Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Are UK House Prices about to peak?

including Budgets
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Are UK House Prices about to peak?

Postby Mike4 » September 2nd, 2022, 11:14 am

Tara wrote:

Australia house prices are also starting to collapse.

https://www.livewiremarkets.com/wires/s ... lised-rate

UK will follow soon.

And after UK house prices have collapsed, what do you predict will happen next?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 2nd, 2022, 11:25 am

Tara wrote:
BullDog wrote:I think the local estate agents around here haven't got the memo yet. Prices seem to have hit an even more insane high. A newly built bungalow no bigger than most double garages that has just been built on a bit of land hacked off a garden has just gone on sale for £450,000. I realise that would be dirt cheap for some parts. But around here maybe 18 months ago, that kind of money would have bought a good 4 bed detached house with a garage of similar size to this bungalow.

Well you can never underestimate the greed of UK estate agents, or even buyers and sellers. The unfortunate buyer of such an overpriced property will probably be desperate not to “miss out” on the Ponzi scheme, and so they will take on whatever huge debt their mortgage provider is willing to give them.

Give it a few years of rising interest rates, and negative equity, and the bank will probably have taken repossession of the property. They will probably then put it back on the market at less than half the price.

I remember a poster naming himself "bialystock" on TMF 25 years ago expressing this exact same opinion. The feeling that houses were grossly overpriced was widespread around then. Anyone paying £45k for a three bed semi in Reading was clearly nuts and setting themselves up for bankruptcy in the coming price crash. He even sold his five-bed house in Westbourne Grove for £300k and boasted he would buy it back again for £150k six months later, IIRC.

Being desperate myself not to "miss out" on the crazy Ponzi scheme profits you so scornfully write about, I took on "huge debt", poured it all into property and, well put it this way, so far my head is still above water (ok my ankles are still a bit wet) and nowadays my property income exceeds my working income from my job. Property has been very kind to me.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 2nd, 2022, 11:46 am

Mike4 wrote:
Tara wrote:
BullDog wrote:I think the local estate agents around here haven't got the memo yet. Prices seem to have hit an even more insane high. A newly built bungalow no bigger than most double garages that has just been built on a bit of land hacked off a garden has just gone on sale for £450,000. I realise that would be dirt cheap for some parts. But around here maybe 18 months ago, that kind of money would have bought a good 4 bed detached house with a garage of similar size to this bungalow.

Well you can never underestimate the greed of UK estate agents, or even buyers and sellers. The unfortunate buyer of such an overpriced property will probably be desperate not to “miss out” on the Ponzi scheme, and so they will take on whatever huge debt their mortgage provider is willing to give them.

Give it a few years of rising interest rates, and negative equity, and the bank will probably have taken repossession of the property. They will probably then put it back on the market at less than half the price.

I remember a poster naming himself "bialystock" on TMF 25 years ago expressing this exact same opinion. The feeling that houses were grossly overpriced was widespread around then. Anyone paying £45k for a three bed semi in Reading was clearly nuts and setting themselves up for bankruptcy in the coming price crash. He even sold his five-bed house in Westbourne Grove for £300k and boasted he would buy it back again for £150k six months later, IIRC.

Being desperate myself not to "miss out" on the crazy Ponzi scheme profits you so scornfully write about, I took on "huge debt", poured it all into property and, well put it this way, so far my head is still above water (ok my ankles are still a bit wet) and nowadays my property income exceeds my working income from my job. Property has been very kind to me.

The problem is the mindless, non-questioning groupthink among the British that 'you can't go wrong with property'.

Granted, since the mid90s "they" have always bailed out mortgage holders.
But the options for that are fast running out with everything else that's going on.

I think there is a small chance the cavalry may come to bail out mortgage holders this time, but all considered I really don't think so.

What if it really is different this time?

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 2nd, 2022, 11:49 am

Mike4 wrote:nowadays my property income exceeds my working income from my job. Property has been very kind to me.

So what?

My stocks and shares tinkering income beats my working income too.
Stocks and shares have been very kind to me.

So what?
Are you telling me that all will be ok in the stock market as it's always been very good to me so far?*
Look forwards, not backwards.

*Got news for you. Everything will be going down when TSHTF.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 2nd, 2022, 11:57 am

Mike4 wrote:
Tara wrote:

It's timing though init?
I bought my first place in 2002 after 18 months of work having spent 9 and a bit years at uni. (On the aforementioned 102% mortgage). Made 30% in three years - moved a bit further out of Edinburgh so we'd have two bedrooms - and then sold again in early 2008 to f**k off overseas.
Guy I sold to would have been selling at a nominal loss for nearly a decade.

I've known folk end up living in basements because of negative equity - and my mum's brother swung himself from a tree in London park because of it
- it's not one way street by any means

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 2nd, 2022, 12:14 pm

absolutezero wrote:
Mike4 wrote:nowadays my property income exceeds my working income from my job. Property has been very kind to me.

So what?

So what?
Are you telling me that all will be ok in the stock market as it's always been very good to me so far?*

You really haven't been following the thread have you?

The "So what?" is that tara's mindless bleating about property being a Ponzi scheme you can only lose money on, is not necessarily always the case.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » September 2nd, 2022, 1:45 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
vand wrote:As a side show from the housing market itself, the homebuilder shares are continuing to get utterly crushed.

I know some people here hold them and have handsome gains from buying when they were dirt cheap, but you can't be happy that they've basically been cut in since their peak.

If they carry on paying dividends, the price can go where it likes.

TJH

Clearly, dividends will be cut as earnings fall. A prospective 16% forward yield for PSN is as clear a sign from the market as you can get that the cycle has peaked.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 2nd, 2022, 2:33 pm

vand wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
vand wrote:As a side show from the housing market itself, the homebuilder shares are continuing to get utterly crushed.

I know some people here hold them and have handsome gains from buying when they were dirt cheap, but you can't be happy that they've basically been cut in since their peak.

TJH

Clearly, dividends will be cut as earnings fall. A prospective 16% forward yield for PSN is as clear a sign from the market as you can get that the cycle has peaked.

If the share price keeps falling and then it pays you 16% of that a year, with the 16% drop in the share price plus the falling price, it doesn't take long to make the shares worth a hell of a lot less.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 2nd, 2022, 2:34 pm

Mike4 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:

So what?

So what?

The "So what?" is that tara's mindless bleating about property being a Ponzi scheme you can only lose money on, is not necessarily always the case.

But neither is the "I'm alright, Jack, it's been great to me, and balls to the younger ones" bleating.

Tara
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tara » September 2nd, 2022, 6:45 pm

absolutezero wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:

So what?

So what?

But neither is the "I'm alright, Jack, it's been great to me, and balls to the younger ones" bleating.

Exactly.

These people who never stop telling everyone about the huge money and fortunes they have made from owning UK houses never seem to give a thought to the consequences of their greed, and the terrible effect that it has had on younger generations in the UK who can no longer afford a house.

They will also then selfishly act as “Bank of Mum and Dad” by giving a 50k house deposit to their children so that they can also continue the UK housing Ponzi scam, and so that their children can also exclude the children of the less fortunate from ever buying a house.

I sometimes wonder if these people would be so selfish and uncaring if their greed was causing half of the population to be priced out of the market in other necessities such as bread or water or shoes? Sadly, the answer is probably yes.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » September 2nd, 2022, 8:49 pm

Tara wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:

So what?

So what?

Exactly.

These people who never stop telling everyone about the huge money and fortunes they have made from owning UK houses never seem to give a thought to the consequences of their greed, and the terrible effect that it has had on younger generations in the UK who can no longer afford a house.

They will also then selfishly act as “Bank of Mum and Dad” by giving a 50k house deposit to their children so that they can also continue the UK housing Ponzi scam, and so that their children can also exclude the children of the less fortunate from ever buying a house.

I sometimes wonder if these people would be so selfish and uncaring if their greed was causing half of the population to be priced out of the market in other necessities such as bread or water or shoes? Sadly, the answer is probably yes.

Oh. Rubbish! You haven't listened to a word you've been told on this thread.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 2nd, 2022, 9:05 pm

Tara wrote:These people who never stop telling everyone about the huge money and fortunes they have made from owning UK houses never seem to give a thought to the consequences of their greed, and the terrible effect that it has had on younger generations in the UK who can no longer afford a house.

You seem happy to call people selfish, uncaring and greedy and blame these people on the rise of house prices. Don't you think there are other factors that have had a much more significant effect on house price inflation? Admittedly, those other factors probably wouldn't fit with your own personal prejudices though. How do you feel about communism? That would surely address the inter-generational selfishness that you ascribe to those who wish to help their children.

RC

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » September 3rd, 2022, 1:11 pm

Tara wrote:These people who never stop telling everyone about the huge money and fortunes they have made from owning UK houses never seem to give a thought to the consequences of their greed, and the terrible effect that it has had on younger generations in the UK who can no longer afford a house.

Back in my younger years, shortly after buying my first home (a tiny one bed maisonette) as a younger-generation-individual, interest rates rose to north of 15% and the value of the property halved. Selling wasn't a option (paramount to being left with no place to live along with a large/expensive mortgage debt still outstanding). I was working 7 days/week, overtime every day, even had to move out for a while and back into mum/dads in order to rent it out just in order to help cover the mortgage when the interest rate peaked at around 17% IIRC. It can be difficult either way (such as compared to recent high prices, access to fixed low mortgage rates). Either way if you make the sacrifices (no holidays, working overtime/multiple jobs ..etc.) in order to become a owner occupier, then longer term that can yield benefits.

I paid around £40K for that place, that subsequently saw the value drop to something like £25K. In inflation adjusted terms £40K then = £135K recent inflation adjusted value, and a 15% mortgage on that = £20K/year interest only. I guess the same place today might cost £250K, but with recent options to have locked into perhaps a 4% interest rate, £10K/year interest only. Whilst we had the benefit of declining interest rates helping to push prices upward we were paying (saving) twice as much for that 'benefit'. In the opposite direction if you bought at £250K and later saw prices having halved, but had also drip fed another £10K/year into stocks, I suspect the outcomes would tend to equally compare overall. Fundamentally no difference.

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » September 5th, 2022, 2:21 pm

So now just owning a house is greedy?

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » September 5th, 2022, 6:12 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote: How do you feel about communism? That would surely address the inter-generational selfishness that you ascribe to those who wish to help their children.

be careful what you wish for, a lot of under 30's are quite partial to communist ideas.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 5th, 2022, 9:07 pm

Lanark wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote: How do you feel about communism? That would surely address the inter-generational selfishness that you ascribe to those who wish to help their children.

be careful what you wish for, a lot of under 30's are quite partial to communist ideas.

Until they earn good money or inherit the parental home. Then they abandon them very quickly.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 6th, 2022, 10:09 am

absolutezero wrote:
vand wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:

TJH

If the share price keeps falling and then it pays you 16% of that a year, with the 16% drop in the share price plus the falling price, it doesn't take long to make the shares worth a hell of a lot less.

The answer lies in the free cash flow.

TJH

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 6th, 2022, 11:41 am

tjh290633 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
vand wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:

TJH

TJH

And they will have less of that as house prices fall.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 6th, 2022, 1:33 pm

absolutezero wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
vand wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:If they carry on paying dividends, the price can go where it likes.

TJH

TJH

Not necessarily, as it is the value of land that varies, not the cost of building a house on it. Just compare the price of houses with the costs of rebuilding them.

TJH

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 6th, 2022, 2:40 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
vand wrote:

TJH

Not necessarily, as it is the value of land that varies, not the cost of building a house on it. Just compare the price of houses with the costs of rebuilding them.

TJH

Cost of building a house will rise as the raw materials rise in price. Squeeze those profits
I saw something the other day that said the cost of manufacturing tiles in Spain has risen by over 1000% (not a typo)

Return to “The Economy”