house prices had become "insane" and would surely crash.

I bought the house anyway for £44,000. I no longer own it but it is now worth about a million. No doubt that is "insane" but who would bet on it being cheaper in another 40 years?

Well there are always plenty of wishful thinkers around, hence the launch of the website and forum housepricecrash.co.uk which is still prattling on about house prices crashing now, 25 years after the 50% fall they initially forecast back in the late 90s never happened. They have the same relentless bearishness on house prices on the front page of their website today as there was 20+ years ago.

The odd thing I notice though is the way people like you and me get characterised by the house price crashers as believing prices will only ever go up for ever, which is patently not the case. My own position is that I see are there are upward pressures on house prices (relentless population growth, government fear of allowing a price crash and planning restrictions on new building). These pressures make the 50%-60% crash suggested by Tara above, unlikely. I still think my original decision to build a property portfolio 25 years ago was a good one, and I'm keeping it as I still see the same or similar pressures so to an extent I'm talking my own book, just as the HPCers hoping to buy a cheap house are talking theirs.

The interesting thing about housepricecrash.co.uk (and I started reading a few posts there about 20 years ago) was that many of the posters had been caught up in the rush to buy property in the late 1980s, and had their fingers burnt in the collapse of the early 1990s. As a result, their analysis of the Gordon Brown years was that interest rates were too low, would have to rise, and there would consequently be another great house price collapse, when they would be able to buy in to cheap housing. Unfortunately for them, the China effect and keeping housing costs out of the BoE's remit meant that interest rates remained lower for much longer. The explosion, when it occurred, was in the banking sector, not housing, and instead of forcing up lending rates, governments went in for printing money which enabled rates to be kept artificially low. The hpc followers also never foresaw the cynical way Blair opened the immigration taps, so demand for housing shot up, and encouraged the BTL boom.

Personally, I never bought into the hpc philosophy, as I thought it was impossible politically for house prices to drop more than a few %. I certainly never imagined how the then government and BoE would make such a mess of the British economy. But I should have looked at what Blair was doing with his property portfolio and done likewise.

miserlymartin

Postby miserlymartin » May 30th, 2022, 7:39 pm

NotSure wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:I have often thought prices were mad only for them to continue to increase a lot.
The supply demand imbalance continues to support prices as does the fact that buying a house is most peoples highest priority.

Economists have forecast 50 of the last 2 house price falls :D

Likewise. I've thought they were in a bubble since about 1999!

I think interest rates are the biggest threat. Houses are already a huge multiple of earnings, but when I look at the interest-only part of the payment on my mortgage (even adjusted for HPI since I purchased) it's still only 50-75% of what I'd pay in rent. So if people can afford to rent, they can likely afford to service the interest on a mortgage. This leaves the 'powers that be' scope for propping things up for some way yet - i.e. allow suspension of capital repayment if things get sticky etc. I don't think a large nominal drop is really even 'possible', as in it could collapse the banks. So all I think we can hope for, as stated above, is a decent drop in real prices via flatlining nominal prices and high inflation (assuming wages stay vaguely in touch with CPI/RPI).

I have thought similar since 2000. However, I've changed from a housing bear to a bull in the past 4 years. There seems to be no limit to the lengths the government will go to to think up new ponzi schemes to keep it going. I am also sadly bullish housing during this inflationary time which i think could last for decades

miserlymartin

Postby miserlymartin » May 30th, 2022, 7:43 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:The interesting thing about housepricecrash.co.uk (and I started reading a few posts there about 20 years ago) was that many of the posters had been caught up in the rush to buy property in the late 1980s, and had their fingers burnt in the collapse of the early 1990s. As a result, their analysis of the Gordon Brown years was that interest rates were too low, would have to rise, and there would consequently be another great house price collapse, when they would be able to buy in to cheap housing. Unfortunately for them, the China effect and keeping housing costs out of the BoE's remit meant that interest rates remained lower for much longer. The explosion, when it occurred, was in the banking sector, not housing, and instead of forcing up lending rates, governments went in for printing money which enabled rates to be kept artificially low. The hpc followers also never foresaw the cynical way Blair opened the immigration taps, so demand for housing shot up, and encouraged the BTL boom.

Yes they got a lot wrong, but they did get the 2008 crash right. Also in Northern Ireland they had a 55% crash and similar in the republic. As for the HPC forum it is a nasty place these days. I got banned with no warning at all after 10 + years of regular posts, and with no means of appeal. They do that all the time to people. It wasn't for posting housing bullish stuff because then I wasn't. It's become a very left leaning forum full of bitter remainers.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » May 31st, 2022, 8:31 am

Is the tanker beginning to turn?

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak- ... t-12615118

"House prices increased by 8.4% in the year to April, cooling down from 9% growth in March.

Zoopla said it expects the rate of house price growth to slow to 3% by the end of the year."

Of course, while 8.4% growth would still be impressive under the old regime, it's actually below official CPI as of today, so houses have barely kept pace with inflation in the last year and now are poised for real term declines... which isn't actually a terrible thing. Inflation does help erode debt and with the still deeply negative interest rates we currently have the average mortgagee is quids in.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 31st, 2022, 8:41 am

vand wrote:Of course, while 8.4% growth would still be impressive under the old regime, it's actually below official CPI as of today, so houses have barely kept pace with inflation in the last year and now are poised for real term declines

But what other asset class has keep up with inflation in the last year? Certainly not shares or bonds, both of which did worse than houses.

Neither is CGT-free like your home. Nor can you live in them.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » May 31st, 2022, 9:45 am

miserlymartin wrote: As for the HPC forum it is a nasty place these days. I got banned with no warning at all after 10 + years of regular posts, and with no means of appeal. They do that all the time to people. It wasn't for posting housing bullish stuff because then I wasn't. It's become a very left leaning forum full of bitter remainers.

I got banned for being a 'Labour Troll'.
I'm a member of the Conservative Party. :lol:

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » May 31st, 2022, 10:07 am

Lootman wrote:With over 60% of the electorate living in owner-occupied homes, it is a brave person who bets against housing.

Most people dont really care what their house is worth, it is somewhere to live not an investment they intend to sell.

There are 2.6 million landlords in the UK, which makes them a distinct minority.

Im not sure if any of the political parties have realised that yet, because the majority of MPs are landlords, we have had decades of people complaining about the housing crisis and the response has always been: don't worry we will find a way to make prices more expensive.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 31st, 2022, 12:19 pm

Lanark wrote:
Lootman wrote:With over 60% of the electorate living in owner-occupied homes, it is a brave person who bets against housing

Most people don't really care what their house is worth . .

Really?

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » May 31st, 2022, 3:19 pm

Lanark suggested:

Whether most people do or don't is difficult to prove. I certainly don't, nor, do I suspect, do those who have no debt on their property and who see it (as Lanark suggests) as their home. I downsized about 10 years ago (best decision I have ever made in my life as the big old house would have become a prison) and cannot see myself ever moving from my current property as it was deliberately chosen to tick all of my important boxes (security, disable friendly, can be left for months unoccupied &c.). I have no idea what it is currently worth and if asked I would say somewhere between twice and thrice what I paid for it. The figure is wholly unimportant to me.

Eb.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » May 31st, 2022, 8:07 pm

Out here in rural Somerset the property market is still quite hot. Last year Taunton saw the highest average price rise in the UK, at 21%. A friend recently sold a house in Taunton for 9% above the listed price, having received six offers for it within two days of it being listed.

Somerset (but not Bath) is cheap compared to the South-East (and is quite a bit cheaper than Devon). Taunton in particular has excellent rail and road links to London, Bristol and Exeter. It's no surprise to me that TV's "Escape to the Country" regularly features Somerset.

From what I've read, I reckon that the movement of people out of the cities is going to continue to push up prices in the shires (at the expense of London).

That said, I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to forecasting residential property prices. So my recently buying shares in Grainger (big residential landlord) might be a bearish sign given my track record :D

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 31st, 2022, 8:41 pm

Lootman wrote:
Lanark wrote:
Lootman wrote:With over 60% of the electorate living in owner-occupied homes, it is a brave person who bets against housing

Really?

Moat people just say they don't care what their house is worth, whilst at the same time keeping a weather eye on asking prices of neighbour's houses coming on the market and feeling smugly satisfied at how much more it is than they paid for theirs.

Well I do anyway!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 1st, 2022, 1:15 am

Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Lanark wrote:

Really?

Moat people just say they don't care what their house is worth, whilst at the same time keeping a weather eye on asking prices of neighbour's houses coming on the market and feeling smugly satisfied at how much more it is than they paid for theirs.

Well I do anyway!

Probably similar for folk whose homes aren't surrounded by water ;)

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » June 1st, 2022, 2:01 pm

I only care about the value of my house in the sense that it allows me to borrow monopoly amounts of money at nonsensical real rates against it. I do recognise that its a completely dysfunctional market where high prices are against the interest of most participants.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 1st, 2022, 2:27 pm

vand wrote:I only care about the value of my house in the sense that it allows me to borrow monopoly amounts of money at nonsensical real rates against it. I do recognise that its a completely dysfunctional market where high prices are against the interest of most participants.

That's great but you stated that "Most people don't really care what their house is worth" and I can assure you based on every dinner party I have ever been to, that they do.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » June 1st, 2022, 3:24 pm

Of course one factor is that due to the gearing effect of a mortgage, increasing house prices mean that owners have a disproportionate rise in their equity in the house. That is one reason why people may like their house price to increase even though, in reality, they can never realise that gain unless they downsize and the costs of moving house increase due to charges that are percentage based (eg stamp duty and agents fees).

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » June 3rd, 2022, 8:18 pm

Lootman wrote:
vand wrote:I only care about the value of my house in the sense that it allows me to borrow monopoly amounts of money at nonsensical real rates against it. I do recognise that its a completely dysfunctional market where high prices are against the interest of most participants.

That's great but you stated that "Most people don't really care what their house is worth" and I can assure you based on every dinner party I have ever been to, that they do.

Wasn't me :)

All in all, I'd rather have home prices half their current value so that our young aren't saddled with huge debt just to house themselves, but that will need a drastic realignment of interest rates over time. Could happen, of course.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » June 3rd, 2022, 9:38 pm

vand wrote:
Lootman wrote:

That's great but you stated that "Most people don't really care what their house is worth" and I can assure you based uyeon every dinner party I have ever been to, that they do.

All in all, I'd rather have home prices half their current value so that our young aren't saddled with huge debt just to house themselves, but that will need a drastic realignment of interest rates over time. Could happen, of course.

I’m really not clear how this all works.
At present, interest rates are very low, so house prices are very high, and people (particularly first time buyers) find it difficult to buy.
Next year interest rates rise, so many prospective buyers can’t borrow so much, so house prices come down, but crucially buyers still find it difficult to buy because so many won’t be able to borrow what they need.
In what way is the second case different?
The only way the housing market becomes easier is if there are fewer buyers and more supply. But with continuing high levels of immigration demand will continue to outstrip supply.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 3rd, 2022, 9:45 pm

vand wrote:
Lootman wrote:

20 years ago when houses were half their current value, there were loads of people around saying much the same thing.

(Although they weren't calling for a disastrous rise in interest rates to achieve it.)

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » June 4th, 2022, 11:25 am

What might increase supply is x3 or x4 times Council tax on second homes and holiday lets, and Council tax on land with planning permission.

Rob

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 4th, 2022, 11:29 am

robbelg wrote:What might increase supply is x3 or x4 times Council tax on second homes and holiday lets, and Council tax on land with planning permission.

Don't joke about such things. Some US cities have, or are considering, an "empty homes tax". $5,000 a year in extra tax if you own a property but do not live in it and do not rent it out.

We already have extra stamp duty on the purchase of second and subsequent homes of course.

Return to “The Economy”